HELP! First harvest cure problems. Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! First harvest cure problems. Smell

The buds have a funky smell that I wouldn't really describe as ammonia. I first noticed this smell while I was trimming. It wasn't that bad at first, but it got so intense as I was trimming that I ended up getting nauseous. I hung them up to dry for about 6 days (rh steady around 50-55) until the smaller stems snapped and they felt dry. At this point it all smelled like dry grass. I jarred them and checked again in 12 hours. The rh in the jars were 58, but I was worried about that smell so I burped them and they completely reeked of that really pungent odor again. I jarred them and checked on them again in 12 hours. The rh was at 57 so I checked the smell and it was still there. At this point I thought it was mold so I took all the buds out of the jars and put them on cardboard. They are completely dry on the outside so I snapped one in half but there was no mold and no more smell. I checked with 5 jars and it was all the same. When I open the jar I smell it, but when I bring out the buds they smell completely like dead grass. So I left them out a bit, and then I jarred them. I burped one of the jars again this morning and there the smell was. My fiance swears up and down that it just smells like really intense bud, and I agree that it does have hints of normal smelling bud, but with how early I am in the cure (2 days) shouldn't it smell only like dead grass? What do you all think?

Pictures of the buds, please. Close ups.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

The ammonia smell is troubling, be very sure there is no mold before smoking..
      Bovida 62 packs will get your jar humidity back up to 62% where you want it.
      completed 7 grows
      what I have learned so far:
      environment maters more than nutrients
      at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
      effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• Dominok56
        Dominok56 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Im putting the packs in today. I wanted to make sure the rh was stable first.

It might just be the smell of ya bud I have has bud that burns my eyes while trimming up at harvest so a funky smell might just be the aroma that particular plant puts out.
      It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

I have grow AK-48 that smelled like, there's no other way to say it... cat piss, especially when flowering. Love the high and the smell does tone down after long cure.
        DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
        315 LEC
        6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
        6" Carbon filter
        3- 6" fans
        humidifier
        temp and humidity gauge
        5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
        FF trio nutrients

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	742B25D3-3FB9-46D1-B797-B24CEEA998E1.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	163824Click image for larger version

Name:	42B2B341-26B7-490D-94CC-63DDA8F7B9AD.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	163825Click image for larger version

Name:	8D983BE6-9CB8-4C69-BDB3-2F8F2FAA8DA5.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	163826Click image for larger version

Name:	D059D78A-6934-42AC-9F24-7A4BEB6D0827.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	163827

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Dominok, the buds look very good and mold-free to me; what is the strain? You could look up the strain and type in something like bad smell.

Hopefully, the bad smell will go away and be replaced with a good smell!!

• Dominok56
            Dominok56 commented
            Editing a comment
            alltatup the strain is Wonder Woman by Nirvana. That particular smell has gotten less intense. It's more of a subtle gasoline with the smallest hints of berry now.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Dominok56 Yes, some folks love that diesel smell... I'll bet she's gonna be great smoke.

The smell has really went down, but here are the pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	0EB6A072-3F75-4337-A0B7-17FC8C90632F.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	163830

Comment

Dominok56 These look pretty nice to me! From what you describe, id say you just have some funky smelling bud. The grass smell isnt all that unusual for some strains. I harvested a NL and Blueberry about two weeks ago and the BB was really green smelling but after two weeks of jar burping its mellowed substantially. These are nice looking buds man. Dont waste em!!!
            Organic only soil grower
            Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
            Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

• Dominok56
              Dominok56 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. It all smells like dead grass now, but the natural scents are starting to come out.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X