Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$30 heat solution for small grow space

Hey all,
    I was recently having some problems controlling heat in my small DWC grow box (18w x 13d x 48h) with a 300watt led. It's only a 6quart reservoir and my temp in the box was getting as high as 90F putting the res at 77F which I believe was making it very difficult for my roots to get oxygen and causing my plant to droop terribly. Where it was such a small system I didn't want to invest in chillers used in larger setups. So, I gave this a shot and it has worked wonders. It's brought my grow box temp down to 78F and my res temp down to 68F. So I'm going to give it a few day and see if she makes a turn around. All the materials cost me $30.
    Current grow:
    Strains: White Walker Kush Fem from DNA Genetics and Blue Afghan X Sour Diesel Fem from Stranger Seeds​​​

Medium: Kind Soil topped with Ocean Forest in 3.9gal autopots with a 12gal reservoir

Light: Horticulture Lighting Group HLG600H

Nutes: Plain PHd water

Area: 20in D x 36in W x 60in H Tent, 4" inline exhaust, 4" inline intake, and 6" circulation fan.

Methods: topping, LST, defoliation.

Germination: Dropped right in the soil

Howdy Agentbuckworld3. Looks like a plan to me! Have You thought of supplementing the cold packs with a couple of small chunks of dry ice? The dry ice is colder than ice packs and the CO2 addition could not hurt, also does that set up have an air pump to aerate the reservoir?
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Agentbuckwold3
      Agentbuckwold3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am very unfamiliar with handling dry ice. We also only have one distributor around us that sells it and it's kind of pricey. How often would I have to change it out?

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      With out the fan, it could last for days (depending on the initial amount used, etc.). I place the leftover dry ice (from making hash) at the top of my grow closet in a Styrofoam cooler, it takes days for the ice to completely sublimate, the CO2 gas escapes out of the seam at the lid of the cooler. Around here the dry ice is available for $1.75 to $2.00 per pound. If you are un comfortable handling it, then don't. At -109° F it can cause a nasty 'freeze' burn to the bare skin. I bought a pair of insulated cryogenic gloves, but just a pair of weather proof work gloves will do as well and are less expensive. A pair of BBQ mitts would work also.

• Agentbuckwold3
      Agentbuckwold3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info as always DW2. I'm going to give the ice packs a few days and see if they work out. If I need something more aggressive I'll give the dry ice a shot.

What is that A3 ??
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Just a styrofoam cooler and 2 extra large ice packs. I've added 6 more ice packs since the pic. 4" vinyl duct run directly to the intake fan. I also replaced the white 6" fan with a more powerful 9" fan to help push more air. I do have an air pump with one airstone but I ordered another air pump with 2 outlets and air stones to try and get more oxygen to the roots.
      Current grow:
      Strains: White Walker Kush Fem from DNA Genetics and Blue Afghan X Sour Diesel Fem from Stranger Seeds​​​

Medium: Kind Soil topped with Ocean Forest in 3.9gal autopots with a 12gal reservoir

Light: Horticulture Lighting Group HLG600H

Nutes: Plain PHd water

Area: 20in D x 36in W x 60in H Tent, 4" inline exhaust, 4" inline intake, and 6" circulation fan.

Methods: topping, LST, defoliation.

Germination: Dropped right in the soil

Comment

Thanks man, sounds like it's doing a nice job.
        Cfls for a week or two
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

• Agentbuckwold3
          Agentbuckwold3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, it's been a battle with this first grow. I regret starting with DWC but I'm learning plenty on the fly. Hopefully she will start to turn around soon.

Yeah A3 , I hear you, that's why I grow in supersoil cause I ain't smart enough to do all of that other stuff even though it's fun doing it.But I do know how to use only water, that's easy. Haha
        Cfls for a week or two
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

• Aloner
          Aloner commented
          Editing a comment
          It's more the added cost than anything else. Why shell out for an entire DWC setup (rez, nutes and supplements, air pumps, water pumps, etc), when I already have the basics for soil growing? I'll still need a tent, fans, filter, and light(s) but that's it. And some fresh soil, of course!

• Agentbuckwold3
          Agentbuckwold3 commented
          Editing a comment
          I completely understand and I don't blame you. I saved for months before I bought my grow box which included the res, light, pumps, and all that together. But, I just ordered a better pump, lines, and 2 stones for my set up for like $15. And the res you can make yourself very cheap. Actually I am pretty sure there is a tutorial on GWE that shows you how to build everything on the cheap. But, right now at this very moment I agree that soil sounds much much easier lol, with a lot less setup and monitoring.

• abadtrip
          abadtrip commented
          Editing a comment
          I built my own system I can leave for 7 days with out human hands and even then it takes about 10 min to do the change. I wish I know what I know now then I could of done the whole thing for 150 but I did it all twice because I am an idot

I did a water probe ice chiller it's made for aquariums my 5-gallon dwc Reservoir stays 66 68 degrees room temp varies from 74 to 80 I paid about $140 for this one I've seen them on eBay for 119 works great. If you're interested search ice probe on this site I did a little bit on it good luck ☮️

Comment

• Agentbuckwold3
          Agentbuckwold3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Man that's intense. It may be a little much for my system. I'm way more small scale than your setup. But, if I decide to go bigger I'll for sure look farther into that. Thanks good luck on your grows.

• abadtrip
          abadtrip commented
          Editing a comment
          I am going to add an ice probe to my main res next spring I don't really have a problem with heat where I live my res is outside my tent I pump 160 gph in a 10 gal system so heat is only really a problem right now and it's not a big deal. It's 86 out today and it's 75 on the porch in the shade. I do want it just so I can control the last element of the system. Also is that insulated Mylar around your res where did u get it

I love stoners if the world ends we will be fine. I love how we get labeled as wasters but yet we can problem solve with the best.
        It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

• Agentbuckwold3
          Agentbuckwold3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Right! Anything in the pursuit of better green.

Something else I failed to mention I didn't have to adjust the pH one time which for me is very unusual I left the first bucket go almost 2 weeks it only got to 6.32, I'm using cyco nutrients but I don't think that's what stopped the pH from rising I think it was the cold water. And she just showed her first roots bright white , hoping they stay healthy. For even cheaper cooling, I did a short thread on a Peltier cooler it actually cooled better than the ice Probe, I think you could do one Peltier cooler with a power supply for under $50 perfect for a 10 gallon Reservoir.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X