Is it ok to reduce 600w to 500w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok to reduce 600w to 500w?

Hey all! So I'm not super smart apparently since I just realized that my tent is not 4' x 4' as I thought I bought; it is actually 3' x 3'. I've been trying to grow 4 very bushy plants in there and now I see why I've been struggling. I removed the tallest plant 3 days into flowering since it was obvious it was going to run into the lights. I think one plant is showing signs of heat stress (yellow tips). I've been running the lights at 600w and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to lower the wattage to 500. Thanks for your help!
    Started 1st grow 4/28/17
    3x3 Apollo tent
    600w MH/HPS
    Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil
    Fox Farm nutes
    White Widow x 2 and Papaya x 2

I reduced mine from 600 to 400 watts

Comment

No room up to move the lights away instead of reducing intensity?
      x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

I reduced my light watts from 600 watts down to 400 with good results see here-- http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...the-experement

Comment

Just going with the theory of light being food for plants. I added 2 lec315 to my set up and tripled my yield. But not being inside his grow my knowledge stops here.
          the yellow tips look like too much N. flush real good, bring balance back in that ph. Heat stress looks different. Your leaves look like they're loving the amount of light!
          x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

LuckyAcres
            ​Thanks for your input! I'm out of head room so moving the light up wasn't an option. I took the tallest plant out (it was easily over 30" tall) and lowered the ballast to 500w. So far so good.

As for the yellow tips...I have no idea what's going on. I attached another picture of the lower leaves of that same yellow-tipped lady. The lower leaves are yellow/brown and falling off if left alone. This looks like N deficiency to me, but I'm not sure. I increased their nutrients last week since I was still at 50% of recommended dose. Now I'm at 75% and except for the stubborn yellowing they seem to be doing pretty well. I know they're due for a haircut...I'm so embarrassed 😳 πŸ˜‰

I flushed about a month ago (with plain distilled water ph'd to 6.5) because I was using pretty hard tap water and it seemed like it was messing with my ph. I had what looked like calcium deposits on the outside of the fabric pots and lots of white buildup on the inside of the tent.

The run off ph is consistently low (5.5-5.9) on days I use plain ph'd water. I've heard the FF nutes I'm using are on the acidic side, so I ph the plain water to around 7. I up the ph of nute water to 6.5-7.0. Any advice in this area would be nice. I think the yellowing is still spreading, but it seems to have slowed. I'm cautious to trim too many fan leaves off in case the problem continues to advance up the plant.

I knew switching to 12/12 with yellowing was not advised, but I'm seriously limited in height. I'm still using the mh bulb because I read that it helps limit flowering stretch. Sorry this has run on. I appreciate any ideas you guys have!
            Started 1st grow 4/28/17
            3x3 Apollo tent
            600w MH/HPS
            Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil
            Fox Farm nutes
            White Widow x 2 and Papaya x 2

Comment

• LuckyAcres
              LuckyAcres commented
              Editing a comment
              Heavily medicated so apology for anything that might happen here!!! πŸ€“πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜œπŸ’¨πŸ’¨I'd bring that ph down to around 6 at all times. The curling tells me that. Flushing will deal with the N burn and yellow tips. AN is heavy on salts so flushing is vital every 2 nutes days. Lights, it's up to you but the more they get the bigger the buds. There's no way around that math.

As long as ur ballast can lower to 500w than its fine just do not run a manual switch from the power cord this will not work I have tryed and u have to rewire ur ballast to make this work and if ur not gd at electricity do not atempt this lol I use 1000w ballasts and I can lower them to 500 750 or 1000watts and it's perfectly fine. In flower u want as much light as u can get I use a 1000w hps and 2 led panels 200w 350w in a 4x4x6 high space. And works amazing with 1500ppm co2 lights are all at 10inchs from plants but I also use an ac to keep temps at 75ish

Comment

P.s in my opinion that's not light burn because it doesn't really effect the top leaves it looks more like nutrient burn lower ur nutes about 200-300ppm and u should be fine

Comment

Ruby I purchased a light meter and what a difference it has made in Nebulas tutorial it states that anything above 85,000 lux can't be used by the plant so its a waste, now as far as plant heights have you tried bending those stems rub them between two fingers until the stem is soft and pliable and they should fold over ,if you end up snapping a stem as long as its not snapped off you will be ok the plants will recover
                new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
                current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Hello Ruby , I go along with OJH try to bend them down some , and I'm with Lucky Acres on the lights more lights equals bigger buds even if just 100 watts. Good Luck, I hope you get it worked out.
                  Cfls for a week or two
                  315lec for everything else
                  Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                  36x36x63 inch tent.
                  6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                  Smart pots
                  Molasses
                  Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X