Moving plants back and forth between sun and indoor lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving plants back and forth between sun and indoor lights

DrPhoton made an interesting point about moving plants from under lights to under the sun and back. I have been doing this a week or two. Outdoor during the day and indoor under lights at night. His point was it too stressful for the plant because of the biology of the leaf. Now that makes a logical point I didn't think about.
    The leaf structure gears up to accommodate all that comes at it from the sun. But then has to work to absorb what comes off of the lights.(?) Very rudimentary explanation but does that sum it up? Kinda,sorta?

I would run them under lights 20/4 but I'm flowering photos right now so have to wait a couple more weeks (been sayin that for a few weeks lol).
    I hoped that putting them outside, I could take up the slack that 12 hours of light was leaving. I should decide to leave them outside or cut my yield and let em ride in the 12/12 until the photos are cut? Then bump the lights to 20/4?
    ANY thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance for your input.
    ​​​​​​​Cheers Californiakid
    "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

hey cali we are getting to a point where everything outside is going into bloom anyways I veg my stuff under t5s growershouse.com you can get what you want and I haven't found cheaper prices I would hang the light outside your room and put them there until your bloom room is done
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Californiakid
      Californiakid commented
      Editing a comment
      oldjarhead100 Thanks for the tip on growershouse. I hadn't heard of it before. You're right, great prices! I have a local grow shop with very low mark up. But they only purchase from their vendors so some items are priced higher even though they aren't profiting much. I like to support my local economy but if I can afford to make my purchase online where I couldn't swing it locally, no brainer.
      Cheers Californiakid

Im not sure if short term shifts would be as impacting as long term. Here is the structure difference for weak and strong light.

As you can see, the chloroplast structure adapts. How fast it can do this though i am not sure, read on this i will.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

I could not come up with any conclusive answers. There are multiple differences between sun and shade leafs, such as stomata structure, chloroplast size, cuticle thickness etc. With comparing indoor and outdoor, you can consider the two to develop differences akin to sun and shade leafs on a plant. Its hard to know if the plant will structure its leaves more for one or the other.
      Its very possible that a plant could be fine going outdoors then indoors daily, they do have to adapt constantly to varying light levels so its nothing new.
      However long term shifts will require some adaptation as the plant recognises it needs to restructure to continue its required level of performance.

Peace out.
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

DrPhoton great information! Thank You.
        Cheers Californiakid
        "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X