Smart meters do you trust em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart meters do you trust em?

our energy provider is removing the old type electric meters and installing what they call “smart meters.” This gives them real-time info on power usage (exactly when usage starts and how much is used) all in the guise of saving energy. Seems like a big problem for indoor growing as it makes it easy for them to spot 18- or 12-hour power spikes every day. My question is: how do we grow inside and not raise any red flags? Even keeping the wattage low won't stop them from spotting usage trends. I hope you can help us in this matter. Big Brother strikes again it seems! I pay my bill on time every month but use only 1 light and ballast.

The power company is in the business of making money. Pay your bill. It will all be fine.
    It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

Veg 24/7, flower 2 separate rooms to where they're on when the other ones off constant draw.... No spikes just large bill 💣

Comment

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        good idea sammy, I have 3 freezers in my barn but still a concern

I had one of those since I moved to my current place an have had no problems, they mentioned that it was a little high on the phone when I called about my bill, just told them I'm using space heaters/window units an they were like yea that will do it lol
      Visit my current grow at
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...227-s-5th-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...227-s-4th-grow

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The guy who made this video knows just enough to be dangerous, not enough to teach you much. Basically he seems to be a hardcore conspiracy theorist, who sees someone spying on him every time he looks in the mirror. He mis-identified several of the components, and was clueless about the overall design. This is a power meter, not a KGB spy device. It can tell the power company how much energy you are consuming, and likely the schedule on which you operate large electrical loads (heater, clothes dryer, large lights, etc.). But it certainly doesn't know what types of devices are pulling that current.

Talking about the 'worst case', the utility can see if you have something which operates on a fixed schedule, and then compare your consumption patterns from one month to the next. If they are actively searching for 'suspicious' patterns, they can definitely define and confirm those. Things like running your grow lights during daylight hours, for example, could make an average person ask why. But you really can't avoid pulling enough KWh of energy to grow your plants. All you can try to do is make it look like you are using all that juice for some 'legitimate' reason such as room heaters.

The very few actual instances I have even remotely heard of in which someone was reported by their utility happened when they tried to run huge light arrays, perhaps as much power as the entire rest of their home. Or if they frequently approached the total power for which the property was wired. That could indeed provoke a 'safety inspection' because it is legitimately a fire hazard. If you can, try to switch lights on about when you come home, run them overnight, then back off about when you leave in the morning. Or buy a second timer and make the lights turn on and off in two stages, which looks more like someone flipping switches. That will help make it look like you are using 'normal' appliances such as heaters, water heater, stove, etc. on a 'reasonable' schedule. But overall, this is not likely to be the clue which gets you busted.

Comment

I suppose the police could get a warrant to look at your electricity usage if they suspected you of growing. They know that most iiegal commercial growers jump the meter anyway and they’d have to show some other evidence to get the warrant in the first place. It’s a lot easier for them to smash your door down and search your house. Several U.K. police forces have said they won’t pursue hobby growers unless they are ‘blatant’.

Comment

• RobM
                  RobM commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same in aussie. If ya growing a plant for yourself they wont do shit.. not worth the time and effort (always asshole cops around who are out to get everyone ) as long as ta not selling ya more or less left alone

My bro inlaw has a fish tank and he has hid lights for the tank on a 12 hr cycle or sonething like that. Also chillers etc etc there is a good reason for spikes etc salt water fish tank
                Current grow

4x bubbas gift
                4gal fabric pots..
                coca using nutrafield coca a/b and go green.
                600w how in 1x1x2m tent. 150mm grofan extraction

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X