AIT planters_ what are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIT planters_ what are they?

Someone asked me to post some photos of the AIT (Air Injection Technology) planters I'm trying this time, So here they are. They are very similar to other types of hydro in that they use air pumps and lines to oxygenate the medium being grown in. Except that these are developed to be used in soil. I'm using them in a very porous medium made of coco, perlite, grow stones, pumice, worm castings, etc. The result is a medium that absorbs about 50% air and water each. Seems to be working pretty well. Really easy to flush, yet holds moisture and nutrients well. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the "air injectors" that are in the bottom of the buckets, but they look very similar to those used in traditional hydro, but rather than air stones the supply lines connect to a dome-like structure about 7" in diameter which doesn't get closed by soil or other fine particulates. But you use the same pumps and lines that are used in other hydro setups. I'm trying these because my grow space isn't easy to use 5-10 gallon tubs and this way each planter (bucket) is its own system_ keeps most issues contained in one planter. Also not obvious from the photos there is a 1/4" hole about a 1/2" from the bottom pot the buckets, it has a plug which can be removed to drain the water. I've found that what works best for me is to pull the plug, let the planter drain into the dish (about 10-20% drainage), then water again and as soon as water starts to run out the bottom, put the plug back in. You can hear the air bubbles "popping" out of the surface of the medium. The air being injected into each planter supplies plenty of oxygen so the roots don't drown. Every second watering I leave the plugs out and just let hem drain, then don't water again for 2 days. So here are some photos of the setup...A friend gave me the setup but there were only four buckets/planters so I went to Home depot and got two more 5 gallon buckets, drilled holes in the bottoms, bought a pump and some lines and two of the air injector systems and its working great. They sell buckets but won't ship them to my address so I just made my own_very easy and works just as well. You can also get plugs from the manufacturer as well. Cheers!
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Here are some photos of the progression of the plants in this AIT grow. Right now they are in day 20 from the switch to 12/12. Nice bud-lets are developing more and more every day. Probably about 6 weeks to go.
    We'll see...here are some photos_ Oh and I added a photo of the Wonder Daug plant that is suppose to have awesome purple colors and it is already starting to get them at the base of the top leaves! Can't wait to see this one once she's matured. This plant is rated at 10-15% CBD and 12-18% THC. Should be a great medical strain for times when you want the THC too! Presently its only available as a regular and out of 7 sprouted seeds I only got one female. Maybe the other 6 seeds will produce more females? Hope so anyway. Cheers to all.
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

ZigZag bro! They look great, imma have to read up on this AIT!! Nice color. Looking healthy, best of luck with the rest of the grow, keep us updated! !

Comment

Thanks. A friend left them with me and I decided to use them _see if what he said was true, and hard to tell at this point, but they are suppose to give you about the same growth potential as hydro. They are self contained units and you can grow 36" tall plants in a 4 gallon container. I'm using four 4 gallon buckets and two 2 1/2 gallon. I want to see if I can get 2 foot tall or better plants in the 2 1/2 gallon pots with this system. I'll keep updating as things progress. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Oh yeah, the people who make these AIT systems also make a large variety of air circulating systems for hydro as well. They have configurations of delivery systems to fit any size and shape of hydro tank.
          Also reverse osmosis and lots of other related hardware. The vendor is Modular Hydro_ check it out. I decide to get a few more of them and for some reason they wouldn't ship the buckets to us so I just made some from ones I got at Home Depot_ I think they might even be the same buckets! Just had to drill the hole and works great.

Comment

thanks for posting Zigzag I asked awhile ago if putting air stones in soil would work, I will have to try them out
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• ZigZag
              ZigZag commented
              Editing a comment
              hey you all_ I'm just about to harvest the AIT crop and will post some photos in a few weeks. They look really nice_have had to put in supports for the very heavy colas that the Chocolate Mint OG and the Wonder Daug are producing. Really nice colors too. Can't wait to try them....oldjarhead100_ I don't know the air stones would work in soil because I think the holes might get clogged but maybe if you wrapped them in a screen then that might help. Big issue is that once you put them in the bottom of the planters they are there to stay until harvest. I'll post some pics for you of the AITs once I get them out_ the airlines are inside a porous sleeve that keeps particulates from clogging up the lines. Cheers for the holidays to all!

hey you all_ I'm just about to harvest the AIT crop and will post some photos in a few weeks. They look really nice_have had to put in supports for the very heavy colas that the Chocolate Mint OG and the Wonder Daug are producing. Really nice colors too. Can't wait to try them....oldjarhead100_ I don't know the air stones would work in soil because I think the holes might get clogged but maybe if you wrapped them in a screen then that might help. Big issue is that once you put them in the bottom of the planters they are there to stay until harvest. I'll post some photos of the AIT's once I get them out of the planters in a few weeks.
            Cheers to all for the holidays!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X