Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First DWC system, help?

Hey guys,

I'm planning a dwc system and I'm in doubt about some stuff after checking a couple videos on youtube.

A tube for checking the water level won't make light get through the roots?

Is it true that spraying soda water on the leaves to raise CO2 levels is a good idea?

Thank you guys!
    ​​​​​

Hi danbwc. A water level check valve should not light in. You want to use blue tubing and you could even cap it off if you want to prevent any light from the top. The elbow will block out the rest. I am making a reservoir with one but using a bulkhead for mine to make sure no light comes in! Here is what I bought, but it's very large: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the soda water question, I could not tell you yay or nay on that. I hope someone will come along and be able to but in the mean time, best of luck with everything! You are in the right place for help!
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

Thanks for your reply! With blue tube you mean really blue or any dark colour like grey or black?

Comment

On my reservoir, I found it simple to use a silver Sharpie marker to draw water level lines inside my tub (3-gallons, 4-gallons, 5-gallons, etc.). All I have to do is glance at the water level inside the tub when doing PH checks. Easy peasy..

Comment

Nice man! That's a good idea as well. How do you guys change the reservoir? Manually? Water Pump? I'm trying to find a good/easy way to do it without harming the ladies.

Comment

• ellz
          ellz commented
          Editing a comment
          I am currently using a portable external water pump to drain my reservoirs. Specifically this one: https://www.amazon.com/SumpMarine-11...rds=sumpmarine
          This is a bit cumbersome however so I will be building a self-drain feature into my next reservoir. The water pump I use now has a triangle suction adapter so it goes into the corner of my tote fairly easily but I have to usually move roots around to ensure they don't get sucked up. Also, you have to constantly open the lid to your reservoir exposing the roots to light. With a built in drain you don't have to do that. As for filling it, I am also adding a fill port to my next reservoir to add water and nutrients without having to take the lid off. The opening is large enough to fit my hand in if needed and I can also check on the roots with it. My current reservoir has to have the lid take off and turned a bit to make enough of an opening to fill them and usually the plants are in the way. They weren't at first but now that they are bigger they make it a pain to change the water. Also, when you open the lid you have to worry about the net pots tipping unless you secure them down somehow. I would suggest screws with washers to hold them down for that.

• JohnC
          JohnC commented
          Editing a comment
          I put two "service ports" in the lid of my tub to make it easy to peek inside, check PH, etc. It's also how I pump water out of the reservoir and pump new water in.

I use this easy battery-operated pump here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just stick the powered end in the receptacle to be drained, the flexible hose where you want the water to go, and flip the switch. Easy peasy.

But guys, I read somewhere that these 10min of fresh air you give the roots by removing the lid is good for the plant. Don't you think it matters? And also, you don't clean the reservoir every time you change the water?

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

I run a cobbled together RDWC system-8 buckets tied to a central return to a 18 gal rez and then a pond pump to circulate to each bucket. I use a small pond pump to empty my system-works great and I do vacuum out any debris from the buckets and rez. It uses a simple stand system to provide enough height difference to provide drainage to rez-keep it simple and you'll be golden,
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Hey there so with the soda I haven't heard of it before but I personally wouldn't do it cause of all the chemicals in soda but if someone was to use carbonated water could see it working but would have to test and play with it. Now for the reservoir I just made two hole in the lid and have one with the plant and the other with a empty net pot and keep the water just under the net pot and used a dark tub a wear lid to cover the hole. I personally just drain the reservoir with a hose and gravity drain it and i clean mine ever 2-3 weeks depending on how much build up I get in the reservoir.

Hope this helps

Comment

Helps a lot guys, thanks for everything, soon I'll be posting some pics of the whole system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X