Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banned Strain Names - OR

NebulaHaze

"But good things don’t come easily. We still have a long way to go, and the cannabis legalization movement is being scrutinized. The image we create now is going to set the tone for the rest of the world.
    We are the face of the cannabis community. When people think about legalizing cannabis, they’re looking at our actions. As growers, every one of us has a responsibility to represent the growing community in a positive light.
    Politicians around the world are trying to decide whether removing penalties for cannabis will have a positive effect. We are at an important turning point, and it could go either way.
    We've come to an important fork in the road
    I believe that making cannabis legal and available to adults and medical patients is incredibly important. Whether someone uses cannabis for a medical condition or just because it helps them relax, I believe that everyone should have fair and equal access to this miraculous plant.
    Yet with change comes responsibility. I believe that, as growers, we have a responsibility to present a good image to the public about growing cannabis. We must earn a better reputation to prove to the world that cannabis is not only a safe source of medicine, but also that cannabis is less dangerous than cigarettes or alcohol. I believe adults and medical patients deserve the freedom to responsibly use this plant.
    The world is watching us, and the way we act now is going to decide whether cannabis ever gets fully legalized. That’s why I’m ashamed of some of the most popular strain names...
    I am ashamed the cannabis growing community has popular strain names like...
    Agent Orange
    AK-47
    Cat Piss
    Strawberry Dog Shit
    Cheesy Dick
    Donkey Dick
    Purple Fuck
    Dirty Girl
    Stinky Pinky
    Road Kill Skunk
    Matanuska Thunderfuck
    Green Crack
    Herojuana
    L.S.D.
    I know a lot of these strains have great genetics, in fact some of them are award-winners!
    But do these strain names bring to mind the image of peace-loving and laid-back growers and consumers, which make up the majority of the cannabis community?

I believe we must improve our public image. I have chosen to no longer grow strains that carry an offensive name. Growers, I encourage you to do the same. Strain breeders, I'm begging you! Please be mindful of the cannabis movement when naming new strains."
    Ever wonder which cannabis breeders you can trust? Learn about 5 established breeders which have won several awards and earned a great reputation over the years...

OREGON LIQUOR CONTROL COMMISSION
    Bulletin: Clarification on Marijuana Products Attractiveness to Children and Strain Names

Goodbye, Grape Ape: Oregon Bans Kid-Friendly Strain Names

Clarification on Strain Names

1. Incredible Hulk
    2. Ewok
    3. Optimus Prime
    4. Light Saber
    5. Any Girl Scout Cookie – Dosidos, Thin Mints, etc.
    6. Frosted Flakes
    7. Lucky Charms
    8. Skittles
    9. Green Crack
    10. Opium
    11. Special K

These are the specific banned names and strains

(c) The attribution of unnatural or extra-human abilities, such as imperviousness to pain or injury, X-ray vision, tunneling at very high speeds or transformation.

Haha you are NOT allowed to say these things about the effects of your weed. I definitely see x-rayed vision when I toke that Bubba Kush

Comment

Ah OLCC, one of our lovely government agencies here in Oregon. I’m a bartender they have all kinds of fun rules for that. I’m sure they will have all kinds of fun rules they will come up with. Better than prohibition though.
      48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
      600w mh/hps
      32”x32”x63” veg tent
      viparspectra PAR 450 led
      FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
      5 gallon Smart Pots
      Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
      Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

> But do these strain names bring to mind the image of peace-loving and laid-back growers and consumers, which make up the majority of the cannabis community?
        Great post. Maybe you saw the segment on TV recently about trying to market cannabis products to women? The middle-aged woman who the filmmakers took around to various dispensaries commented on the same thing you mention, and said that most women (and mothers, specifically) probably don't want to buy or in any way be associated with products with names like "Green Crack."

I have always liked and laughed at the creative names that we have come up with, but I take the TV woman's and your point: maybe now that many of us are not outlaws anymore, it's time to clean up our act a little bit? (That really is a question.) And the market will expand beyond the stereotype outlaw stoner to a broader swath of society.

I'm predicting that as Agribusiness moves into the cannabis market and their ex-sorority-girl marketing majors get hold of the products, they'll come up with woman-friendly, woman-focused product names and messaging (just like they did with the "Luna" energy bar), like Goddess Flowers, Sylph Flowers, Moon Medicine, etc. etc.

And then still further market segmentation (which is already occurring) with primo, sun-grown, organic boutique gardens for the wealthy and discerning clientele with brand names to match, bargain basement generic brands for the PBR set, etc.

It's going to be interesting to watch the market evolve....
        Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 01-26-2018, 06:38 PM. Reason: Punctuation :P

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, Nebula put that post up a long time ago, I'm doing as she says.

Go Oregon! We have the MOST FUN, and the most SPECIFIC fun POLICE.
        Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Grape ape was on that list at some point I think
          x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• DingusKhan
            DingusKhan commented
            Editing a comment
            N***** pleez

I remember subcool had a huge falling out with High Times over the name "Agent Orange" a few years ago. High times wanted to change the name for an article, subcool wasnt having it. But at least that particular strain had a story behind the name. Just takes a quick Google .

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X