A Newbie With A Couple Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Newbie With A Couple Questions

I have a couple questions: First, this will be my first grow (though I've spent quite a bit of time studying and researching in preparation). I'm in the process of setting up a 4x4 grow tent which will be in a closet and house 5 plants (in a coco-perlite medium and GH flora trio and calimagic)under approximately 660(true)w cfl/led combo (2x 400w Roleadro COB; 4x 65w (6500k for veg 2700k for flower) cfl(300W equivalent) by Loadstone Studio). The cfls will be housed in 2 8.5" clip reflectors with "Y" splitters. I was planning on placing the cfls on the side of the plants (maybe a third of the way below the canopy) with one reflector(and the 2 bulbs) on the left and the other on the right. I haven't purchased the cfl setup yet (the leds are here)-- which will cost about $50 initially and an additional $35 for the 2700k bulbs for flower--and I'm wondering what the green-thumbed vets think of my plan (will this be sufficient light for 5 purple haze plants? and if not, will increasing the cfls to say 4x85w be enough or do I need to upgrade the led?). Now Second, The closet has an AC duct vent in the ceiling. I was wondering if it is advisable to run the intake fan from the top of the tent, near the the Ac vent in the closet, and the exhaust fan through the bottom. Also, I don't have the option of running an exhaust duct out of the house, but I can run it out of the closet and into the room where there is both an ac intake and a vent. Is this permissible? Are there any issue I should be aware of, or problems I may run into with this setup; and if so, what would you advise?

Those Cob lights oughta be enough for A 4x4 tent. If you feel you need more light after your first run then go from there. Reviews on those lights are saying they have great light penetration for a 2x2 area. Don't have an answer for you on the venting unfortunately.

Comment

Hey Yahu2018, what size pots are you gonna use ? Those cfls are great for sticking in a tent, they do good ,but I think I'd rather have more of the 23-26watt cfls ,they do better.
      I had 2 of those roleandro cobs too, and they work fine, except 1 of mine went bad, an I sent it back, but they sure work good on plants.
      Good Luck an welcome to GWE, Jahu2018
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

5 gal smart pots

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          You ought to have plenty of room as long as your plants don't grow to big.
          I wish i could help you with your air circulation, but I use a tent with exaust fans.
          Someone will be on here in a minute though I'm sure, that knows what to tell you.

Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement

Comment

• Zomb
          Zomb commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to reading about your journey. Gonna make a grow journal?

• yahu2018
          yahu2018 commented
          Editing a comment
          yes, I'll certainly be logging this journey

• Zomb
          Zomb commented
          Editing a comment
          Right on

Welcome yahu2018.
        my experience is cfls run hot. Heat rises. So having the exhaust out the bottom and cold air entering from the top will make for tough temperature control without a hurricane of wind. I'm not saying that you can't do it. Just will be tough keeping things in the sweet spot. Either way I hope that you keep us updated. Cheers
        "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

I agree with CaliforniaKid, you should bring fresh air in low and exhaust up high because heat rises. That should be easy to do with a little extra duct in your tent. I bring freah air in from adjacent room and exhaust into another room. I guestion bringing fresh air through HVAC duct. Don't know how well it would work unless furnace/AC is running and when furnace is running make up air will be too hot. Also, if you exhaust into vents, without good carbon filter, you will push the fragrance of your plants throughout entire house! I just built a new grow space and it takes a few refinements no matter how well you try to plan!!! Good luck and ask questions. There is a lot of knowledge on this site.
          DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
          315 LEC
          6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
          6" Carbon filter
          3- 6" fans
          humidifier
          temp and humidity gauge
          5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
          FF trio nutrients

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X