Low Stress Training (LST) DIY Techniques & Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Stress Training (LST) DIY Techniques & Tips

Hello fellow weed growers. Before anything, I want to point out that the Grow Weed Easy site provides us all with amazing details on what LST (Low Stress Training) is and how to go about practicing it located here. Feel free to check them out. Very good info. That being said, this topic isn’t necessarily on what LST is, but rather what techniques we ourselves use on our own plants (for those who wish to share of course lol).
    I’m not claiming I invented these techniques, obviously. There are countless people that have come up with them I’m sure. I just thought I’d share them with you all. Maybe someone will post their techniques and I’ll try theirs. We all learn/discuss, and nobody loses.

The pic I’m providing is of a typical 5-gal bucket with those 6” bucket baskets.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LST-5-Gal.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	132843

The first one I started using years ago, and still am today, is the one you see with the green twisty ties. I drilled a few very small holes then I stuck a twisty tie (bent in half for strength) through the holes to create a very small “loop”. I tied them nice and tight underneath the basket and now you have a nice, strong loop to use for your LST. You can drill the holes anywhere you’d like in any pattern. Even add them as needed if you wish. Make sure you drill the holes as small as possible so light won’t try to ease its way in though. I believe the drill bit size I used was a 5/64. Now, there’s a reason I drilled my holes in that certain pattern. A while back, as my plant grew out horizontally in size, I wanted to keep giving it a bit more LST beyond the basket. So I bought a pack of round, wooden craft sticks and inserted one stick through two of the twisty tie loops so that the stick stuck out beyond the basket. This gave me much more room to keep tying the plant down if I so chose to. So basically if you took a top view pic, it would look like a + sign. That is some extreme LST, but it works.

Second one I started using were those clear (or white) plastic hooks with adhesive in the back. I bought these at the dollar store in a pack of 12. It’s obviously much faster and more convenient than the previous technique; just peel and stick. Those in the pic aren't stuck on. I just put them there so you know which ones I mean. You can stick them on the top like that or the sides of the bucket.

Third technique I found by accident. I had my growing notebook nearby while doing a little LST to my plant. One of the binder clips falls off and lands by my pile of sticky ties. I pick it up and look at it for a minute. Then I looked at the bucket and notice those little “grooves” on the side…. Lol. I had my doubts when I was clipping it on. But it actually held on quite nicely. I pulled it up and it even picked up the bucket, no lying. These are the 0.75”. But you have to make sure those “grooves” on the buckets stick out enough for a better grip.

I’m sure there are your typical twisty ties tied to the basket’s edge, but I don’t like that techniques much because whenever I move the lid a bit, some of them tend to spring back out. However, gangs of growers use them, so it’s all good.

I guess these techniques can be used for those who do some serious LST early to mid veg or so. Once the plants get bigger and taller, then you want to start using a trellis, tomato rings, etc. Some even use ropes from the ceiling to help support the weight of their buds and so forth. Speaking of which, that’s pretty interesting. I’d like to know what those things technically are called that hang from the ceiling and help support your heavy buds. Anyway, what techniques do you guys use for your early LST? Happy growing!
    Last edited by Cannabliss; 10-02-2017, 11:19 PM.
    Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
    White Widow Grow Journal

Plant yo-yo.

Comment

Burny Thanks for the reply. Just now looked it up.
      White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

Currently I'm trying wooden clothespins and twisty wire. I'll be using the clothespins on the upcoming ScrOG grow also, fastening to the top of the screen rather than the bottom.
        The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
        Water Curing Experiment
        My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          hey GG I just bought some plant clips they are like cloths pins but they won't put so much pressure on the girls check them outhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014OFSHEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• GanjaGed
          GanjaGed commented
          Editing a comment
          TY got them bookmarked!

Originally posted by GanjaGed View Post
        Currently I'm trying wooden clothespins and twisty wire. I'll be using the clothespins on the upcoming ScrOG grow also, fastening to the top of the screen rather than the bottom.
        Thanks for your reply. Using clothespins is a great money-saving idea. I have a gang of the plastic ones lying around. But, if you don't mind me asking, how do you mean "fastening to the top of the screen rather than the bottom."? Sorry, I never used these yo-yo's things or clips and the such before. Just a basic trellis. I'm curious.
        White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• GanjaGed
          GanjaGed commented
          Editing a comment
          Instead of tucking the plant under the screen, just fastening the branches to the top. of the screen. Trying to save myself, and the plants from me trying to get my hands underneath. If I were to have an alien limb episode or even just a bad onset of tremors I could literally tear everything to shreds before I could stop or get my hands/arms out from under or back through the net. If I'm only dealing with something up top I'm much less likely to destroy the entire grow.

So right now the plan is to let the plant come up through the net, supercrop in desired direction, fasten to top of net with clothes pin. supercrop each branch as it clears the net or I want it to change direction. It shouldn't change anything that a normal scrog does... that I've thought of anyways, lol

• Cannabliss
          Cannabliss commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I see what you mean now. That's a great idea. Thanks for explaining that for me.

hey canna I use what ever I have from big nuts to fishing weights to hold the girls down
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Cannabliss
          Cannabliss commented
          Editing a comment
          Good ideas. I managed to make my own version of them yo-yo's using some of them plastic clothesline pins and some fishing line. Just waiting for them colas to get heavier so I can try them out.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X