Adjustable Digital Ballast Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable Digital Ballast Question

Thanks to all the growers out there who have contributed to GWE with their time and energy answering questions and sharing their Knowledge. My latest brain storm.

If you already have an adjustable 1000W digital ballast can you use a 600 watt bulb and still only be using 600 watts max at any one time or will I still be using 1000 watts and stepping down to 600Ws but using 1000W?
    Last edited by Paracelsus; 01-13-2018, 08:03 AM.
    My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
    The universities do not teach all things

I have a adjustable ballast 600 watt digital I’ve never tried a 400 or a 200 watt bulb. I am curious tho hope somebody will chime in with the answer lol

Comment

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      seems 600W is the magic number for efficiency as far as MH/HID bulbs go KW to Lumen production, maybe you could check with your Ballasts manufacturer

I run a 400 watt 10K rated MH bulb in my 600 watt rated Silis Tek ballast. I set the switch to 400 and turn it on works great!

Comment

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      Did it affect the number of kW per hour you are using ?
      BTW The 600W is the most efficient bulb
      400W = 4000 lumens per 100W
      600W = 17000 lumens per 100W
      1000W = 14000 lumens per 100W

look here start at 20:00
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If i understand the question right u alrdy have the 1000 watt with dimmable ballast and u want to use a 600 watt bulb that's all good as long as u dim to 600 but a 600 watt bulb is not made to use 1000 watts of electricity

Comment

• St.buds
      St.buds commented
      Editing a comment
      Ur ballast will regulate a draw of 600 for u

using the 400 watt bulb I realized a 32% reduction in my electricity bill over using my 600 watt bulb over the same time amount.

Comment

Thank you all dontknownuttin , St.buds , Potted even the grow boss answered this one on YT
      I was under the impression that only the high end digital ballasts could do this
      GWE to the rescue
      My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
      The universities do not teach all things

Comment

this is all from Solis-Tek sebsite:

Yes, you can use different wattage lamps in the SolisTek 1000w digital ballast, however it is not recommended and you may experience shorter lamp life. A 1000 watt ballast outputs 200-250V to the lamp, while 400 &600 watt lamps operate on 100-150V to the lamp.

Can I run a 400 watt lamp in the SolisTek 600 watt dimmable ballast?

Yes, you can run a 400 watt lamp in the 600 watt ballast dimmed to the 400 watt setting. Since the voltage output for the 600w ballast is the same as the 400 watt lamp this combination has no issues.

Last edited by KingKush; 01-13-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I know you are looking at hard evidence, I will tinker around with my multimeter today and see what's actually going on.

It would seem that if it's pulling fewer amps, that there would be a reduction in electrical consumption as you dial down.

Comment

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah I wish I could see my meter wheel like in the old days, the particular ballasts available to me are a 600 and a 1000 Lumatek's. I haven't done the deal yet but its hard to say no.

I use a 400 watt bulb set to 400 watts not a 600 watt bulb turned down to 400.

Comment

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks DNK I appreciate that. I am going to have a few options for low power, some T'5's are part of the deal. Blower fan, light mover, extra hood. Craig's list has almost everything (except tropical islands)

Some ballast manufacturers say it's ok to dial your ballast down from say 600 to 400 and use a 400W lamp (globe) in it. Others say you can dim it down but if its a 600W ballast it must still have a 600W lamp in it just dimmed down.
          Lamps are the same, some are designed to be able to be dimmed, others must be operated at their rated wattage or it can shorten life and alter the spectrum output.
          Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
          600W HPS
          Coco
          GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
          Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            Seems counter intuitive to good engineering but anything to make a buck and hyp marketing. I think your answer below from Lumatek lays it out, I'll just have to wait till I take delivery. Meanwhile what do you use to clean hoods and bulbs?

• OzBud
            OzBud commented
            Editing a comment
            bulbs I always handle with a soft cloth when putting in & taking out so the acid and oils from my hands don't get on it. I just give it a wipe with the cloth after setting up the light.
            To clean the hood I use something like this

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks OzBud

I use a digital lumatek Pro 600W 400Volt (yes volt, I live in Aus where 230V is the norm and the ballast works its magic and steps it up to 400V). Works great.

This comes from the Lumatek website: Lamp Replacement

Be sure to disconnect the power source before changing lamps. Always use the specified wattage of lamp. The Super Lumen range of E-Ballasts are specific to one particular wattage i.e. only a 400W lamp should be used in a 400W ballast. However, the Dimmable Multi-Watt range of Lumatek E-Ballasts can drive lamps corresponding to the particular E-Ballast output settings i.e. the 400W Dimmable E-Ballast will drive both 400W and 250W lamps.. Lumatek recommends lamp replacement every 6-12 months.
          Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
          600W HPS
          Coco
          GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
          Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• OzBud
            OzBud commented
            Editing a comment
            Lumateks come with or without the Super Lumen, If it has the super lumen option on it then it must be used with the same wattage lamp as the ballast.

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks OZ I still don't know exactly which thousand watt model it is, the 600 will be used at full power so that's good to go no matter which model. These bulbs will be fine for 2 grows at least switching from MH to HID after veg. I really appreciate the definitive answer OzBud.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X