Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did You Decide on Your Current Strain(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mix new strains and old favorites in my grow room, I like trying new strains, but still want the yield, so if the new doesent produce, I can always count on my favs. To come thru and if thay all do....... winner, winner, chicken dinner😎

Comment

I have tried over 75 different strains in the last year or two to find ones I like and am just starting my first grow as I just got my grow liscense at the end of the year. I first looked for strains I liked but some I cannot find (eg. DNA Sour Tangie way better than any other tangie I have tried). Grizzly Purple is one of my standby ones and am growing a few of those. I actually ordered from TNSB because they had that strain then the rest were add ons. I also had to look at height as I am limited on that factor but can always top as needed which I am doing already. I did try a couple of strains I have not tried because they are either better suited for a new grower or shorter in height. All but one are fems as I did not want to waste time getting a male on my first grow but will next time around. One is an auto because I just put it in the room this weekend. When summer comes around I will be trying ones better suited for outdoors. Mostly based on flavors and effects from trying them. Currently also growing GG4, GSC, SLH, Grapefruit, AK74, NL & G13. I keep looking for others that I like but dont think they are available in seed form so will try new strains.

Comment

Interesting reads, thank you for this post!

The reasons for me:

So, personally I dont care If it gets me high it works for me.

However due to illnesses with my spouse... there are several factors. (Some of you can relate: C-PTSD, Severe Anxiety, Severe Depression, BPD just to name a few! But the list goes on)

1: What works for her. There are a few strains she has ordered through MOMs that she really enjoys. Sometimes an added bonus of seeds. (Those are the free ones). Where I have 30+ strains, it will take time to figure this out. I want a go to 5 strains and alternate between them.

2: Sativas, they give her energy for her bad days (bad BAD days). She dosnt get "High" anymore unless she is smoking like an oz in a day. So THC is not a huge concern, although higher = better for me.

3. She enjoys the lemon/fruity the flavors the most. (She dosnt like diesel at all)

4. I go for the photoperiod plants (Regular or Fem as I am now making feminized seeds, new but its pretty easy, and a never ending supply is a huge plus!). With photos, I feel I can fill the tent out (5x5) with my limit of 4 plants (May increase to 25 soon!). I will take the extra month to do this as i feel in the end it will give me a larger yield in the end vs time on another crop.

5. Ordering seeds I look at all of the prior factors (including yield, flowertime, and where they came from [genes].)

6. Price is a large factor. I will wait and wait for a sale and look around on different websites. I feel even 5$ is too much for a seed. I will be giving away a lot of seeds I make to friends and family. However if the wife finds a strain that works for her, I will buy it for an increased cost (I am currently looking for a quality heirloom sativa with no crossing of another strain.)

7. Pictures occasionally play a role, I know this is an advertisement tactic however, I try not to invest in them. (Except Dark Devil Auto I just got.)

Overall, Quality and quantity. I dont want something that puts me in a negitive deficits. I figure, If I get a lb off my current grow, it works out to be $32/oz. (Everything factored in, elect, nutes,water,soil,ph up down etc etc) If this goes up to the LP prices of 250$/oz I am doing something wrong and need to reevaluate.

She has her M.M. at 5g/day. If she has to buy this through LPs, it is far worse than paying a few dollars for a seed!

Side Note: Anyone who has similar issues to her that has the same likes, pm me. I am curious what strains work for you.

Current Go To's:
        1. Twisted Citrus
        2. Snow White
        3. ?
        4. ?
        5. ?

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

So far everything I've grown has been in the 36" tall range and 110 days or so from sprout, but I'm getting tired of waiting 4 months and removing the light adjusters to get the lights higher above the canopy. So I wanted Short and Fast growing seeds this grow. Bought White Moscow auto fem from New Guy, 14" tall at harvest, that's with little or no training and 8 to 10 weeks sprout to harvest.
          Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
          Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
          36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
          4 bulb T5's for Veg.
          2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
          IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
          3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

I think that it's a personal matter and to me a spiritual one. I believe the energy these plants bring to a home is edible to the soul (if you believe in such things). I also believe when we work towards something and persevere we are rewarded no matter the yield or quality. I change my strain and plant type based on season. Here in the midwest we fluctuate continuously, they have to be enviroment hardy, whether that be cold or heat resistant, mold and mildew resistance is a huge plus. But I grow what interests me, it may be something well known like white widow or sour diesel, something new like seedsmans crictical purple kush (current grow), or something thats not very well heard of or grown, I'm a scientist so i like to make my own observations and conclusions based on my notes and things I can percieve such as potency, bag appeal and quality. Ease of growing also helps, especially if you have pain as a patient, thats why I chose hydroponics, to me it was the easiest to pick up and follow through. But regardless make a list and then begin narrowing down, look at prices, yield stats etc it will come to you like it does everyone else. Good luck, happy growing friend.
            “Call a plant beautiful, and it becomes a flower. Call it ugly, and it becomes a weed."

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

I personally like playing with filters after giving a thought about what I want to grow. That way I get somewhat consistent results and plants I know will coexist in the same growing environment.
              I've enjoyed most the search functionalities offered by https://www.strainly.io/

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X