Lux meters and 600w hps/220w COB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lux meters and 600w hps/220w COB

I have a lux meter, (the black and orange one that is recommended on gwe) but it seems like within a 3in difference my 600w hps can go from 75000 to 40,000lux ??? So my main colas are getting great light but 5 or 6in down and all my outter colas are only reading 32,000-ish. Do I just have a shitty bulb?? Or is that normal?

Also, lux meters and LEDs?? Hows that work?
    3rd Grow
    Amnesia Haze, Bubbliciois, Super Skunk
    Tent- 4x4x6.5
    Light- 600w HPS/ 220w COB
    Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
    Pots- 3gal fabric
    Nutrients- None

I would say that's normal, just try to keep the strong light on your buds the best you can. Mine changes like that too.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Okay, just making sure that it's normal. It's crazy how much light intensity is lost in just a few inches difference. Thank you for the quick answer man
      3rd Grow
      Tent- 4x4x6.5
      Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
      Pots- 3gal fabric
      Nutrients- None

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah we on our way to the woods again, I'm not any good with those lux meters, when I stick mine under my 315cmh at about 15inches in reads 410 whatever that means ,haha , my meter says 200000 times 100, how are you supposed to figure that sh-t out ???? lol

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        Daas On the hundred scale it gives you readings in the thousands .so if your meter says 410 what its really saying is you are getting 41,000 lux
        Kpenn how old is your bulb I change mine every year ,but a few inches makes a huge difference in lux try to keep your top buds between 65 and 85 k lux ,the lower bud sights have to live with it. If you look at pictures of my room you will wee I have plants on the floor and others at different height so all the kolas are the same height, lots of fooling around to get them all in range but its worth it

• Vapo69
        Vapo69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Or you could try a mainline and go for an even canopy

So mine has a setting "x10" and a setting "x100"

if my lux meter is on the setting "x100" then the numbers will read 3 digits. Using your example, a reading of 410lux
      multiply that by 100 and that's your actual lux. In this example it would be 41,000lux

The "x10" setting is for smaller lights. Maybe flouresents or a 250w hps
      3rd Grow
      Tent- 4x4x6.5
      Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
      Pots- 3gal fabric
      Nutrients- None

Comment

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        kpen the lux meter only works with HPS .It will not read Leds or Flouresents, your right in your reading though

oldjarhead100 that was one of my questions, how do I get a lux reading on an LED light??? Or is there nothing out there that can do that??
      3rd Grow
      Tent- 4x4x6.5
      Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
      Pots- 3gal fabric
      Nutrients- None

Comment

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's called a PAR meter for led.

I got 4 lamps-bulbs for my light the one in there now is 4200k, they aint 2 months old yet. If I put my plants,where they get a higher lux reading they don't like it ,an don't grow. My lux meter might be bad I reckon.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Morning Vapo69, normally about 18-22 inches away, when I check the lux at 20 inches its about 320 an that ain't enough for nothing, they growing good but that ain't enough light is it?? If I go closer the plants don't like it, so I'm gonna keep mine at 18inches away an it reads 390 lux, reckon that's enough ??

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        DAAS, just got a LUX meter for Christmas and getting about the same readings as you at the distances you mention. I must admit I was a little disappointed with the readings on my new 315 as all the reviews rave about them but to get optimum light I would need to drop them within 10" to 12" from plants. Haven't tried that but have lowered them to 16".

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey PuravidaC, my plants are growing good, so I ain't going no lower ,if I do they stop growing good an burn-stress, I've tried 4 different lamps-bulbs to and they are all new lamps but they all read close to the same lux. I ain't gonna burn my plants just to get more lux, something ain't right about that lux sh-t anyway, it might just be me haha

I have my 600w hps at 12in

the colas right under the light are getting about 72,000lux and about 3-4in below I'm reading 45,000lux

off to the sides and some of the lower bud sites are reading 30,000lux
      3rd Grow
      Tent- 4x4x6.5
      Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
      Pots- 3gal fabric
      Nutrients- None

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Kpenn, my 315cmh will burn the leaves completely off at 12 inches, in a day .

Dang, I was at about 18in then I checked with that lux meter and brought it down to 12in

been at 12in for about 4days now and they are thriving there.

I did just split a stem where two colas meet at the bottom though. Pretty heart breaking but I keep telling myself this is what your first grow is all about. I was just being too rough and dicking around with them when I shouldn't of been. I put some rooting gel in the split immediately and taped it up with grafting tape. It wasn't exposed to air for more than 2min before I got it completely taped up. Finished watering them and I'll check on her tonight before lights out to see if she'll already be showing any signs of stress hopefully it'll just slow her down for a few days and she'll get back at it.

3rd Grow
      Tent- 4x4x6.5
      Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
      Pots- 3gal fabric
      Nutrients- None

Comment

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        no worries Kpen if I had a dime for every time I split a stem I would have a few dollars lol,it happens and in my experience unless it breaks right off it will heal

Hey OJH! I got that rooting gel on her and got her taped up pretty quick and she still hasn't shown any signs of stress 24hrs later. I'm keeping my fingers crossed lol so far so good though.
      3rd Grow
      Tent- 4x4x6.5
      Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
      Pots- 3gal fabric
      Nutrients- None

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X