Tobacco Mosaic Virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tobacco Mosaic Virus?

As always, I found the best article on TMV on GWE...

As I understand it, it's not even sure yet whether cannabis can even get it.
    But I have a plant which looks strongly like it might have Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Wondering if someone has experience there?

Wite Widow Auto, about 5 weeks in, starting to flower now.

Nutes: FloraNova Bloom, 2ml/L as always (Lucas...) , this time with added CalMag (because of my DIY Coco substrate)

Watering as always, Light CREE CXB3590

pH: about 6.2 (Although this MIGHT be a tad too high for the substrate?)

Substrate: Experimental mix 50% Coco, 25% Vermiculite, 25% Perlite)

Look at these strange yellow stripes. Altough new growth looks totally fine.

Possibilities:
    • Opinions differ whether cannabis can even GET TMV....but I had tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse, and I am very certain that the tomatoes had TMV or some form of disease. They all turned out awful.
    • My FloraNova Bloom might have gone bad?? (Might be 8-10 months old)???
    • Cat peed on leaves and "burnt" them. They do this sometimes since they go on the greenhouse and pee down...???

I don't see classic signs of nute burn, so I'd say possible not.

A week or so ago I had a MILD spidermites infestation, but I sprayed. (I have these basically any grow and expect them . It's possible that this is old mite damage, but then I have never seen it like this. No mites currently. The larger yellow stripes tho..doesn't look like mite damage to me.

Thanks - just wondering whether someone has experience...this one has me stumped.

Right now I can't see whether the issue is progressing or not. The plant is growing very fast, so the leaves get bigger and the yellow stuff might just be more obvious than before. New growth looks fine to me tho.

Edit: The GWE article talks about curling of leaves as well when they have TMV...but I don't see curling.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Flexy123; 11-25-2017, 04:26 AM.

I'm no doctor by any means but I'd say that's magnesium def.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Yeah we're riddling here....but a Mg or Ca. def would be extremely odd...this is my first grow where I give 1ml CalMag with EVERY watering....
      Unless, the substrate I made there (Coco, Vermiculite, Perlite) does something REALLY weird.

Ok, reading the article about Mg. deficiency...you are right...it very much looks like it. Stumped now.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Morning 123, what is your ph out ?

Ah we were talking about this on another forum. I never measured runoff ever, but they told me to this time. It was 4.8-5 So definitely on the low side.
      HOWEVER, opinions differ...with the one guy saying I need to keep coco pH (5.8) going in, with someone else suggesting my pH is too low.
      Anyway, it's likely that the "damage" (if it is) is from some weeks ago when I still used pH down, when I didn't feed at full strength.
      Now I feed full strength and I don't use pH down (FNB takes care of it), so the pH is a little higher than before anyway.
      Otherwise, the plant actually looks very good and grows fast...and note that the other one, same regimen, doesn't show ANYthing.
      So at this point I just continue what I am doing.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope she turns out fine.

I have a King Tut that started out the same way, but one of the effects of TMV is stunted growth, definitely not stunted. So I'm at a loss, so did you plant with seed or is this one a clone. I have a theory, but I'm collecting more info, did you order the seeds? If so did it go through customs? Here's a shot of my Tut.
      Attached Files

Comment

Coming back to this one....man these two took a LOOOOONG time....and the number of amber trichomes was still less than what I wanted. (I stopped feeding them by mistake a little to early, didn't expect them to take that long to mature...probably because they are in the GH and not in direct sun).

Nevertheless, the two ladies turned out MASSIVE and grew bigger than any auto I ever grew before, about the size and harvest of feminized plants, despite me not feeding them for almost a month. So whatever this was, I have no idea, I simply ignored it and the ladies turned out fine. (Yes I am always doing from seed. I am buying the cheapest-ass bulk seeds here in Spain for €1/pop, don't go through customs).

Edit: Yes, looking at your pics, this looks VERY similar if not the exact same thing! And yes, the plants otherwise look fine.
        Logic would also say if it was TMV, it would have affected the other plant as well...the two were basically touching. But it didn't, so I don't think it was a virus.
        Last edited by Flexy123; 02-01-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I have the same discoloration as both of you. Its just pigmentation. My plants have showed no il effects. No pests, no sicknesses, no pH issues nothing of the sort. Been healthy since the start just something plants do I think.
          ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

Stunted growth is a result of TMV, no stunted growth here.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X