Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Node spacing/ is there such a thing as too tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Node spacing/ is there such a thing as too tight?

Hello. Looking at my plants this morning, I noticed I have very little node spacing. Maybe 1/4 inch. I will try to post good pictures later. Also need to build my scrog frame this weekend and install it.

Happy growing.

Madman

Guess it all depends on the strain. I have had autos that have that tight spacing, which told me that plant wasn't going to grow more than three feet tall.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

It's all 4 plants, 3 different strains. All Indica dominant I believe. 2 Chrystal, 1 White Rhino, and 1 Super Skunk. All from Nirvana.

Thanks,

Madman

P.S. They are all photos.

Comment

Your key phrase was - Indica dominant - shorter growing plant.

​​​​​
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I know Indica plants are supposed to be shorter, just haven't seen many pictures of real tight node spacings. A few pictures. If the plants hadn't stretched, they would obviously be much shorter. The plant in DWC is my 1st Chrystal sprout. Almost 2 weeks old. I moved to the bucket to soon. ( no root development prior to transplanting) Other than being stunted, seems healthy. Trying to get Roots to develop over the next 7-10 days so I can move my soil started plants to DWC. Or, I can move to soil for the next week and transplant all 4 to bubble buckets next week. Roots are just starting to come out of the RR plug yesterday. However, I transplanted my other 3 plants into bigger pots as they were just starting to get rootbound.

Happy growing.

Madman

P.S. Sorry for the crappy photos.

Comment

• Madman960
            Madman960 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't plan to transplant them more than twice. I would have only had to transplant them once if my hydroplant had sufficient root mass. It does not so it's the waiting game for me. Totally my fault. It's starting to get good root development now. Giving it til Wednesday before I move my soil plants to hydroponic bubble buckets. The trick is going to be not letting this plant get overrun by the others.

Happy growing.

Madman

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            There is only one node how can they be to tight? Lol or did I miss something?

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            There is only one node, how can they be to tight? Lol or did I miss something?

U may want to let them get a few nodes just watch and wait and the plant will tell u her secrets over time. I had so many questions in the beginning it' ok but the lady' will tell u more than any of us can.
          Last edited by abadtrip; 11-02-2017, 02:46 PM.
          It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

• Madman960
            Madman960 commented
            Editing a comment
            ABT, I totally get that. I was just curious if I try was an issue or not. Apparently it's not so that's cool. I have seen loads of pictures and have not seen any pictures of nodes this tight. I will just go with it. With some LST and manifolding, I can probably veg a little bit longer.

Happy growing.

Madman

If your worried about it, why not just use a less powerful light and let them stretch a tad bit?

Comment

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            To make them stretch, just raise the light. Don't turn it down.

I don't want them to stretch. Leaving things be for now.

Thanks for all the replies.

Madman

Comment

good morning madman the four plants in the picture are all stretching because your light is to far away as for tight nodes the first set of true leafs are usually tight to the coy. leafs, I think you will find that as the second,third modes appear they wont be so tight. my opinion only
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Madman960
              Madman960 commented
              Editing a comment
              OJH, The stretch happened prior to putting them under the LED. They are currently working on the next set of true leaves and it's still really tight. I just hadn't seen pictures of plants with such close spacing. As most have said it's not an issue, I don't see a reason to raise the light.

Happy growing.

Madman

Morning Mm960, Like OJH, said they are already stretched, if they were mine I would definitely lower my light.
            And as she grows a little, you will probably see, she's pretty normal after all.
            I grow in soil, and i use cfls on my seedlings as close as I can get em without hurting the seedlings within 2 or 3 inches, after they are a week or 2 old and growing good then I'll switch to my stronger light.
            I'm not knocking your seedling, but I try to never let my seedlings stretch like yours is doing, I like mine to have short, thick stems, but with seedlings, if you don't stay on top of everything they grow out of control.
            But that's just the way I grow mine, everybody's got different ways of doing things, hope that helps some. Good Luck.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's why I said everybody's different, all I'm saying is I don't like mine to stretch like that at all, some people do I guess, theres more than 1 way to grow for sure.

• Madman960
              Madman960 commented
              Editing a comment
              D.A.A.S. They stretched while under the T12 for 2 days. The light kept shutting of for now reason so I moved them under the LED. Now, I just put my seedlings under the T5 for 2 days and then to the veg tent with the 1500 watt LED at about 30 inches above.

Happy growing.

Madman

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Good deal MM960, that sounds much better, if they were mine ,I would still watch them pretty close for a day or to to monitor whether they were still stretching, If they are just lower your light a little and monitor their growth, till you get your light in the "sweet spot", it's not that hard, you just have to stay on top of it.
              There's no doubt in my mind your gonna have a great harvest, as long as you watch em real close for a few days.
              Good Luck with em.

I believe that it means you have your light exactly at the optical range desired by the plant. Please tell me what light you are using and its distance from the top of the plant.
            completed 7 grows
            what I have learned so far:
            environment maters more than nutrients
            at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
            effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think he's got a 1500watt crxsunny led ,240 or250 watts at the wall, I think, not positive though, I'm not sure if I've got this in the right place or not, I know I didn't on the last post

• Madman960
              Madman960 commented
              Editing a comment
              D.A.A.S is correct. I have a CRXSUNNY 1500 watt LED. $143 on Amazon. Pulls 280-300 Watts at the wall. Plants stretched under a different light. Not tomorrow but the following Monday, I am going to start paying with the light height. I am aiming for 18 inches above the plants.

Happy growing.

Madman

sounds like you have it under control madman happy growing
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X