Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sammy
    replied
    Something else I failed to mention I didn't have to adjust the pH one time which for me is very unusual I left the first bucket go almost 2 weeks it only got to 6.32, I'm using cyco nutrients but I don't think that's what stopped the pH from rising I think it was the cold water. And she just showed her first roots bright white , hoping they stay healthy. For even cheaper cooling, I did a short thread on a Peltier cooler it actually cooled better than the ice Probe, I think you could do one Peltier cooler with a power supply for under $50 perfect for a 10 gallon Reservoir.

Leave a comment:

• Agentbuckwold3
    commented on 's reply
    Right! Anything in the pursuit of better green.

• abadtrip
    commented on 's reply
    I built my own system I can leave for 7 days with out human hands and even then it takes about 10 min to do the change. I wish I know what I know now then I could of done the whole thing for 150 but I did it all twice because I am an idot

• Agentbuckwold3
    commented on 's reply
    I completely understand and I don't blame you. I saved for months before I bought my grow box which included the res, light, pumps, and all that together. But, I just ordered a better pump, lines, and 2 stones for my set up for like $15. And the res you can make yourself very cheap. Actually I am pretty sure there is a tutorial on GWE that shows you how to build everything on the cheap. But, right now at this very moment I agree that soil sounds much much easier lol, with a lot less setup and monitoring.

• abadtrip
    commented on 's reply
    I am going to add an ice probe to my main res next spring I don't really have a problem with heat where I live my res is outside my tent I pump 160 gph in a 10 gal system so heat is only really a problem right now and it's not a big deal. It's 86 out today and it's 75 on the porch in the shade. I do want it just so I can control the last element of the system. Also is that insulated Mylar around your res where did u get it

• abadtrip
    replied
    I love stoners if the world ends we will be fine. I love how we get labeled as wasters but yet we can problem solve with the best.

Leave a comment:

• Aloner
    commented on 's reply
    It's more the added cost than anything else. Why shell out for an entire DWC setup (rez, nutes and supplements, air pumps, water pumps, etc), when I already have the basics for soil growing? I'll still need a tent, fans, filter, and light(s) but that's it. And some fresh soil, of course!

• Agentbuckwold3
    commented on 's reply
    Don't let my DWC problems discourage you. I think my problems aren't from all the tedious measuring and keeping track of PH and ppm (which I monitor twice a day). I think this premade grow box I ordered, as convenient as it is, has major problems as far as temperature control. Even using an LED, it gets sooooo hot in the box. Hopefully my little makeshift a/c unit will solve this problem and she will start looking better.

• Aloner
    commented on 's reply
    Hell, I'm in a friendly state and I don't really feel like I can talk about it! Other folks at work can talk about going to whiskey tastings or how they home brew beer but I have to keep quiet about this interesting new hobby of mine. (I'm only slightly bitter lol.)

I was considering switching to DWC when I move indoors after this grow but I decided yesterday to stick with Kind Soil, at least for the time being. It's just too easy! Maybe after I've mastered the art of the manifold and got my light setup just so.

• Agentbuckwold3
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I thought. I remember reading the Kind soil is hot. I've got all the materials bookmarked for a full organic grow so if I can't save this poor girl in the DWC I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. You know how much it sucks when you're growing and all you want to do is talk about it but you can't when you're in an unfriendly state.

• Aloner
    commented on 's reply
    The Kind Soil goes in the bottom of the pot, then you fill it the rest or the way with coco/potting soil (they recommend either Roots Organic or Coco Loco). I had mine in only Roots Organic for the first three weeks or so, until I transplanted them into their final 5 gal. pots. Kind Soil would be way too "hot" for seedlings, and in my (limited) experience, the potting soil had plenty of nutes in it to support them through their early weeks. (All my of early problems were due to not pH'ing the water, and using too-weak lights at the start, both of which were corrected while the girls were still seedlings. They're flourishing now, 2 months in.)

• Agentbuckwold3
    commented on 's reply
    That's great to know because I was very close to buying some Kind soil. Did you guys germ right in the soil or wait for the seedling to get going and transplant?

• Aloner
    commented on 's reply
    I'm using Kind Soil same as him, and yeah, it really is that easy! Which is good because I've made a number of missteps along the way (nothing serious, fortunately). I've only had to deal with external stuff like making sure the water is pH'd correctly, giving enough water but not too much, watching out for bugs, and trying to avoid any heat stress. And if I was growing inside, it would pretty much ONLY be dealing with the water!

• Agentbuckwold3
    commented on 's reply
    Man that's intense. It may be a little much for my system. I'm way more small scale than your setup. But, if I decide to go bigger I'll for sure look farther into that. Thanks good luck on your grows.

• Agentbuckwold3
    commented on 's reply
    Is it really as easy as buying/making your super soil, planting, and just watering? GWE made it sound so easy and I should have started with that, but I like tinkering with stuff.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X