Germination question for coco grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germination question for coco grow

I germinated two seeds directly in my coco smart pots. One came up fine (yay!) and the other was a dud. I planted about 3/4 of an inch down and watered twice a day, temp is about 75, covered to increase humidity, so I think conditions are good for germination. At least one seed came up anyway.

Next time I soaked the seed overnight before planting again in the smart pot. Been a few days now and I'm thinking those seeds I got (Northern Lights) may be duds. The seed had not opened up yet when I planted it.

So here's my question: can I soak the seeds until the seed opens slightly and I see the first bit of root and then move them to my smart pot? That way I could verify that I've got a viable seed before planting. Or is that leaving them in water too long? I want to avoid germination on paper because I don't want to damage the root when it's moved. Thanks.
    Growing hydro in coco under Luminous LED COB's

Your not gonna hurt nothin by using paper towels, just put them in the coco after you see the seed splitting. Don't wait till the root gets to long, then you might hurt something if your not careful.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

I'm on the papertowle train. I wet towel, squeeze the excess out, Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180103_185346022.jpg Views:	2 Size:	489.9 KB ID:	160631 dropped into a zip lock. Placed up high in warm spot. 36 hrs later, after the tails have popped out straight into Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180103_185843381.jpg Views:	2 Size:	730.3 KB ID:	160632a solo covered with sandwich bag to keep humidity. 24hrs Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180104_175117208.jpg Views:	1 Size:	419.7 KB ID:	160633

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ain't nothin hard about that is it JibblerJoe.??

hey roper Jibberjoe looks like he has a good system .I use paper towels as well except I put mine on a plastic cover and slip them on top of my cable box, I try to do this in the afternoon because if the seeds are new they will and do pop overnight ,I like to transplant them when the tails are just poping out like joes , I have seen these tails grow an inch in a day so as soon as I see them split and the root comes out I plant them when the root gets long your chances of damaging the seedling go up quite a bit
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

When it comes to germination, there are a lot or correct answers.

My experience is limited to the 'paper towel' method.

I have never had a seed not germinate, in my limited experience. Just say'n
        completed 7 grows
        what I have learned so far:
        environment maters more than nutrients
        at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
        effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X