Leaves curling up, new growth is twisted/distorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Leaves curling up, new growth is twisted/distorted

I am new to the forum, this is my first post. Also this happens to be my first indoor grow. I live in a highly prohibitive state, so any help locally is not in question. The leaves on my plants are curling up (taco-ing). Also the new growth is coming in twisted and distorted. I just noticed today the tips look to have some slight nutrient burn, so I just flushed the plants today, post picture, with ph’d water and GH Floraclean. I only flushed the capacity of the pots (3 gallon) since I only noticed slight nutrient burn. As for my set-up: I am growing in a 4x4x8 grow tent. I am using flood and drain, with coco/perlite (50/50) in 3 gallon fabric pots (I just transplanted from 1 gallon fabric pots about 2 days ago). I was flooding the 1 gallon bags at ~2” for 5 minutes once a day. I started flooding the 3 gallon bags at 1” for 15 minutes a day. I have been changing out solution every 2 weeks. I am running GH Flora series nutes + CaliMagic + Armor Si + Botanicair Hydroguard. My PH runs between 5.7-6.0, using ph down to adjust. I am using tap water, from my well, which runs 200-250 ppm. My current nutrient solution is at 1100 ppm. It is currently at 1/1/1, trying to transition to flower. I cut the lights back to 16/8, was working my down to 12/12 to flower. My plants are ~18-20” @ 8 weeks old. I manifolded them. My light is a 315 CMH, kept at 20” from canopy currently. Temps run 70-75 degrees F, Humidity runs 40-55. I’m running a 6” extraction fan with filter, running mostly on passive intake, but also have a 6” intake fan in case I need to cool down quickly. I have a 12” oscillating fan mounted high in the tent kept on low, along with 2- 6” clip fans clipped to grow tray to blow around the posts to aid in drying the media. I’m running 2 strains: 1 is called Flambed Fofana, which was a freebie from seed order. The other is a ghost train haze mix. I chose to run these in order to get this first grow under my belt, and learn/dial in my set up. I didn’t want to waste my good seeds. The new growth has been coming in twisted, and the leaves have been curling, but it seems to have gotten worse. I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have any of you seen this before?

Looks like a boron deficiency.

Boron deficiencies are rare and appear as brown blotches in the center of leaves. See what a cannabis boron deficiency looks like and learn how to treat it!
    ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

Thank you UrbZ. I see that it says it can suffer from boron deficiency from stress. Maybe I am/was overwatering/underwatering with the flood and drain schedule?

Comment

It looks pretty advanced to me as well. The one pics your leaves are curling up around the edges. This can be from heavy underwatering or too hot temps for the plant.

what have your temperatures been looking like?

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

• CaptainShamrock
          CaptainShamrock commented
          Editing a comment
          70-75 degrees F on the temps. Underwatering could be possible, as I’m not sure I have the flood schedule dialed in. Gets as low as 70 at night, as high as 75 during the day

So your temps are perfect.

You said those are in 3 gallon pots? If so with the size of your plants in the size of your pot you almost might want to be watering twice a day once in the morning once at night.

I've never grown in Coco but somebody else should be able to jump on and help and let you know if we're headed in the right direction.

Comment

• CaptainShamrock
          Editing a comment
          Sweet thank you! I have just recently transplanted to the 3 gal, about 2 days ago. Was in 1 gal. I actually work a 14-14 schedule, where I’m gone for 14 days. When I returned the media was dry, after watering the plant at 5 minutes the day before. If it is underwatering, that’s probably where it occurred? Nevertheless I will take your advice and try twice a day and see if I notice a change

That all seems very possible severe dehydration cause some of your symptoms then the stress from the dehydration creates the Boron deficiency

Comment

My two cents are that it is a deficiency, not a burn. If it were "burn" would affect old leaves more than new. I am not sure if its Boron, but symptoms seem to match. If it is a result of under-watering as Urbz suggests, I would dramatically increase your watering. It will be tough or impossible to over-water 50/50 Coco perlite. I recommend watering until run-off everyday. Not sure what your numbers translate to, but keep the coco wet all the way through.

Comment

• CaptainShamrock
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Campesino. I’m running a flood and drain, so just flood 2-3 times a day as opposed to once? In the beginning, I tried to keep it wet, but I ended up having algae starting to grow on the top layer of coco. If this happens again, will the algae affect anything?

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            The algae is not typically a problem. If you get a very think layer of algae it can become a breeding ground for mildew so just break up the surface periodically.
            If the flood is not soaking the coco from top to bottom I would adjust watering quantity, frequency, or method.

Awesome! Sounds easy enough. Thank you

Comment

For a second I thought this was damage from dicamba (look it up for fun, its a major herbicide lol). Anyways Twisted growth tips? Younger nodes with chlorosis? Growth tip looks kinda like a rosette? Yup, I agree with the other members about your boron deficiency. Make sure you take care of this before you start flowering. Otherwise, your plants will have to abort their flowers. This is the first time I've seen that with cannabis. In the commercial setting, you would spray your plants with a borax solution. However, in your case, make sure that your pots are absorbing enough nutrient solution. Either increase the amount of time that your table is flooded or increase the frequency of flooding.
            Last edited by Therocketsurgeon; 01-21-2018, 07:50 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              Excellent, thank you Rocketsurgeon. That would would have been my next question, whether I should go ahead and start flower or not! I have increased the flood schedule to 3 times a day, instead of the one. I guess if I don’t see recovery, I will increase again. As far as recovery goes, will I see recovery in the already twisted leaves? Or only in new growth?

• Therocketsurgeon
              Therocketsurgeon commented
              Editing a comment
              So boron is a weird nutrient. In some plants it's mobile (e.g. grapes) and in others it's not (e.g. broccoli) but it looks like it's immobile in cannabis. So when your plant recovers, the twisted leaves will stay twisted but any new growth will look normal.

If all suggestions do not solve this, try raising your light, how hot is that 315?

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like heat -light stress to me.,jus sayin. The tops of the plants are what gets effected by the stress, not the old growth.

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              Thanks GroJimmy. Temps range 70-75 at canopy. 70 low at night, 75 high during the day. Is that what you mean? I have the light at 20” above the plants currently. Maybe try about 24” or so?

D.A.A.S.69, makes sense, I kind of thought that at first but the temps have been good. I guess they can get light stress even without too much heat?

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not me, but I know people that set their lights at the top of the tent an let them grow up to their lights, they never move their lights unless the plants get within 20inches.

• GroJimmy
              GroJimmy commented
              Editing a comment
              I do a modified Manifold on my plants, this prevents stretch during veg and allows more room between light and plant, I try keeping my girls at 38" or less, I veg under T5, then to the HPS.

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              That’s good to know. I’ve got about 18 more inches or so left in my tent. As soon as I get this problem fixed I’m going to flip them to flower. I did a manifold on these, I guess if they start pushing the height too much I can bend or super crop a little. After I get a grow or two in and get this setup dialed in I may try to leave the light high and let the plants grow to it

Taco on upper leaves. Oh, forgot to mention, I have my light on a light rail mover, had it stop for one minute on each return, that was appearantly too long.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by GroJimmy; 01-21-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• GroJimmy
              GroJimmy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes they did, and I removed the delay on the light mover, no more stopping. I'm using the Revolution DEva 1000 DE, this also has square wave technology like the CMH. And it's fricken hot!! One actually needs 12 foot ceilings for this light.

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              I’ve read those double end lights are hot. There’s no freaking way I’d be able to handle that kind of heat in my space lol!

• GroJimmy
              GroJimmy commented
              Editing a comment
              This has been a challenge, my room Temps run mid to low 70s, but a half minute under that light and it gets toasty, would not be able to use without the light mover.

To be honest it looks like a root issue. Was it doing this before the transplant? If your roots got tangled during the switch or weren't set correctly you could get root entanglement. Also with combination of roots issues overwater can cause cupping of leaves. Food for though. Seems to me twice a day is feeding it a lot of water

Comment

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Growmax. It was doing this before transplant. I’m growing in fabric pots, went from 1 gal to 3 gal. Was feeding once a day, flooding 2” for 5 minutes. Running 50/50 coco/perlite

• UrbZ
              UrbZ commented
              Editing a comment
              Im still pretty sure you are going to need to water more than once daily. You have a 50/50 mix in 3 gallon pots the draining and drying capability of your mix is huge.

You have to remember coco is more like hydro than it is like soil. I have a buddy who runs 3 gallon smart pots with coco/ perlite. He only has a 70/30 mix compared to your 50/50. And he waters 3 times a day no issues.

It will be nearly impossible to over water 50/50 mix of coco/perlite. Im pretty sure youll be fine with a twice a day feed.

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              Urbz, I was flooding the 1 gal bags at 2” for 5 minutes once a day. After transplant to the 3 gallon, I went to 1” for 15 minutes once a day. After your recommendations and others, I increased my feedings from once daily to 3 times daily, and from 5 minute floods to 15 minute floods. I also increased the flood depth back up from 1” to 2”.

Okay sounds good. Are your floods set in exact hourly increments l. Like say do they go off every 8 hours? Just keep an eye on them for any beginning signs of overwatering. If it does does happen to occur I would say keep your depth at 2 inches and your flood timer at 15 mins. Just back it down to 2 times daily once every 12 hours.

Comment

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              No flooding during lights off correct?

• UrbZ
              UrbZ commented
              Editing a comment
              As long as you've got good air circulation you should be fine to water at lights out. Hydro tables run their cycle at night and I dont see why it would hurt in coco if its automated. You could set it for exactly 8 hour increments. IMO

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              Ok good to know!

Urbz definitely knows better about coco then I do. I grow in fox farms, so feeding is much much different

Comment

• CaptainShamrock
              Editing a comment
              No doubt about the difference Growmax! Soil definitely holds on to water quite a bit longer than coco. Especially perlite mixed coco

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X