Curing questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing questions?

Hey All!! Hope the pot gods have been treating you all well!

After a ton of problems, I finally harvested. I pulled all my buds of the plant, trimmed them and dried them till they were dry, almost crunchy, on the outside (between 2-3 days in 70-72 degree, 45-50% humidity) on a dry rack and then jarred them in half gallon mason jars 75% full. My question is this: I've been taking the bids out of the jars and letting them air for 10 minutes and the. Putting them back in the jars daily. My buds still smell very green and it has been 7-10 days, depending on the jars. Is this normal? When can I expect to start seeing the smell and taste develop?

That's hard to say DJ . Myself I don't let them get "crunchy" on the outside to me that's too dry before cure . Also I use quart size Mason jars that might keep humidity better less air in the jar . But I also use the 62% humidity packs as soon as I jar them . Then start the cure . For me it takes a week or more before the green grass smell goes away sometimes 2 or more considering how dry they get . But I never rack dry either I hear that drys quicker and what you want is a slow cure from the start without getting mold . The regular GWE website has a full article on drying process follow that and everything is good to go .
    Some other people will chime in as well because I am a newb at the full cure too.
    Currently use 2 gal bubbleponics tank
    Using 150 Watt HPS
    Trying 300 watt LED
    General Hydro Nutes ,reg and organic
    Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

The reason u get that amazing smell is actualy because the thrics have been pop/destroyed and they release that frangrance. So either u dnt have much thrics on ur buds or they have not been destroyed yet. The terps are what makes ur plants smell there inside ur thrics

Comment

Usualy u should notice the smell all the way thro from fresh and it will just slightly change. If ur a new grower look into microbes and sugar products more different sugars the better but u need the microbes as well. H2no will kill all taste in ur buds as well. Also look into products to increase terps. P.s my very 1st grow the bud tasted and smelled like hay, so its all a learning curve

Comment

Watch ur temps60-75 rh20's-30's flushing last 2weeks (in the flush add microbes and sugars!!!!) last 48hours complete darkness zero light. Terp products all thro flower. Those are just somethings to increase crystal and terp/ flavor and smell.

Comment

2-3 day dry time is really fast. You will want to try to extend that by at least 3-4 more days. Try leaving more leaves on the buds during the drying period to slow it down. I've noticed the smell comes back much quicker and the quality of the bud is better when drying is extented to 7-10 days.
            Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling you dried them buds much too fast. 2-3 days to dry? Were you using fans on them? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. The slower/naturally you allow them to dry, the better quality. Never, ever rush the drying/curing periods. Those are the most important times of growing weed (IMHO). Anyway, the minimum time to dry is around a week to 2 weeks. You'll know when they're ready to cure when the large stems seem to break easily when bent. Also, use a smaller mason jar. Quart size jars are suggested. I also wouldn't suggest using a drying rack. Those things dry your buds even faster in my experience. Just hang them on clothes hangers or something like that and let them dry on their own. If your buds still feel too dry, try putting them back in the jars and add one of them 62% humidity packs. Then just open them daily for a couple of minutes (not 10 like you stated). Feel them daily until they're not as dry, then take it from there. Keyword here is 'Patience'.
              Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
              White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

I think drying properly like Obi-Wan says is just as important if not more so than the cure, the Cure- awesome band too.
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

I do agree with the slow drying process buds will dry at different times tho small 1gram - 3gram roughly buds will dry in 2-3days where a 5-7gram bud takes around 7-8days and. 10-14gram buds take 10days this is my exspereince but ur wind and rh play a huge roll in this. Personaly once any stems of that rateing start to snap open I then start cureing with b62 packs and small rh meters in jars if my rh is around 70or higher then I open my lids for 2hours then close them again over night. I also only fill my jars about half full so I can give them a gental shake as the moisture in the middle is always different the the moisture on the outside. For me this is a min 2week process before I start enjoying the fruit of my labor lol

Comment

P.s I loose half my bud weight when dry how about everyone else?

Comment

• GanjaGed
                      GanjaGed commented
                      Editing a comment
                      damn, nice I lose 75% damn near exactly every time. That's at 60-64 RH stable.

I rack dry mostly:

My thoughts:

Stop worrying about days for the dry. I let mine sit on the rack until they feel dry outside then jar them with a Hygrometer overnight. If the RH is above 70, and it should be, I rack them again for the day and jar at night until they stabilize at around 70. Then I'll burp the jars for about an hour a day, and rack them for about 2-3 hours before bed and re jar over night. Repeat until between 60 and 64 RH. From there I burp about 5 min in the morning and night for a couple days then once a week, month

Note I pack my jars very loose until I get to the 60% rh range, so I can slide them in and out of the jars gently, usually onto some wax or parchment paper and trim-bag any shake.

All the air dry does is help guard against mold, after you get that initial moisture out, if you can take the time jar drying them lets you control how fast or, preferably, slow it all happens. Those numbers work for me in my climate and change some according to season and any out of the normal weather.

In days that works close to 2-3 days air dry and another 3-7 bringing the RH down to the dry point. The nice thing is it's damn near impossible to over dry but the trade off is you have to be diligent about airing them to prevent mold.
                    The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
                    Water Curing Experiment
                    My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

• Obi-Wan
                      Obi-Wan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I totally agree, whatever the process, the important thing is to get to 60-62% and keep them there.

Damn 75percent sucks man I hate looseing the weight I already do lol it sucks so bad how much u loose once its dry lol

Comment

• Obi-Wan
                      Obi-Wan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      75-80% is generally considered normal, you are definitely doing better than most.

• GanjaGed
                      GanjaGed commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is dry, 60-64 RH, 62 being the target but I don't use packs.

My question was going to be how wet are you leaving your buds, lol.

I get my buds around 62-65ish I use b62 packs as soon as they go into jars. After im not cureing my stuff sits in jars for 4weeks at a time and never get mold. I also use small rh meters in my jars

Comment

one thing I noticed was if you drop humidity around 20ish the last 3 or 4weeks of flower. Then it seems to tighen buds a bit and for some reason I started looseing less weight come harvest.

Comment

These buds where dryed and cured in 3weeks now the jars are packed a bit more for storeage lol

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X