First time as a grower!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time as a grower!

Hey guys! I've been a dealer dependent for a decade already. My roommate and I just decided we're going to invest the money and effort to grow our own Marjuana plant. I've been reading a lot about it, I'm so looking forward to start this beautiful journey. My seeds are already on their way, but before buying all

My grow tent is going to be 48”x48”x80”, I'm planing` to grow 3 plants (2 sativa, 1 indica) with a LED Grow Light of 300 W (http://a.co/9p6DJKC), and maybe boost the flowering phase with some HPS light (http://a.co/58wFDnm). Is that enough light intensity?

If I use Pre-Made Super Soil (http://a.co/hNga1lw) that means I just use this and skipping adding nutrients from the seedling until the harvesting without getting any disadvantage?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by marcovasqz; 10-17-2017, 06:02 AM.

Bubbleponics - 32"x 32"x 63" tent
    400 watt MH/HPS lights

[JOURNEY] Bubbleponics 400W HPS/MH Grow Lights
    Started 11/10/17 https://goo.gl/frRGTQ

Hey Marco, welcome!!! You will love it!!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• marcovasqz
      marcovasqz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

good morning Marco I checked out you lights both will work and will give you good bud, that being said did you read the tutorial on GWE for lighting , the more powerful the light(to a certain point) the bigger the buds/better the yield . I hear great things about the 315lec I believe its a ceramic light. or if you can afford it a 600w hps. I went with the same size led light as you but once I had it hooked up I realized I needed 2 of them, you can also buy your soil from kind directly kindsoil.com 25lbs for 87. with 27 shipping, expensive but I think worth it . I probably don.t use 87 worth of nutes with my photo plants but when you add in everything else its about the same. you will need a potting soil to go with the kind soil, I used happy frog. read the lighting tutorial its worth it ,your tent will be fine for 3 plants but the Sativas will dwarf the indica good luck
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• marcovasqz
      marcovasqz commented
      Editing a comment
      I really appreciate all the information, I’ve read that guide a couple times already but still quite confusing for me since I’ve never grown a plant before.

Would you recommend growing only one strain so the indica doesn’t get dwarf? Or it’s not significant enough to care about?

Thank you!!

• Graff420
      Graff420 commented
      Editing a comment
      He just means the sativas are meant to be big beast while indicas stay short and stubby like mine so your lights will be way up high feeding the sativas while the indicas are down low fighting for light so yea id say split them into 2 differnt grows grow 3 sativas now 3 indicas later for your 2nd grow but you dont have to go as far as the same strain

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      OR--what I do most of the time nowadays--is grow compatible hybrid strains that have more or less the same flower period and the same height. I always take into consideration if it says it's going to be a particularly bushy strain, because I don't want anyone crowding out everyone else... Marco, here's how I organize my info on each strain. (The weeks refers to the flowering period).

CHEMDAWG fem HSO 9 wks 35-40" THC 20%
      Genetics: sativa-dominant hybrid
      Effects: cerebral, euphoric, uplifting

CINDERELLA 99 fem G13 Labs 7-8 wks Short" THC very high
      Genetics: Mostly Sativa; Jack Herer x Haze.
      Effects: Cerebral, intensely psychoactive. Combination of physical and cerebral effects.

ICED GRAPEFRUIT fem Female Seeds 8 wks 45" THC 15%+
      Genetics: Grapefruit x Ice, Sativa dominant 60/40%.
      Effects: Strong physical and mental pain-killer/ anti-depressant.

LITHIUM OG KUSH fem Nirvana 8-10 wks 25-45" THC 10-15%, CBD 1-5%
      Genetics: OG Kush x Master Kush.
      Effects: Calming, anxiolytic qualities, uplifting and euphoric in nature--a natural anti-depressant. Daytime use.

These are the four strains I'm currently growing in my grow box.

Marco, welcome, Sounds like a plan,if you are in an apt. you will also need a good charcoal filter, and start studying Nebulas tips and tricks for the growing knowledge a guy needs. You got this.

Comment

• marcovasqz
      marcovasqz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll keep reading about it!! Thanks

Morning Marco an I'll even say good morning to your roomie an grow buddy. Even though I got something to say about even having anyone else know I'm growing, good luck with that part. Y'all have a nice size tent an leds are really good at veg. You might want to get another one or two, leds grow good bud also, but you generally want about double what your leds put out. I know you both will love your homegrown growing experience, cause its lots better than dogsh-t y'all been buying from the peddlers. Welcome to GWE, plenty of good help here also if you ever need any. Good Luck with your growing.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• marcovasqz
      marcovasqz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!! Would you recommend getting a bigger (or different) lights instead? Or a couple of these are going to be okay?

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      A few more leds would be fine, but if your going to continue growing, which is really addictive an fun ,you might want to look at a 315lec, You can get those for about 200 bucks, and that one light would be perfect for your 4x4 tent , plus they grow beautiful dense bud, check out the 315cmh-lec, they are awesome lights. Good Luck Marco

Well come to the forum Marco, Read all u could read on GWE, Read all u could about suppersoil ,, like the others good brothers on here said the LED u getting r good but one is just not enough when I started about one legged and I ended up getting 3 more and then I went and got me a 400w hps and then I got a 600w , the first 300w LED was good but it did not give me the yield I wanted so I kept going up and up , I spent a lot of money but it was all worth it cuz I still use all the lights now, right now I am running just all four LEDs and the plant's looking beautiful,, if you ever need help with anything just ask have wonderful people in here that would love to help you well I hope everything works out for you take care and I wish you the best of luck , growers love from the heart

Comment

• marcovasqz
      marcovasqz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot bro!! I’m going to get more lights then. Would you recommend getting a bigger or maybe diferent lamp instead? Or a couple of these lamps are going to work fine?
      Last edited by marcovasqz; 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM.

• Little
      Little commented
      Editing a comment
      With a few LEDs u should be ok but like D.A.A.S.69 said u will get hooked so getting a more higher watt light would be better but if u don't want to spend a lot of money at first it's cool u could get one or 2 LEDs just to get ur feet wet and then move up ,, take ur time you'll be ok learn all u can start slow with what u had in mind and see how things go if u like what u r doing , and u will lol then invested more money into ur set up, ,,,

Welcome to the fourm theres a lot of people with great knowledge. What seeds did u get strain, autos photos, what nutes are u adding co2 and look into ur led u wanna find ur true wattage u want 50-100 true watts per sqf also if u havnt bought soil yet promix works awesome! U want a 50/50 soil to perlite. If ur planniing on growing indicas with sativas u will need to learn how to top you plants because sativas grow 2-3 times taller than indicas and u still want ur plants to have the same distance from the lights. Also look into a fan 5times the cfm then ur tent size to keep humidity low, also invest in a temp/rh (relitive humidty meter) the lower the rh in flower the denser ur buds. Also ull want a pk booster like 50/34 to add into flower along side ur normal nutes, I personaly like emerald harvest for nutes but a freind of mine gets awesome results from cyco nutes. Happy growing

Comment

• marcovasqz
      marcovasqz commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought this pack of 15 seeds (https://shop.ilovegrowingmarijuana.c...ant=1176246536) that includes three feminized strains of marijuana: Gold Leaf, Super Silver Haze, and Purple Haze.

I don’t get what you’re asking about CO2 sorry :-(

I haven’t bought anything yet, I’m trying to double check everything is alright. I’ll google about promix.

I’ll definitely do LST to my plants while growing.

I’ll get a humidity (Home gets muggy sometimes and winter is coming), a temperature meter, a ph meter and also the fans. I Want to make sure my plants grow healthy.

Thanks a lot again!!

• tyler_ hobbyist
      tyler_ hobbyist commented
      Editing a comment
      Cannabis plants use co2 as we use oxygen, cheap ways to add co2 is the exhanle co2 bag or the fermination method (500ml water 1cup white sugar and 2tbsp of yeast) put into a bottle and set per plant, this method needs to be refilled each week, where the exhale co2 bag is mainencee free and last 6months the bags are about 40bucks and well worth it!. Ilgm seeds are great genes iv grown there seeds and no complaints. Iv been growing for a while so if u got any questions feel free to ask I love teaching what I know

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey!!!! That same package was my very first purchase of seeds!!!! ;-}

Welcome and good luck. Nothing like growing your own. (Not just the higher quality and lower cost but amazing satisfaction at producing it yourself.) When looking at lights you have to take a look at your grow space and what is going to work for the size and ventilation you have. HPS is great but gives off a lot of heat. LED is cooler but needs a higher distance above the plants etc. Don't go overboard too early. After your first 1 or 2 grows you will have a much better idea of what works well for you and what doesn't for you space and other grow needs. Everyone will talk about how they wished they had started with this bigger or brighter light etc. but you don't want to end up with a 600w HSP light and not be able to keep the temps in your grow room/tent below 95f or a great LED set up but always burn the top buds because of height restriction. Whatever you decide for your space I would recommend starting with just one light and do one grow before investing in a second. Please take the time to look at all the ways to keep your grow secret and make sure your roommate is on board with the top three rules NO SMELL, NO SELL, NO TELL. Good luck and there will always be folks here ready to help. It really is fairly easy to grow decent weed. YAY!

Comment

In my opinion if u want leds go with vipraspecra or bestva lights, but MAKE sure to reserch the light because the vipraspectra 300watt actualy only drays 130wats and the bestva 1000w actualy only drays 200watts and u want 50-100watts per sqf so a 48x48 tent ull want about 800 true watts of light. Just remember more light directly increases yeild. Ur looking in the range of 0.5 dry grams per watt for a newbie. U could get away with less light but then u have to acount that into ur yeild. Light is key!

Comment

After a couple days considering all the information you guys gave me, I completely flipped my plans and I'll invest more money (I don't have yet lol). The only thing I'll keep is basically the grow tent, I'm changing the medium to Bubbleponics, It will be easier for me to work with no soil because my work area is quite limited. I'm changing the lights to a 1000W HPS/MH system (http://a.co/4yDBl2U) with this Duct Fan with Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter Combo 440 CFM (http://a.co/294WZku). I'm now planing to grow 4 plants. I haven't decided which ones though. How do you guys recommend me to storage the rest of the seeds? What do you guys think about the new set up? Is it going to work fine?
        Last edited by marcovasqz; 10-19-2017, 12:28 AM.

Bubbleponics - 32"x 32"x 63" tent
        400 watt MH/HPS lights

[JOURNEY] Bubbleponics 400W HPS/MH Grow Lights
        Started 11/10/17 https://goo.gl/frRGTQ

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a hydro grower myself, and I know that it's cleaner than soil. I store my seeds in glass vials in a cool dark place.

1000w hid for a 4x4 space like perfect! U might find ur self needing an enclosed refelcor tho. 1000w in a 4x4 will raise ur temp about 20-30degrees with a an enclosed reflector ur temp will be raised about 10degrees. Another way to go is install an ac. I had a 4x4 wood shed with a 8000btu ac and 2, 1000w hids and the temp remained at 75ish. now that iv tryed 2000w in a 4x4 I would say it was a waste even with high co2. I only yeilded a wee bit more than with just a 1000w. Also the nice thing about ac's is that they are dehumidifyers as well which will dense up ur buds. Dry air equals tighter buds. Ya for ur seeds ya u can store em in anything at room temp without moisture. Happy growing everyone

Comment

• marcovasqz
          marcovasqz commented
          Editing a comment
          I live in NY and a cold winter is coming and I don't think high temperature is going to be an issue. I have an AC I could use If I need it though. Thanks for your help tyler!

Ur very welcome anytime

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X