Time for a new pH pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new pH pen

Well my hanna pH pen went from not working worth a crap to not working at all, batteries ...maybe,dont care i'm gonna upgrade. What i'm looking for is experienced grower opinions, please no tutorial links or web directions. "I already know how to google stuff"I just value your opinions my friends, ya'll know the drill pros...cons etc. Thanks

I like my Hanna combo EC/pH meter
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• RosettaStoned
      RosettaStoned commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I'm not very experienced though. Just finished my first grow. All I know is mine is a hand me down, probably over 8 years old. The probe was changed once before me. I calibrated it once and has been spot on. Just needs a little cleaning every now and then. Pretty hard to argue with an electronic device that last that long these days. If you take care of your tools, they take care of you. If you treat them like shit, you get shitty results.

I got one of those "pens" at Amazon. I used it 3 times before going back to the drops.Way too much trouble calibrating and such for me anyway (still in the package on the closet shelf).

Comment

BlueLab pH pen
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

Originally posted by RosettaStoned View Post
        I like my Hanna combo EC/pH meter
        A combination unit sounds like a great idea since I always measure both anyway. But yowza, $150!
        Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknownuttin View Post
          I got one of those "pens" at Amazon. I used it 3 times before going back to the drops.Way too much trouble calibrating and such for me anyway (still in the package on the closet shelf).
          The General Hydroponics pH drops that came with my pH Up and Down has two colors to compare with on the side of the bottle: orange for pH 5 and yellow-green for pH 6. Yes, calibrating a pen and keeping the glass tip wet all the time (which you should do for long life and best accuracy--trust me, I used to work in a lab) is a pain, but at least it gives me results that are accurate to one decimal place. Drops don't give me anywhere near acceptable resolution.
          Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 01-22-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Locrian99
            Locrian99 commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the pens, I have such a hard time with the drops and does that look right not to mention and I’m convinced my brownish nute water is going to have an effect on those drops. I keep some of those ph test strips on hand in case I think my pen is giving me funny readings. I did forget to put the cap on one day, it was acting odd. Steadily dropping never stopping with distilled water read my well water fine. cleaned the probe with some distilled water and a tooth brush checked the calibration and it’s worked great since again.

• RosettaStoned
            RosettaStoned commented
            Editing a comment
            Usually all they need is a cleaning if taken care of. And for sure keep the pH probe wet. Just a couple drops of some storage solution into the cap and put it on, done. Just remember to rinse before next use

Rosey,doc, 99,ozzy and DKN Thanks for the input. When I got my pen I lost the cap right straightaway so I filled a pill bottle half way with storage solution & drilled a 5/8 in. hole in the cap problem solved. I did the gentle brush clean and calibrated still wonky results. I've been doing the drops,just look for pea green & call it good. On my next grow I want to try being a little more exact with things and see if it makes that much difference.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Bluelab, like Oz. said, they got em on Amazon for 150bucks.

I’d say GH drops they work for me I just make sure it goes to yellow when I check it and let it go up to yellow green which is about 6.5 according to the bottle and so far no problems at all except one time when I let it go up to green which is like 7 plus I believe. I only grow one plant at a time and been using it since I started 4 grows ago and all is good..

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            What you gonna do when you nutes change your water color, like molasses does, ?
            Nothin wrong with drops, but meters are way more accurate, an very often you need to be very accurate.

This is what I have.

Super easy to use, has a smiley face when in the right ph zone and also gives temp readings which gives me peace of mind in my hydro bucket. The only con is it's a bit pricier than most pens.

Comment

Blue lab is my go to pen but I always keep a cheep backup in the wings just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMO View Post
              Well my hanna pH pen went from not working worth a crap to not working at all, batteries ...maybe,dont care i'm gonna upgrade. What i'm looking for is experienced grower opinions, please no tutorial links or web directions. "I already know how to google stuff"I just value your opinions my friends, ya'll know the drill pros...cons etc. Thanks
              Here ya go at $19,999.00 with no tax and free shipping it's a steal. https://hannainst.com/hi902c-automat...xoC8IIQAvD_BwE It has gotta be an upgrade.

With my googling i did find batteries for your old meter for around $20.00. Looks like it might be a good meter worth repairing. Of course there are far cheaper meters on Amazon.
              Last edited by starramus; 01-23-2018, 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                RosettaStoned commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what mine were.

You might take the batteries out of the pen, and check the battery numbers. Hanna is not showing the actual number in any of the pics. The pics do look like a common watch battery number LR 41. If so they can be obtained from Amazon for 10 batteries at $4.20. Check the batteries and maybe save some dough. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

D.A.A.S.69 I have used molasses and with my nutes and all I still get an accurate reading. So far no problems ( knock on wood) I guess it’s just a preference thing. I just don’t get it when people post they check with they’re drops if they feel the pen is off or acting weird. What’s the point of the pen if you trust the drops reading over the pen’s reading? Sometimes I would like to be dead on a 5.5 or on 6.3 whatever it may be but on GWE it says NOT to ph you water to the acact reading every time because plants absorb nutes at different numbers so as long as your within range your good.. like I said so far that’s been working for me. On the Sirius tutorial on DWC he recommends the drops keep it simple. I do have a pen for my ppm and water temps though just like the tutorial.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X