Using PAR instead of lumens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using PAR instead of lumens

I was wondering if you were going to switch over and start using PAR instead of lumens when referring to light measurement since plants don't see lumens really. PAR is the reading for plants from what I have learned.
    Also if there are any recommended levels of PAR and DLI for different photo periods in the grow cycle like 18/6 and 12/12?

I don't get too scientific with all the different terminology. I use 400w T5 for vegging and 1000w HPS for flowering. It grows my weed well. Does 't matter if it's PAR or Lumens. K I S S .

Comment

Yup- you have to use PAR values for LED's because lumen's only come from white LED's as I understand. Most LED manufactures will post the PAR value at a certain distance. (see below for a 150w UFO LED)
      It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Oh trust me I have learned more about PAR and DLI in the last few months than I ever thought I would. Google PAR for tomatoes and see how much university based data pops. Im just looking for more. I also found out there is such a thing as too much light the hard way. My COB DIY kit will throw well over a PAR reading of 950-1000 at 25 inches. Way to much. Keep it turned down to around 325 for veg. Id just like to see more grow info going that way. PAR is measurable by all light sources including fluorescent, HPS and LED. Apogee quantum sensors are a useful tool and enlightening as to how much light your really putting on your plants. They are not cheap but worth it to me. Even for a small grower like me.

Comment

• furrysparkle
          furrysparkle commented
          Editing a comment
          ^used to be stewart169.

Originally posted by Stewart169 View Post
        Oh trust me I have learned more about PAR and DLI in the last few months than I ever thought I would. Google PAR for tomatoes and see how much university based data pops. Im just looking for more. I also found out there is such a thing as too much light the hard way. My COB DIY kit will throw well over a PAR reading of 950-1000 at 25 inches. Way to much. Keep it turned down to around 325 for veg. Id just like to see more grow info going that way. PAR is measurable by all light sources including fluorescent, HPS and LED. Apogee quantum sensors are a useful tool and enlightening as to how much light your really putting on your plants. They are not cheap but worth it to me. Even for a small grower like me.
        Just curious, when you say a PAR reading of 1000, what unit of measurement are you using? I wrote a little bit about PAR vs lumens because this is also something I'm also really interested in. If you're a fellow light enthusiast, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Comment

Don't make my whip out the dissertations on lumens par photon flux Photon flux density & uMols. If you're into growing dank buds, familiarize yourself with the science of light.

Bottom line is PAR matters for all lights when growing.

If you use only hps or only mh, your veg/flwr cycle is lacking in frequency and so you could be doing better for your plants. Understanding light is as important as understanding the rest of growing.

Comment

Plants don't really care about lumens.

Comment

Here is a few hours at least of reading.

Comment

Read the last paragraph in particular. All these folks are researchers and major universities. I kind of think that gives their results and opinions a bit of weight yes?

Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NebulaHaze View Post

Just curious, when you say a PAR reading of 1000, what unit of measurement are you using? I wrote a little bit about PAR vs lumens because this is also something I'm also really interested in. If you're a fellow light enthusiast, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!
                  I refer to PAR as measured by a quality and reliable quantum meter like this http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/mq-...andheld-meter/
                  With my light cranked to 100% @ 28 inches the meter will show 900-1000 depending on the placement under the light. Plus using university research data I am trying to stay with a DLI of 20 for early veg and 25 late veg and flower.

Comment

• NebulaHaze
                    NebulaHaze commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, but what unit of measurement is it using? 1000 units of what?

PPFD is the unit of measure. The instantaneous reading and averaging it over the photoperiod. I didn't just make it up. I have spent hours reading on it and don't pretend to have the background to be an expert. Like I referenced the data from multiple agriculture programs and major universities that provide data to the farmers of the US and world are the ones doing the research. Id love to find some info from the real pros in the cannabis industry who grow for a living on what kind of light levels work best for them.
                  There is FAR too much money at stake for them to just hang lights and say its good to go and not record data just like they do with soil or hydro analysis. Would you not agree with that?

Comment

I agree 100%, but I just wanted to know what unit of measurement it's using so I can compare against journals because this is also an interest of mine. Is it measuring the PPF in μmol·m−2·s−1? Or in W/m2? It should say in the manual or it might be printed somewhere on the device itself. I'm curious, does it have different modes for different light sources like sun/incandescent/high pressure sodium/etc? I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these! How did you end up finding it?

Comment

Yes, but it doesn't say what unit of measurement it's using. You know, like I could say I have 1000 purples, but that doesn't mean anything because purple isn't a unit of measurement.

Comment

• Iammygod
                        Iammygod commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LoL

Originally posted by NebulaHaze View Post
                      Yes, but it doesn't say what unit of measurement it's using. You know, like I could say I have 1000 purples, but that doesn't mean anything because purple isn't a unit of measurement.
                      So what is 1000 lumens comparable to? Green? BTW where did the purple come into play? How about orange?
                      Here is another link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photos...tive_radiation
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2016, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X