Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWC non-recirculating system, 5Gallons bucket, water change

Hi guys,

Its my first attempt in DWC. I always have problems after changing the water. My roots starts to change color (yellowing, and sometimes brownish). Do you guys, change all the water once a week?
    I check the water temp, the ph and everyting seems to be fine. 2 days after the change, my roots change color.
    I clean the bucket with soap for dishes and I clean the air stones with the same soap (Dawn).
    I use a 10 gallon gray bucket from wal-mart. I fill the bucket with 5 gallons of tap water.
    I add Hydroguard and the nutrinents is from Dyna-Gro.

I heard that changing all the water can stress the plant because its too clean after that and its destroyed the ecosystem of the roots like an aquarium for fish.

Thanks for your help, I'm a bit desperated with DWC.

could be normal process of your nutrients slightly changing the color of your roots . how is the plants? any pictures

Comment

• marte070
      marte070 commented
      Editing a comment
      The plants seems ok. The nutrinents seems not coloring the water. Do you think it can change the color of the roots without coloring the water?

marte070 Are you checking your pH and making sure you're in the correct range when you put your water in?

One thing I learned to do in order to avoid root problems: I fix my new water + nutes, last thing I do is check pH, and have it standing my, ready to go. Then I quickly drain the old water and get the new water in there ASAP. I've noticed that my roots are much happier.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• marte070
      marte070 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you clean your reservoir before adding the new water?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      If there's stuff accumulating, I'll wipe it down, but I try to make the change as fast as possible when the plants are young.
      Later on, the roots don't mind if I take the time to wipe down the reservoir. (I use Great White michorrhizae, which tends to leave some solid stuff in the reservoir.) I also use Hydroguard, so the environment in the reservoir should stay root-friendly and rot-hostile.

Howdy marte070, I would first recommend not cleaning the air stones with soap, being porous they can keep the soap inside and the soap is not good for the plants. I replace the air stones on every grow, they are cheap (2" x $' stones for $3.00 each on line). I try to follow the rule, "if it cannot be boiled or soaked in chlorine, then it gets tossed out". Also, I would recommend keeping the water temperature between 65° and 70° F, also seal out any possible light leaks to prevent any algae growth. The exposure of the roots to the air during the water change (unless You take a week to do it! LOL) will only help the roots (extra O2), not hurt them. And lastly, when You fill the reservoir, make sure that there is an air gap of 1 to 2 inches or so between the bottom of the net pot and the water fill level to ensure air exposure for the roots during the grow.
    Good luck with Your grow.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• marte070
      marte070 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thanks. My water is always arounf 69F. No light leaks inside. Do you clean the bucket before water change?

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I just drain out the old nutrient mix and then add the new nutrient mix. At mid week, I only top off the reservoirs with fresh pH'ed water. I do not use Hydroguard in my reservoirs, I use the General Hydroponics FloraShield at the rate of 2 to 3 ml per gallon in all of the water (nutrient mix and top off water).

Hey bud. I am on my 1st grow and doing DWC in 5 gallon buckets. I also use hydroguard. How much are you using? I use 10 ml per buckets and each 5 gallon bucket gets 3.5-4 gallons of water. I just rinse my buckets in between with hot water. My tap water is extremely hot, 180 degrees. I don't do anything with the airstones.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

• marte070
      marte070 commented
      Editing a comment
      I started to think that my main mistake is to clean the bucket at every water change....Thanks to share your way with me.

Anytime bud. We are all here to help each other. I would clean or rinse your bucket every time. Just not the air stone.

I am about 1 month into growing. I have a grow journal on here. Feel free to look it up. I am not super knowledgeable but will answer as best I can. Don't be afraid 2 ask questions.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X