It’s a matter of prevention (borg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s a matter of prevention (borg)

Bin growen outside for a long time,started growen inside a few years ago,found a way to keep spider mites at bay.i mix clean white sand with diatomaceous earth and sprinkle on top of soil about a50/50 mix. I do this several times after watering in s.p. As the sand and earth work their way into the soil it fourms a barrier of sorts and won’t allow spider mites and other critters from digging in and laying eggs. Since I’m growing in smart pots this has little effect on air getting to roots and does allow water to filter thru ! I’ve found this very helpful and hope u will to.

I do something similar. I use Gnat Nix mixed with diatomaceous earth after having trouble with Broad Mites. No issues any more. I also use sticky paper traps. Also using fabric pots.

Comment

Pretty sure spider mites dont lay eggs in soil. They lay them on the plant. But the sand and diatomaceous earth works well for Fungus gnats and other pests.

Comment

• starramus
        starramus commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto Dutchman. I looked it up. Spider mite development differs somewhat between species, but a typical life cycle is as follows. The eggs are attached to fine silk webbing and hatch in approximately three days. The life cycle is composed of the egg, the larva, two nymphal stages (protonymph and deutonymph) and the adult.

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        Did not know that spider mites layed in the web. Regardless stops um from getting to my girls! That’s what counts! Lol

Everything that goes into my tent is free and clean, two years going and no bugs. Ever.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Me to until I used some Happy frog soil then yikes
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I'm gonna try that next round beats spraying neem oil all around my tent 3 times a day and cheaper good one potted ur a genius

Comment

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            Jr83 I spray neem oil once every 3 days if I have a problem and then once every 10 days after the initial spraying ,I also use azamax with the neem oil

If you do get the sons o bitches you can nukem with Azamax. Very effective, but I will use your method to prevent whatever from touching my darlin girls.

Comment

I really don’t like to spray anything on my girls if I don’t have to ! Lol

Comment

• Dutchman1
              Dutchman1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, but I suppose I would if all else failed.

I agree with a outside grow it’s almost imperative to do so, I usually spray with neem and mix in silica in the water.
            Inside I have much more control over insects as well as other factors and I prefer prevention to spraying my girls!

Comment

Originally posted by oldjarhead100 View Post
              Me to until I used some Happy frog soil then yikes
              Check this out! Very very important! https://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana...-spider-mites/

We have only used Happy Frog, and were curious about the occasional influx of spider mites. My wife's banana plant had beginning signs after we re-potted it with Happy Frog. No more Fox Farm soils for me.

The horror! The horror! https://www.google.com/search?q=happ...ov1oagYGRAfIM:

Comment

U know,it could b where it’s stored or any where down the shipping line.
                If u notice the bags have lots of small holes so soil can breath,I assume but at the same time allows a way for bugs to get in?

Comment

• starramus
                  starramus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yeah these arachnids like humans are always looking for fertile soil.

It's time for me to move on to making my own super soil anyway.

Comment

I was a steady user of FFOF until about a couple of years ago when I started getting invaded by "The Borg". That is the reason I'm using Roots Organics. Glad I did.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X