The demise of the CFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The demise of the CFL

Due to the fact that I live in an 'unenlightened' state and the relatively short stature of my indoor stealth grow area, I have always used fluorescent lights, generally the compact CFLs. I have noticed as I approach this years indoor growing season that they are getting harder and harder to find. Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot etc just flat out don't have them anymore and when I can find them they are now more expensive than household LEDs. I can get them on Ebay, but obviously you run the risk of getting bulbs that already have 2k hours or are duds when you buy that way. For now I am buying on Amazon, but its got me wondering how much longer we'll be able to get them.

Do any of you other CFL growers have a decent source for bulbs? Are you stocking up on them?

I just started a micro grow tht will be useing cfls all the way threw but I've always used them for at least the first two weeks of veg and never have had issues finding them at Lowe's 150 watt cfls for 10 bucks a pop or 6 100 watt for 15 bucks in a yellow box always in the same spot. Walmart definitely dnt carry them and I cant speak for home depot because the closest one for me is an hour drive

Comment

You can also still get a small T5 that will not take up much room and can be right up next to the plants like the CFl bulbs.

Comment

Oh I can still get them, but they are on their way out. I either need to stock up or get a taller cabinet.

Comment

I stocked up and then poof all stores around me put them on close out. Heres a bone.
          Buy screw-in Compact Fluorescent lamps ranging from 2 to 200 watts at 1000Bulbs.com. Find a wide selection of the best CFL Bulbs from top brands today.
          You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I buy my lighting supply's at growershouse.com cheapest t5s don't know about cfls but they carry alot of stuff
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Cannabliss
              Cannabliss commented
              Editing a comment
              Great prices too imo. This is where I got my first T5 fixture years ago. Using LED's for my weed now, but I still use those T5's. Gotta reorder some new bulbs for it though.

Not sure where you live but in my area we have a store called Fred's and i recently purchased mine from there due to walmart not carrying them anymore. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Try Philips Tornado 32w, this is a good and cheap source of light
              Im running one plant under 4x tornados 32w in 40cmx40cm box. you can see the results
              Seed: 1x Amnesia Haze Feminized from Royal Queen Seeds Growbox: 40x40x80 with mylar Lights: 4x CFL Philips Tornado 32W E27 socket Medium: 14 liters pot (about

Comment

Archaic , one place I have had luck is building supply recyclers, like habitat for humanity, even general second hand stores (used bulbs). At building material recyclers I even scored a case of NIB 32watt bulbs for a buck a piece. Its a scroungers game for sure but lower prices just mean its stock up time! Good luck.
                Organic only soil grower
                Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
                Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

Try your local Kroger's, Piggly Wiggly, whatever grocery stores you might have also seen him in the Dollar Generals cheap dollar stores good luck

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X