• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1st Complete Organic Live Soil LED Grow - Seed vs. Clone -

Greetings Everyone, I'm Lotusyde
    I've watched and assisted friends growing previously, 12 years roughly
    After having endured their numerous and repetitious trials and errors,
    I took note of what not to do and wanted to see what would happen if someone took my advice. So earlier this year i started my own grow,

After some research into organic gardening and light frequency, i knew that living soil and LED was the way i wanted to go,

MY LIGHTS:
    So i built my own 4 band LED panel (R/G/B/W) and still after many upgrades and modifications, i was fortunate enough to have
    built the majority of my 2ftx4ft panel for free. Once i realized that my 160+LED light wasn't putting off as much light as i wanted to I opted to add
    x3 54~watt E27 6 band=(Red/Far Red/Blue/Orange/UV/IR) LED Bulbs, after which i saw explosive growth. 15,000-20,000 LUX (which i know isnt the same as PAR but its what i have to measure with) I opted to used my panel as a veg/flower booster with good effect. I'm able to saturate areas of the plant that are impossible with conventional fixed lights.

MY SOIL:
    I found a great fully organic living soil called Vortex Lady bug brand, after a little studying on organic gardening i knew this was an easy option for starting out, I opted for 4 gallon basic black planters, i cut out the bottoms leaving a small lip and replaced the the bottoms with mesh for better drainage and breath-ability. Which i can say works great thus far. initially the soil wasnt fine enough to start a seed in so i used a food processor and refined it to a finer medium and the second round took off and rooted well. I use a neem concentrate for pest control and only apply lightly by hand via micro sprayer to the bottom of fan leaves.

MY PLANTS:
    So lets start with the bad, The Clone... I've given this GSC clone the most love and careful attention that i could, but after finding out that clones can never develop a tap root i've somewhat backed off from having any expectations about its success, This clone came from one of those friends who was just doing it wrong for so long and i thought that i could do better with it. Being that a clone is of the exact genetics of its mother plant this one was doomed and from a long line of doomed plants, i let it keep going just based on morals alone otherwise i would have killed it long ago, it's weak flimsy and doesn't smell as good as the seedling. Also the clone is a whole month older than the seedling. Ive also defoliated the hell out of it recently.

Both are approximately in their 4th weeks of flowering tonight.

On to the Good one, I found this 1 seed in a bag of some cheesy indica. and so after the clone looked like shit after a month, i planted this one. I topped this one at its 6th node and have defoliated lightly on the inside of the 4 top buds to allow the most light penetration. and also on the outside somewhat to reduce weight. It's frosty and stinky in all the right ways and i have no concerns about this one so far, she's a beast boasting a thick stalk and equally thick limbs and low spacing in between the nodes. i vegged for a month and a half and now am 4 weeks into flowering. both stand at 2.5 feet. My veg NPK was 6-12-6 and ive since moved it to 4-10-15 for flowering. My pH sits firmly at 7.1. My temp is from 70-73 consistently my humidity sits at 50-60%

Comments, critiques, questions and advice welcome! Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Lotusyde; 11-11-2016, 03:59 PM.

this is the clone

Comment

Looks like a great setup (the inside of a spaceship of something) LOL. Is the first pic the clone? The close up of buds are real beauties. Love all those sugar leaves.

I'm don't think your statement that clones can't grow tap roots is true. If the clone came from bad genetics, that's one thing. I'm glad you are kind enough to still give her a chance.

Comment

Clone is kind of frail looking. Like I said in previous post, I'm glad you are still giving her a chance. Buds may end up puny, but cured properly may still prove to be good stuff.

Comment

• Lotusyde
        Lotusyde commented
        Editing a comment
        And I agree. I saw the end product from my friends other clones from the same plant that started earlier. The buds ended up being okay. Just not what they could be

First of all, Welcome to our world Lotusyde. We love to have new growers join our group. From you introduction I see you have a few grows under your belt. I'm really impressed with you LED setup. Keep us up to date on your grow.

Comment

• Lotusyde
        Lotusyde commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I appreciate your feed back. It's been a lot of fun so far

That is literally the coolest looking LED setup I've ever seen! How did you get into building it? I don't have any advice, just compliments! Your plants look like they're responding really well to the LEDS!

Comment

Thanks Nebula, I appreciate your praise. I studied light for awhile and was only more interested in growing then as well. So one day a dear friend of mine just so happened to invite me to come check out his workshop where he built a variety of custom signs for all kinds of well known businesses. So in the midst of helping him, he showed me a pile of multi colored LEDs that he said were left over, and also had an uneven piece of plexi glass that was also trash. I told him about the random idea i had of building my own panel and he was in. He also supplied me with a power ballast. 200+ LEDS - PLEXI. I sourced out the RECAIMED PALLET WOOD - TOGGLES - WIRES screws & spent a lot of time. I must have tinkered and reworked it 5 times. In the end I spent about $15 on parts for the panel. The 6band led bulbs were $30 a piece and really brought it together. Altogether I spent about 20 hours working on it. I learned so much😅it was a valuable experience. Being able to switch & mix the blues & reds has made a world of difference for each cycle so far.

P.s. My electric bill has stayed awesomely low. Under $150 in a 4 bedroom house. LEDs = efficiency for me. ⚡

Comment

Very cool, ingenious, great light dispersion. My daughter is always taking in clones from some of her "Black Thumbed" friends, she and her signifant other try too school them but they never seem to get it or just get to distracted by life to do it properly. She has resurrected some I though were surely to far gone to be saved. The yield was reduced but the bud she did get was very good. Nice post, Welcome Aboard!

Comment

Almost week 5 of flowering

Comment

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              Just beautiful!

She is a beauty Lotus. Looks like she is ready to flower. Very pretty, what is it ?

Comment

• Lotusyde
              Lotusyde commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks 👑🐟 She is a blue cheese, the tops are almost 4 inches and super dense so far. Tuesday is the 5th week of flowering. Hopefully she'll be ready to harvest in another 3&1/2 - 4 weeks if I'm lucky

Week 5 update here ya go Tika

Comment

• Tika
              Tika commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahhh! Exquisite! Just very very lovely Lotus.

• Lotusyde
              Lotusyde commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I can't wait to try autos next.

very nice Lotus. looks like it snowed on her.

Comment

• Lotusyde
              Lotusyde commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks kingfish, i appreciate your feedback. it's not bad for my first time as captain of the ship, i've had alot of other peoples mistakes to learn from luckily. its nice to let my green thumb show, if only in the future we could somehow manage to upload the scent too. someone get working on that please

• Royal Nugs
              Royal Nugs commented
              Editing a comment
              Billion dollar idea there... smell-o-vision.

I'd probably be 500 lbs if that were invented. Imagine all the food commercials...

Wow, they have gotten so much bigger in just 6 days!!!! 👀✨
            (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• Lotusyde
              Lotusyde commented
              Editing a comment
              I love my girls. Sometimes it's hard to notice their growth since I see them every day. Im sure other green thumbs feel the same. Another 3-4 weeks until harvest hopefully, fingers crossed =)

We shall pour something!
            Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
            Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
            GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
            photoperiod feminized seeds
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n18162[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n18161[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n18160[/ATTACH]

tell me what you think!
              Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X