No announcement yet.

Making Tinctures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is curing the flower/trim necessary in the edibles/tinctures recipes? I know drying and decarbing are part of the process, just not sure if curing is necessary?

Comment

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive done it both ways and noticed no difference except for extra time to decarb with higher moisture content.

I don't think curing is necessary. My next harvest I'll just dry some buds as dry as my tent can dry them and then into the freezer awaiting QWET.

Comment

I just made tinctures yesterday actually and neither drying nor curing are necessary. Drying and curing are only preparing your bud for ideal consistency and moisture for burning or vaping. Decarbing will transform the compounds regardless if they are dry or not. The only difference is the decarb process will take longer with fresh plant. I put mine in Pyrex dish covered in tin foil with holes for about 90 minutes at 230F, checking and turning every 20 min or so until they were turning golden brown and crunchy.
      Then I did a water bath at 170F in 100 proof vodka for about 30 min. Strained and voila! Tried it out yesterday and it was potent AF haha. It was my first time but I'm super impressed!

Comment

• buz
        buz commented
        Editing a comment
        monster trichomes - nice!

Finished my second tincture, first using the Everclear/Freezer method. I used 2 ozs of average trim (included some minor bud) and a fifth of 190 proof Everclear. Decarb'd the trim/bud @ 250 degs/30 mins. Froze the 190 and the trim separately and after about 4 hrs combined the two (trim and 190). Left in the freezer 24 hrs and then strained though paper coffee filter. Recovered about 18 ozs and double boiled down to about 5 or 6 ozs. Added 5 ozs of Vegetable Glycerin and as yet have not added a flavoring.

Result? Either my trim wasn't high enough caliber or I have a healthy tolerance that takes a bigger kick. I tried as much as 2ml out of a pipette. Zilch, nada, nuttin'. Hmmm Using it sublingually I found the tincture to be "hot", meaning there was a real burning sensation to the tissue. What do you do about that? Oh! - duh!! - don't do it.

Comment

Aww man, Im so sorry it didnt come out with a good kick. I have had some batches weaker and some stronger but all had a decent kick at least. Thats why Im buying a NOVA decarboxylator, to try to get more consistency.Not sure whats up. Sounds like your doing everything the same way I do. This is where I got my info and why I do what I do. https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/ Obviously Ive changed a few things like a 24 hour soak with shaking every few hours compared to there three minute wash. Im also going to fan evaporate my next batch so I dont take a chance of cooking off the good stuff by too high temperatures for a long period of time when Im boiling off the alcohol. Wish I could help more. Maybe you need to take two days off from any cannabis use. It " resets " your tolerance and will allow you to get higher from much lower doses of the good stuff.
        Last edited by Dutchman1; 11-06-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

No problem here Dutchman1. I know when things are straight. I don't know for sure why mine is so weak other than inferior bud. I have a few jars of some good no.1 bud, think I'll risk one. One remaining question about the taste/heat - is this tincture not meant for sublingual use?

Comment

I dont usually stick it under my tongue. It burns a little. But occasionally I swirl it in my mouth and after it mixes with saliva ill hold it under my tongue. I usually put it in my coffee in the morning and occassionally just swallow 10 drops or so during the day for continued pain relief. Of the batches ive made usually 5-10 drops is plenty for me. I have a low tolerance. Stoners I know use a half to a full eye dropper full with good results. And ive only ade one batch with trim and it was the weakest batch of all but was still effective for me. A woman I provide medicine to for Fibromyalgia said it was weak for her. Generally I use grade A bud.
            Last edited by Dutchman1; 11-06-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Buz, I would recommend you use smaller amounts of bud so you dont waste it till you get it down. Only use 1/4 oz and just cover it with everclear. That way if it doesnt work out you dont lose an oz or more. Id also consider fan removal of alcohol so it doesnt have a chance to overcook the good stuff off by boiling. I have had vastly different results with different batches and Im not sure why. Im still fairly new to this. Ive only been making tinctures a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by buz View Post
                Finished my second tincture, first using the Everclear/Freezer method. I used 2 ozs of average trim (included some minor bud) and a fifth of 190 proof Everclear. Decarb'd the trim/bud @ 250 degs/30 mins. Froze the 190 and the trim separately and after about 4 hrs combined the two (trim and 190). Left in the freezer 24 hrs and then strained though paper coffee filter. Recovered about 18 ozs and double boiled down to about 5 or 6 ozs. Added 5 ozs of Vegetable Glycerin and as yet have not added a flavoring.

Result? Either my trim wasn't high enough caliber or I have a healthy tolerance that takes a bigger kick. I tried as much as 2ml out of a pipette. Zilch, nada, nuttin'. Hmmm Using it sublingually I found the tincture to be "hot", meaning there was a real burning sensation to the tissue. What do you do about that? Oh! - duh!! - don't do it.
                250 F for 30 minutes is far less time than what I use to decarb. And 2 ml would be a small dose. That could be the problem. I've read Dutch and Russian sources saying "110 for 110" or 110 C for 110 minutes. Thats 230 F for an hour and fifty minutes. I use that formula and it works great. One gram of flower to one oz of EverClear.
                Friends do 5-10 ml for the desired effect. I usually do 15-30 ml mixed with a drink.
                To decarb I float a sealed aluminum herb storage canister on peanut oil. A digital thermometer in the oil confirms it temperature. I usually have the oil at 240 F and go the ful 110 minutes of roasting.

You can also evaporate all the alcohol out, and decarb the resulting oil/tar. Look at my post about Safer RSO.
                It works, but the little batch I did was not as strong as the Golden Tiger from EverClear.

Good luck.

Comment

Comment

Stopped by my local store today, got a big bottle of THC syrup. I filled a tee spoon with the stuff, 25MG worth and mixed it in a soda!. I will give you a review in 2 hours

Comment

I'm confused.

Comment

Little over two hours now and time is slowing down fast!. tee spoon was just the right dose (for me anyway.) Roomer has it the effects can last up to SIX HOURS we shall see.

Comment

I calculated that the fractionated coconut oil I made is roughly 25 to 35 mg/mL or about 123 to 172 mg/tsp. I am a low tolerance user so I only dose 0.7 mL at a time, I bumped this up to 0.8 mL and I was more medicated than I like to be while at home. I have another batch that I made with my blonde 73 micron dry ice hash and it should be 40 to 50 mg/mL, I am waiting for a day that I don't have anything planned to try that batch out.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X