Concerns about my drying setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerns about my drying setup

I am not able to hang my plants to dry inside the house so I am hanging them in my shed out back. I'm in the Northeast so right now it's typically cold and wet outside and the shed is not insulated so I am concerned about the humidity. The forecast for the next week is low 70's to low 80's during the day but it looks like there will be a lot of rain. Will my plants still dry properly or am I going to have problems? Will I just need to let it hang longer than the usual 3-7 days before moving to jars for curing?

I feel for you. I dryed my last harvest in 70 to 80 rh I cut the buds off of the stems and used a drying rack it took 14 days be for they went into the jars.
    It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

Ok, if it takes two weeks I'm cool with that, just want to make sure it will still dry and not go bad or anything.

Comment

Keep checking in on them and I highly recommend using a drying rack like abadtrip said. High RH may bring on budrot if you dont keep a good airflow.
        My Last Grows:
        1. http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...n-forest-28-1g

2. http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...s-platinum-gsc

My Current Grow:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/member/2395-alphaphoenix

Comment

Hey Barron, I'd recommend some kind of indoor drying rack like this: https://www.amazon.com/Zazzy-Layer-B...ing+rack&psc=1

and your indoor humidity should be ok if you're in the NE. If not, use a fan not pointed directly at the buds, but enough to keep air circulating. I think you're playing with fire drying them outside in cold, rainy weather. Even though that sounds contradictory...fire/rain...
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I'm hopeful there is enough airflow out in the shed, and at least they will be dry. But the humidity is definitely a concern.

The issue with drying them inside is the odor, the wife can't stand the odor. I was hoping to hang them in the basement which is at around 50% humidity and 65-70 degrees but the wife has the nose of a bloodhound and can smell it upstairs.

Comment

Here is a photo of how I'm hanging my plants. This is about half of what I have hanging to dry. I'm still looking at ordering a drying rack if you guys think it'll help and prevent issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YDMWOY

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                They look really beautiful. Baron: a drying rack out in a cold, humid shed isn't going to make any difference. I have a dryer with a carbon filter on it; you may want to look into getting one of those for your next harvest. Or get a dehumidifier for the shed, and a little space heater.

Just how cold is it going to be at night? If it's not too cold, I don't think that's a problem; more the humidity.

your best bet may be to try to water cure your buds, if i understand correctly you wont have to worry so much about the humid rainy weather for drying if you water cure them first. Im not sure but GWE has a section on the website about water curing. Just a thought.

Comment

Alltatup: The High's for the next two weeks look to be all high 70's to mid 60's, the lows go between mid 40's to mid 50's. The outdoor Humidity according to the forecast should be between 60 and 70% except for a couple days next week when we're forecasted to get a good amount of rain.

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  by Nebula Haze Temperatures are dropping in the northern hemisphere and unfortunately cannabis plants don't like the cold. In fact, many strains start growing more slowly if the temperature gets under 60°F (15°C), and freezing temperatures can cause major injury or even death!

Arm yourself with knowledge, run an extension cord out there and keep them in the proper zone!! As you know, you can totally screw up some top shelf bud if you screw up the dry and cure.

Evening 164, nice looking buds, nice. Whatever you do , Do Not Overdry. You don't want them to dry to quickly .That's for sure.. How about eating a bunch onions an garlic for 5 or 6 days ,reckon she could still smell then ?just kiddin. I hope it goes well.
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

• Baron164
                  Baron164 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish it was that easy to trick her nose lol

It should be fine hanging separated like in your picture. Just as long as it doesn't get wet. The humidity going up and down shouldn't matter. Except it might take longer to dry. I've seen a lot of pot cured outside.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X