Flushing before harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing before harvest

In about 3 weeks I plan to start to harvest one of my plants. My question is this: I'm only going to be able to take the top foot of the plant, the lower buds need more time. So, do I flush the plant before I harvest the top of the plant and then start back where I stopped with feeding or just straight water? I don't want to mess the whole shebang up after coming this far, and finally getting a yield bigger than 1/4 oz total.
    Advice appreciated.
    Current grow:
    2-300w led lights
    1- 60w cfl for germination
    2- 5 gal fiber pots
    Kind Soil 5lbs per 5 gal pot
    Compost (80%)/perlite (20%)
    Seeds:
    Shaolin Master auto/fem Harvested
    Kush auto/fem (planted 5/13/18) Harvested
    Sweet Soma auto/fem ready to go into her home soon (kind soil)
    Northern Lights auto/fem, put in soil today, waiting for forever home soon.

Hey Bluecanoe, what you been up to?? You and hubby doing ok? Hope so.
    Ain't you growing in KindSoil? ? If you are you ain't even got to worry with flushing, I'm glad you got got a pretty plant growing this time, we told you that you would do lots better this time didn't we? I'm proud for you. And good luck with your harvest. Sure wish you had some pictures of your medicine though.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

I'm not in kind soil this time, next grow is my kind soil attempt. Right now I'm growing in compost/perlite and am just curious as to if I need to flush before I cut the top 1/2 of the plant off. I really wanted to take the whole plant at once, but the lower buds are just smaller and I hope that by taking the top, the bottom can mature a bit more. So do I flush the plant, then start back with just water afterwards until the lower buds mature? I think maybe 3 weeks after I take the top, the bottom buds will be ready, but what do I know? I fly by the seat of my pants 99% of the time!
      We're doing pretty good, still having to make weekly trips to Nashville to doctors but hopefully soon that'll slow down. The drive just wears me out. It's getting cooler here, but that's what happens when winter is right around the corner huh?
      I wish I had pics too, I've been trying to see my trichomes and may have to buy a loupe off ebay, can't seem to find a magnifying glass that does the trick, and my camera sucks. If I hit the lottery I will get a great camera and a new puppy, sad that I need to hit the lottery to get the dog I want!

Current grow:
      mystery seeds (2) auto/fem
      compost/perlite
      300w led, 60w cfl, small led (not sure of wattage)
      homemade tent 2.5x3x4' covered in reflective material
      temp stays right at 80
      Current grow:
      2-300w led lights
      2- 5 gal fiber pots
      Seeds:

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you using any nutrients?

DAAS, yeah, every other watering I use a 2-7-2 organic nutrient and have been using the black strap molasses on the watering I don't use the nutes; been doing that for a couple of weeks. There are times I just use straight water. Both plants have been wanting water about every 4 days, I make them wait on it, and the plant I'm wanting to cut is slowing down on intake.
      I'm not a strict by the book person. And to think I wanted to be a scientist once upon a time....I think they have to keep good notes and follow the rules. Since 2011, I stopped following the rules because they changed on me and I just said screw it, if it feels right I do it. But I do want to get the color of the trichomes right. I need a relaxing, pain relieving, insomnia combating medicine and if couchlock is included I'll take that too! I want it all except hyper, clean the house and the jitters.
      Current grow:
      2-300w led lights
      2- 5 gal fiber pots
      Seeds:

Comment

Hey Blue, I wouldn't even start your flush till you know that your in that 2 week harvest window, you don't want to start to early, then just water like always except without nutrients, . Your mainly just trying to get rid of salt and whatever nutrients left.
        I'm sure glad you grew you a nice plant this go around. Good Luck Blue.
        PS, I forgot to remind you to still PH your water, when you start your flush.
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

will do DAAS. Thanks for the advice. It's really appreciated.
          Current grow:
          2-300w led lights
          2- 5 gal fiber pots
          Seeds:

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are very welcome young Lady.

hey Blue I give my girls just water and molasses the last two weeks of the grow this flushes all the nutes out of the plant by using them up and the molasses will give good flavor
          new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
          current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• kingfish
            kingfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call, I do exactly the same.

Thanks y'all. I really appreciate the information.
          Current grow:
          2-300w led lights
          2- 5 gal fiber pots
          Seeds:

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are welcome, Blue.

Here's an idea I formulated during my water cure experiment.

If you're going to harvest in phases and those phases might make flushing a problem, take your first harvest and leave as much stem below the cols as possible. Put those colas in a container of RO. watch the ppms and change water at least once a day. kind of like fresh cut flowers. You should notice the PPMs increase less each day, after 3-5 days (guess based on actual water cure observations, you should be good to start dry/cure normal.

Things to note here:

This is based off the assumption that the leaching will work similar to a true water cure.

My guess is that because you aren't submerging the actual buds there should be no loss of smell or flavor, but I haven't tried this yet so I can't say for sure. But because the plant will actually stay living I think only the nutes will leech out.

I intend to try this but currently it's just conjecture based on observation.
          The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
          Water Curing Experiment
          My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

• NebulaHaze
            NebulaHaze commented
            Editing a comment
            What an interesting idea! I'd love to hear how it goes as I could definitely see that working. At the very least this will make really great pictures!

• GanjaGed
            GanjaGed commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll certainly do a write up when I try. I'm also looking forward to getting the chance to do a more controlled side by side of water cure and jar cure.

Say Blue,If you're gonna go three weeks I would feed now, then what oldjarhead said, just phed sweetwater til you pluck em,then I'd feed em again, then just molasses & water again til harvest

Comment

Ganja, thanks for the food for thought.
            Primo, I think that's what I'm going to do. I am merely assuming that I have 3 weeks left til harvest, today is day 57 since germination and another 3 weeks would put me at 78 and if I start doing what OJH suggested for the last two weeks before harvest I should be good. I am still trying to locate a loupe or magnifying glass to show me the trichs. I'm going to the big city next week and hopefully can find a minute to look for one. I don't want to harvest too soon or too late. I want to be right on time.
            Next grow I'm using kind soil so I won't have to worry about it.
            Thanks for all the advice.
            Current grow:
            2-300w led lights
            2- 5 gal fiber pots
            Seeds:

Comment

Blue, if you have an extra $20.00 go to amazon and look at "xcsource 20x800 digital microscope" If you have a laptop to plug into you will be able to see whats going on with your trichs, There is a learning curve but they are pretty cool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S20170213_0005.jpg Views:	2 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	139970

Comment

Primo, that's cool. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
                Current grow:
                2-300w led lights
                2- 5 gal fiber pots
                Seeds:

Comment

If you're looking for a cheap magnifier for checking trichomes, I like this small jeweler's loupe that costs about $12 from Amazon. I've used a few different brands of magnifiers in the <$20 price range and this one is my favorites. I feel like the image is more clear than some of the other similarly priced jeweler's loupes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	q?_encoding=UTF8&amp;ASIN=B00K0BGNNC&amp;Format=_SL160_&amp;ID=AsinImage&amp;MarketPlace=US&amp;ServiceVersion=20070822&amp;WS=1&amp;tag=4200a7-20.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	139985

Comment

Thanks Nebula, I just ordered it! I'll be looking at trichomes up close and personal by Thursday. Whoot Whoot!!
                    Current grow:
                    2-300w led lights
                    2- 5 gal fiber pots
                    Seeds:

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X