Premature Browning of Pistils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premature Browning of Pistils

It's only been 32 days since the first pistil made it's appearance and, now, the flowers on my Wonder Woman are mostly brown. The other plant, Pure Power Plant, has some browning but not to the extent of Wonder Woman. Otherwise, the plants look healthy. If I didn't know they were only 4 1/2 weeks in flower, I'd think they were nearing harvest. (the seed bank says 8-10 weeks for flower period).
    Sheesh; abadtrip ; ellz : You guys are all growing Wonder Woman, I think - are you experiencing this problem at all?

The only anomalies in this grow are: I didn't have as much perlite to mix in my soil (FF Ocean Forest & Happy Frog) as I usually do and I'm a little worried that this is causing the soil to hold on to too much to the water and is not allowing for good drainage and aeration - so the problem may be my roots but what can I do at this point? I'm watering (or feeding) every 3-4 days to allow the soil extra time to dry out. Also, I'm having trouble controlling the humidity - it's usually between 55 - 60 % - so I purchased a small dehumidifier. It seems to be working since I'm dumping the water tank every 2-3 days but the humidity levels are not dropping enough. I'd like it to be below 50%. My grow is in a closet (5'x6') but I leave the door open to keep the temperature down - typically between 68-78 degrees. It's been very humid outside. I have a 450w LED, and 3 fans in the closet and one fan outside.

Any help or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

They are fine- LED's will get some strains to turn more quickly than others- They are still making new pistils-

The only thing I see is a little Potassium Deficiency, which seems to have been corrected.
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      I had seen both instances- However if it's premature discoloration from LED's - it has little to do with reaching maturity-
      I use the trichomes, once you see some pistils change.

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! I hope you're right. I think my light was a little too low and I raised it up 2-3 inches last week which I think is what you're seeing (light burn) as a potassium deficiency. Some of the leaves in the center of the grow where curling up just a little, too. So it could be the LED. Thanks, I feel better already!

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep your LED at the 1/2 way point until the last 2 weeks- ie if the manufacturer's flower distance is 12-18" use between 14"-16" for LED height (set at 16" and move back when it reaches 14")- then move closer to around 12" during the final ripening.
      LED's shoot straight down and if you are too close you loose alot of foot print and bud.
      It's hard to do, as you constantly hear to get the lights as close as possible- which may be true for other light sources.

I think everything looks fine! Leave them grow, only next scrog, you should run the same strain per scrog so you don't end up with different blooming times! Keep up the good work!!

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      I deliberately selected two different strains that are reported to be same in size and flower time. Nirvana says that both strains are 'medium' in height and require 8-10 weeks to flower. I know that's not guaranteed but in this case, it's worked out well. One plant is only slightly taller than the other. I grow only for myself and like the variety.

Thanks for the kind words!
      Last edited by Dagmar; 11-16-2017, 03:20 PM.

They look great. I wouldn't worry. Use the trichomes to decide when to harvest. I think your just showing off lol ! The plants look the balls.

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Believe me, Dutchman, I have no shame when it comes to showing off a good grow - at least to my GWE Community ! Thanks for the complement and the encouragement!

Hea mate I was just thinking the same thing got me checking the trics 3 weeks early I think it might be just that plant.
    It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear. I'm beginning to relax a little. Thanks

Hey Dagmar, they're looking good to me and I wouldn't worry too much about the early browning. My WW had brown pistils early too. How about lower on the branches? Mostly white down there? I harvested my WW at 70 days from first flowers, so a full 10 weeks, and I had pretty much all cloudy trichomes. Keep it up, they should fatten up nicely over the next few weeks.
    4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hearing it's probably a characteristic of the strain so I'm feeling better. Even the lower branches are browning. Thanks

Dagmar From the look of those beauties, all I can say is, I wish I had your problem.
    Organic only soil grower
    Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
    Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

Wow! I seriously thought I had a problem here but the comments I'm getting have been complimentary. I've had 7 or 8 successful grows under my belt but this was a new problem I'd not seen before and I thought it was a serious threat to my girl. I hope everyone is right and I have no problem at all.

Thanks for all the kind words.
      I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
      Blue Mystic (7 gal)
      VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
      Coco Coir w/30% perlite
      Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

• abadtrip
        abadtrip commented
        Editing a comment
        What week of flower are u in I am all most done with week 7 and my flowers just decided to fatten up over night wow it's crazy

• Dagmar
        Dagmar commented
        Editing a comment
        Tomorrow she will be 5 weeks in flower (from the first pistil). 7 weeks since the 12/12 flip. I think we flipped at the same time - Oct 1st? Which makes our plants good for comparison. Except for the brown pistils, they look good and are ahead of other grows in size and quantity. (My Pure Power Plant, same age, which has some browning of the pistils, is doing a bit better.)

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X