leaves turning colors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaves turning colors...

I'm having some random discoloration of a few leaves during my veg stage inside my space bucket.

Nirvana Blue Mystic autofem
    fox farm ocean forest
    espoma perlite
    23w (100w) daylight CFL x4
    IKEA LED dioder 4x around the side
    Fox Farm Big Bloom & Grow Big at 1/3 strength per the FF trio schedule found here http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...abis-chart.pdf
    temp around a steady 71-73 degrees
    humidity is low. 21-30 %. My basement is very dry in the winter.
    Poland Spring bottled water with General Hydroponic pH down to adjust to 6.0

I added a bit too much perlite and my soil is very airy. I actually think that's helping the plant achieve size. But it needs more moisture. The humidity in the bucket and outside the bucket in the laundry room is quite low.

My other issue is that the last 2 waterings, the run off pH was coming out at least 6.4.

Has anyone had similar spots? I'm not having luck exactly matching up with the Diagnosis page on GWE.

Thanks for the input as always!

Looks like a deficiency imo. Runoff at 6.4 is fine. are they getting enough water and food? if you have that low of RH your soil will dry quickly. Kind of looks like light bleaching as well. With too low of nitrogen.
    ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

I'm using FF nutes at 1/3 strength, I could bump to 1/2 strength. I had a fantastic Northern Light autofem grow with just Ocean Forest soil with no added nutes. I didn't want to overdue it. I added a light spacer to the bucket 2 days ago. It was starting to grow up closer to the light. There is a bit of yellow tipping at the top. I was just most concerned because those brown spots don't seem to be uniform in any way.

Comment

Calcium/magnesium deficiency.
        It's almost impossible to have too much perlite, cuz I've seen grows in nothing but perlite.
        I would also question your choice of using spring water.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Randy2310
          Randy2310 commented
          Editing a comment
          Why? I started using it because it was lower pH than the tap water to begin with. You could almost get away with doing nothing to the spring water and using just ocean forest in an absolute pinch (I had a great bucket grow with just that)

It seems like it could be lack of nitrogen or cal/mag. How would you compensate?

• Canuck147
          Canuck147 commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a product called CaliMagic

Randy2310

Yup I agree with Canuck about needing cal/mag.

Also spring water is a no no because it is full of minerals. All spring water comes from different places all with different amounts of minerals that can be bad for your plant.
        ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

Is there a difference between the brands for mixing? Like with using the FF trio is it ok to use the GH CaliMagic vs Botanicare Cal-Mag?

Comment

Today I did a flush watering. The runoff pH from the previous watering was high (almost 6.6). I used regular tap water, not spring, no added nutrients, and adjusted the pH to 5.8-6.0. Used the entire gallon jug. I'll test the the runoff tonight.

Comment

Not to be contrary, but a young plant in a hot, premium soil that is also being fertilized? That doesn't sound like a deficiency to me; it sounds like nutrient overload. (Looks like it too: look at the burned tips on the new growth). I'd suggest stopping the fertilizer immediately.
              Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 01-27-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy2310 View Post
                Is there a difference between the brands for mixing? Like with using the FF trio is it ok to use the GH CaliMagic vs Botanicare Cal-Mag?
                I wouldn't worry about using Brand X fertilizer with Brand Y Ca/Mg supplement (but I also don't think you need a supplement).

Comment

Originally posted by UrbZ View Post
                  Also spring water is a no no because it is full of minerals. All spring water comes from different places all with different amounts of minerals that can be bad for your plant.
                  Man, I am really Mr. Contrary today, but I've gotta tell ya, we have springs around here that have almost no mineral content whatsoever. That all depends on what kind of rock the water is flowing over, so you really can't say categorically that all spring water is to be avoided. (And sometimes the minerals present are actually beneficial--you have to take it on a case by case basis, which is where having a PPM meter and a correctly calibrated pH meter comes in. They won't tell you everything, but good readings are a good start.)
                  Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 01-27-2018, 02:27 PM. Reason: More ;)

Comment

• UrbZ
                    UrbZ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The problem with that is, when using a ppm meter it only tells you the ppm. not what makes up the ppm.

Say the spring is 250 ppm water. You dont know if its 150 ppm of calcium, 25 ppm of magnesium, ect, ect. To reach that 250.

Say you start adding cal/mag to this spring water
                    and it is already super high in calcium now you are poisoning your plants.

The only way I would ever use spring water is if the bottle says what makes up its ppm.

I have the same issue with my well water. It starts at 380 ppm. I have no idea what chemical composition makes up my ppm. Without getting it tested to know exactly.

Not only that I know that a good lot of springs are high in iron. I would try to avoid these issues if at all possible myself. Especially if its not processed and right out of the spring.

Originally posted by Randy2310 View Post
                  Today I did a flush watering. The runoff pH from the previous watering was high (almost 6.6). I used regular tap water, not spring, no added nutrients, and adjusted the pH to 5.8-6.0. Used the entire gallon jug. I'll test the the runoff tonight.
                  Usually I'm a vocal opponent of the recent mania for flush flush flush, but in your case, a good rinse to help reduce what looks like excess is probably just what's needed.

One more bit of contrarian advice: Don't worry TOO much about pH, especially when using modern, premium fertilizers that are buffered and chelated just so they will work over a broad range of pHs.
                  Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 01-27-2018, 02:34 PM. Reason: More

Comment

I'm with the Dr. On this. I tried using all those fancy meters. After 3 weeks they ended up in the trash. They caused me to chase and micromanage every aspect of my grow. I would spend 4 hours in a 4x4 tent with no better results than just mixing my nutes and dumping them in. I spend about an hour a night between both of my 3x3 tents, a 2x4 veg area and a modi clone dome.
                    I say toss the meters, and follow instructions. We had a saying in the army, "if all else fails, follow instructions."

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                      D.A.A.S.69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I ain't trying to be rude, but you can throw yours away, but I'm keeping mine.
                      Been growing outdoors in soil all my life, an I know soil has got buffers, but that ph meter, damn sure comes in handy.
                      And when your growing outside,illegal, you'll be glad to use clear ,running creek water, been doing it 50 f-ckin years with no problems, except deer and a few pot poachers ,an Im pretty sure the 2 thiefs, we caught aint coming back .
                      Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 01-27-2018, 10:37 PM.

It's all good D.A.S.S. To each his or her own. There's just so many people relying on these meters as of it's the word of some supreme being. Especially noobs. For new folks everyone suggests all these crazy meters and they try to micro manage these plants constantly. Any time pH swings .2 it seems folks are in a panic. If you follow the instructions on the bottles until you get the basics down, use PROPER nutrition, use an appropriate media, and the great Google machine 99% of these problems can be avoided. It seems most just grab a few seeds, miracle grow soil and feed. Mostly because they spent too much money on the fancy smancy meters, then wonder why there are problems. Noobs should be spending money on proper basic nutrition. Instead of $30 on a pH meter and $30 on an ec meter, that could have bought proper pots, a bag of coco and a basic 3 part nute system. There are places you can cut corners, but if you want a trouble free grow, the proper basic necessity's are key. Meters can come later when they're a bit more advanced or something goes sideways.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X