No announcement yet.

Grow Journal - First Grow. part way through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question? Now I wonder again about combining lighting. i have the 600 W MH working at 75% and will replace with what says it is an enhanced spectrum HPS. I have 4 of 45 w grow lights, 2 panels and two sockets. my friend who gave them to me says both are fairly good for blooming. Would side lighting with these be of any use? He only did little tiny grows, and says mine isw already way beyond anything he got - thank you folks! What about adding the 300W LED since it's kinda a different light and doesnt give off much heat?? I bet I could control the daytine temp with it on, and could aim it from slightly to the side. Maybe even put it on timer with shorter cycle than the main HID.
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

So, here we go. I am away till next weekend , then for a month. Gonna miss a lot of the cool stuff. I happened to misjudge, and the team went into dehydration, looking pretty wilted. An amazing recovery, and I think they liked the little dose of black-strap molasses. I didn't get a big trimming done, but will next weekend, which will be almost 4 weeks after switch to 12 12. just didn't get time before lights out. Darn work ! Anyway, photos are from tonight. team shot, then individual shots from each with White Rhino first at front left, then critical widow at front right, followed by blueberry , then Cinderella 99. I think they are looking quite nice, but they don't seem to be having the stretch. they are still growing each day, but - I guess i am just getting impatient now. maybe I need more? I think maybe at least I will get the HPS bulb put in by my wife tomorrow night. almost 3 weeks from switch-over, and still have a foot of room to grow. Thanks for looking. If the girls have trouble while I'm away, I have no doubt there is help readily available here.
      Attached Files
      A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Bootsy, your plants are nice an healthy looking, an I bet you wont have a foot of growing space for very long.

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        I will be so glad to experience this the first time. I thought it was basically the first three weeks of stretch. Oh well - it so far has worked out, and blind luck follows me around most of the time. thanks guys. Wifey will be watching closely and open to suggestions

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Morning Bootsy, yes indeed, they are not thru growing up by any means. Nice plants, good luck with them Bootsy an Wife.

I am finally home for the weekend. got down to see the girls, and there is some fairly extreme yellowing happening on two, and a little on one. lower leaves, so from what i have read, that should be Nitrogen deficiency? I would love suggestions as to my way ahead. We picked up the stuff in the photo on the way home from airport (recommended as they use it by three guys at the hydro store), but that was before seeing the leaves. Think I should use this stuff? I will be out of town for the next month, so anything has to take limited expertise or it would lead to wifely rebellion, and she's been a trooper. sorry about the quality of the photos, i messed up using the flash. I also have some Neptune seaweed stuff being dropped off tomorrow, and black strap molasses. I'm trying to stay relatively organic (sales guys said this stuff was. Help? Is this bad? 24 days of 12:12 lighting. will they still grow? hope so. They have only had two waterings with molasses total ,other than that, just water for the living soil. Also, apparently they got pretty dry today, and got watered, but not a lot. So - some positive comments. they look great to me, but i have never seen flowers in person. quite a size difference, for the White Rhino, since that pot is raised least 7 inches . The individual photos are, in order Cinderella 99, Blueberry, Critical Widow and White Rhino. I intend to give them a real trimming this weekend, and those yellow ones will be gone. Cheers!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Morning Bootsy, very nice plants, a little wilting ain't never hurt none of mine, I think it does em some good when the soil dries out, as long as you don't wait to long .

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        What DAAS said, it's okay. You don't necessarily need to add nitrogen. I would do it only if you've been defoliating heavily, and think you might run out of leaves before you finish. Not really your case. And occasionally letting your soil dry out enough for a little wilt is a good thing.

• Cronk
        Cronk commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm far from an expert and you should definitely trust these guys over me, but the yellowing with spots on the close ups look like the calmag deficiency photos on GWE.

This is a late posting, but I have been busy with job and relocation. this posting is basically from the morning of the 28th Jan. they were fed last night, with 1/3 dosage of Neptune Liquid Seaweed. i also added a cup or two of worm castings as well as a quarter cup of bat guano mixed into the surface of each pot. the shots are just after trimming. They haven't done the flowering stretch, so I am assuming that the day/night temperature inversion worked in controlling stretch , maybe too much. I thought i had disengaged the night time heater, but when I checked the night before, it was still on. night temp at 75.6, where day was only 74. Correct me, but the lack of height will limit production, eh. Darn. Comments please, even thought it's too late for this session , i am learning for next. Photos are: 1st two White Rhino, next three are Blueberry, followed by two of Cinderella 99, and final three of Critical Widow. When the tent is open for awhile, or the plants are taken out, the whole house smells. It is nice, but very noticeable.
      Attached Files

Comment

Next posting. Pre-trimming. These are photos taken with my wife's phone on 2 Feb, just before she trimmed them at my request. They really filled out. They are now at 4 1/2 weeks after the switch to 12;12.
        Attached Files

Comment

These are photos taken right after trimming. Feb 2, at 4.5 weeks after time switch. Flowers look cool. I was hoping for bigger, but oh well, maybe next time. still very neat.
          Attached Files

Comment

I think you’ll end up with plenty of good smoke
            48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
            600w mh/hps
            32”x32”x63” veg tent
            viparspectra PAR 450 led
            FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
            5 gallon Smart Pots
            Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
            Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Bootsy
              Bootsy commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks. still hoping.

another few days have gone by. nothing but water so far as my assistant has been busy. Photos are from last night. still dont seem like theyre growing any more. My wife had more nerve than me in trimming, which becomes more evident with these photos. they will be fed at next watering again. I will be home at the end of this month, likely somewhere around when they will be ready for harvest. With the space apparently okay, wondering if I should turn the light up to full 600W power? wish I was around. it was fun to see in person, and now I'm back to looking at photos.
            Attached Files

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Bootsy, your plants look nice, your wife is great help, but as long as you got it high enough so it want burn them, yes turn on the 600, that will be just right.

• DingusKhan
              DingusKhan commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking great! And yes, they will eat more light up.

• Bootsy
              Bootsy commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks folks. that's an easy one to do.

Hope your wife saves you some of the harvest until you get back home lol
            My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
            The universities do not teach all things

Comment

• Bootsy
              Bootsy commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah . me too.  she's been researching baking.

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              Well maybe she can send you some. Sounds to me like it’s a good thing!

Well, I don't have too much to report on the grow except to say my wife has been very dilligent and accomodating, and they are all still going okay. now to post the latest photos from this afternoon. they are just a couple of days short of 6 weeks into the 12:12 lighting. the literature on these strains say anywhere from 67 to 10 weeks, depending on the strain, and there are 4 different plants. I wont be home for 2 weeks, so it will possibly be that harvest will be ascertained and completed by my wife and a keen but inexperienced friend. I have been checking as much as i can from daily HPS tinted photos so this was a treat for me. I really don't know what I'm looking for anyway, but these with the light out today seem okay. I do think I stunted them a little with the timer mix-up, but oh well. They were fed yesterday for first time in a week, with 1/3 dose of the Organics Bio Bloom stuff, 1/2 dose of the liquid seaweed, and 1 tbsp molasses in 3 gallons water. I think the pots are 12 inches in diameter , for size reference. From what I have read, it looks like one of them has maybe 25% pistils turning brown, but i hope for more experienced opinions. Do they look okay? any suggestions how often would we feed this stuff with the living soil? Bat guano and worm castings were mixed in as a top dressing a couple of weeks ago.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi. more photos. And I noticed the previous ones were so small that couldn't zoom much. These are a little better. The first two are of White Rhino, but I forget the rest. our questions from now on will be - 1. are we close to harvest, knowing there are 4 different strains? and 2. is there anything wrong that has to be addressed? I see yellow leaves, but most look like they should be removed anyway. thanks for looking. this is fun, even remotely. Ideally there will be harvest required in a couple of weekends for most or all of them so I can do it.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Bootsy
                Bootsy commented
                Editing a comment
                the straw is stuck in the photos for size reference

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking nice Bootsy, Your wife is excellent help.I bet she can make some mean Brownies. lol.

More photos from home and they are so cool that I had to post them. First two are Blueberry, followed by two of Cinderella 99, with three of Critical Widow and finishing with three of White Rhino. At a full six weeks since switch to 12:12 , and a total age of 13 weeks, we are getting there. If anything, turning the 600W HPS up to full strength has increased changes, noting that it was done when we added nutrients as well.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi. Another set of photos from today. Taken after some yellow leaves were trimmed, they are watered with liquid seaweed and molasses just after the photos. In my opinion, they seem to be doing ok as the flowers and little leaves all look robust, but I would appreciate the opinions of those experienced. They are now at 46 days after switch to flowering. we trimmed aggressively compared to other grow journals I see, and then have been losing yellow leaves. will see how it ends up. would anyone offer opinions as to probable harvest timing? I know there's lots of variables, but just guessing. I think I will have her leave a couple of branches on each for extended to try the different effect it is supposed to cause. Flowers don't look as big as i hoped, but many variables this first grow happened. Still really happy, especially considering the great care they have gotten by their adopted parent. If I'm putting up too many photos, please someone let me know. it only takes a minute now, so i have a lot. I get to see them in person this weekend.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey Bootsy, those look happy and healthy, and yes that's a bold defoliation, but we've seen lots bolder give nice yields. They look like they have lots of breathing room and light down low.

I think you're close, like within a few weeks, depending on the effects you're after.They will fatten up considerably. Do you have a loupe or macro lens to get close-up of your trichomes yet? You'll want it soon.
                  Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Bootsy
                    Bootsy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. That'sNo lens yet. On it- thanks for that reminder. The intent was to harvest 8 of ten branches on each plant for maximum THC, and the other 2 of each plant for higher CBN. Does that make sense? I am still so new to all this refined analysis of weed. up to just a year or so ago, boggest choice in my world was top end, regular , and outdoors. This proposal, in my thinking has a downside is that my plans for drying would be different. They smell the house up pretty good, so i expected to keep discretion I/we would use the tent. however, with the amount of air I am using to keep temp down, the humidity is totally dependant on basement/outdoors - and with this being winter, indoors are around 30%. If I have the light still on for the remaining colas, i will be drying the first ones really quick at 300% with lots of circulation. i have humidity control of my fan, so could use that to keep things relatively perfect at 50%. Hmmm. some thinking. Or - maybe those branches would get messed up by the plants being decimated (8 of 10). Hmmm - more reading.

• DingusKhan
                    DingusKhan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm a big fan of serial harvest. I've been growing with the little LEDs, and find that my tops mature faster than the lower buds, and I ended up taking all of the top buds rather than colas. You may find harvest to be more like mowing a lawn then it is like cutting down trees.

And I also let the last 1/3 of the plant go really long, until the trichomes were almost a solid layer
                    It's still curing, and I'm trying to be good. But it's pretty nice.

Side benefit: I got to see first hand how a really ready bud looked first hand, and I know that I have been harvesting too early before. What used to set me off in a tizzy with scissors now looks like she's "getting close, but it gets even better".

• D.A.A.S.69
                    D.A.A.S.69 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's right DingusKhan, better, most better, an bigly better. We ain't never had none go to long,

How does having a perpetual grow work Into serial harvesting. I know you have your eye on outdoor grows
                  What do you think a serial harvest would get in the way of a perpetual grow with at least a clone tray, a veg tray, a freshly flipped tray and lastly a tray almost ready for harvest?
                  My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
                  The universities do not teach all things

Comment

• Bootsy
                    Bootsy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Some neat ideas. My biggest take away is that its likely better to err waiting longer. I will try, remotely. she has a big magnifier.

• Paracelsus
                    Paracelsus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That makes sense in a good way to do it but I’m trying to up my yield a little bit more than that according to some people A thousand watt light should yield more than a pound to a pound and a half per plant
                    Last edited by Paracelsus; 02-19-2018, 07:51 AM.

• D.A.A.S.69
                    D.A.A.S.69 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Paracelsus, that's a good goal to shoot for, but all plants definitely don't get you an lb or more. Even with 2000watts,.Some more, some lots less, but at least you can get an average

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X