Very low yields dry. *sad*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very low yields dry. *sad*

So, I decided I wanted to try this growing thing and now it's become an obsession because apparently I'm terrible at it.

my setup is is as follows:

Small 24x24x48 tent
    4" 200cfm carbon filter exhaust
    4" passive intake
    400w Mars Hydro LED
    600w Mars Hydro LED

I started last year with CFL's, no tent, etc and it's grown from there. Even with all this equipment I think my yields are garbage. For example, I recently finished a BlueBurry Kush Auto flower grow in a 2gallon fabric pot in FF Ocean Forest using FF trio nutes and spend the entire time chasing PH (tap water comes out at 8+) and confused on what/when to feed. Results after months of 18/6 light was a 3' plant yielding... (wait for it) 6grams dry weight... (ok, you can laugh now).

I'm so disappointed! Fortunately I only grow for personal consumption and only consume before bed to relax and sleep, so this I dont have the NEED or desire to grow 10 pounds per plant but I've become frustrated with the results I have so far. I have four non-auto northern Lights currently in flowering which are all massively discolored and obviously suffering, so much so I'm embarrassed to post a photo. I think it's time to run these through and start again from scratch. I've spent a year reading & trying and I don't take failure well... a 6gram yield feels exactly that... fail.

i await your emotional support, as I think I've learned the first rule of cannabis growing.... this is harder then it appears online!

It is very disheartening to put that much effort into it: there is a learning curve and you have found the right website to get useful information for all types of grows.

My crops failed for the first 6 months= no yield.
    LED growing is somewhat difficult, if you listen to the internet wisedom which generally are talking about 1000w HID lights and can not be applied to LED's!

My observation from your set up is:
    the largest LED I would place in your tent would be the 400w MarsHydro. at the greatest distance for the plants stage ie veg 18"-24" use 24"
    (optional)-The fan could be dialed down to about 120cfm and lights up to 20/4 with auto's.
    I would have the lights off during the day- to keep the temperature spead (lights on & off) down.
    Auto's require very little nutrients-and it's easy to overdose using the manufacturer's dose schedule.

Get the grow environment right and they will grow!

Use the GWE guidelines on the wedsite-searchable- and bring us you sick plants: http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...plant-problems

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Sonnyhad
      Sonnyhad commented
      Editing a comment
      I would add that 48" is not enough height to grow much of a plant when you consider the distance for the light, pot, and hanging mechanism.

Adept1 Welcome to the forum, and don't despair!! I was just writing in another post earlier today that I think most of us cannabis growers are perfectionistic, so it's hard not to beat ourselves up when things don't go right in the grow room. Be patient with yourself AND with your plants. Keep reading, keep studying. I made myself a notebook with the following sections: Germination, Vegetation, Flowering, Flush, Harvest, Dry and Cure, Temp, Light & Humidity, LST & Defoliation, Trichomes, etc. And that's where I journal each one of my grows so I can go back over them and review what went right and what didn't.

I am a teacher, and I try to get my students to understand this concept: before you can juggle 4 balls, you have to be able to juggle 2; and before you can juggle 5, learn to juggle three, etc. To me, growing cannabis is totally like that. When you look at the massive amount of information on GWE, it's like we're getting 25 or 30 balls thrown at us and told to juggle them.

It's overwhelming at first, but little by little, the information starts knitting together to form a pattern. Your mind grasps all the different elements that have to knit together for a successful grow, and your plants will do better. The irony of GrowWeedEasy is that people who want to learn to do this right, who can study and organize all that information will end up Growing Weed Easy. Once you've learned what you need to know, it's like riding a bicycle and juggling 12 balls: you never forget what you learned.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Like Pharma said I think the 400 is plenty in that size. And also about the height, LED's are a very different beast than other styles. One thing that worked for me was to start with the light at the farthest recommended by the MFG, then let the plant's grow to the light until you see the start of light stress, then you can just maintain a slightly larger gap the rest of the way through that phase.

Also I recommend this for people in your situation, lots of study, little/no experience, I was and still am, though less now, in that same position. It isn't the "master plan" or some secret stuff. The guy goes through and literally builds a grow room and goes all the way through harvest. He does it all very minimalistic just the needed basics, but at least for me it helped all the info I had fall into place watching it. If you do watch, try to catch his mistakes, for example he uses what looks like the main bottle of rooting hormone for his clones, which is generally frowned upon. Catching those helps with confidence.

You'll get it turned around, lots of solid people here willing to spread the love

The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
      Water Curing Experiment
      My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

Hey Adept1. You just got 2 great tips from Alltatup and Weed Pharma you would do well to follow their advice to save a few headaches. I'm sure someone will be on here later saying to put your lights 5 or 6 inches away and keep them there the whole time but don't listen to that. I'm no expert but don't over or under water your plants, over watering is mostly the problem. Follow Alltatups and Weed Pharmas advice and you will do well. Good Luck. P.S. G anjaGeds to his went up before mine
        Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 07-08-2017, 01:59 PM.
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

I purchased the 600w after my very first attempt was also low yielding and thought "more light can only help, right?" So, to burn 800w of LED light on a plant and yield only 6grams, obviously light wasn't my issue!

After my current tent is empty I'm going to start another grow with a single plant under the 400w with detailed grow log, I've got everything I need except the skill & experience required.

Thanks guys!

Comment

What was the true watts of those leds the wattage isn't the true watts. Leds produce an average of 0.5grams per true watt. What was ur ligh shed? Nutes?

Comment

Hello Adept1, I have always grown outdoors, the one I'm growing now is my first indoors I'm using a cheap 89 buck GH300 watt 160 watts at the wall plus I have never grown indoors and I'm expecting over 3 ozs, she will be harvested any day now probably could have already but I'm gonna miss her and don't really want to harvest her , but I will cause I've got a DrKripp that's54 days old to take her place.Just saying that 400 light you've got will do a good job. Good Luck1
              Cfls for a week or two
              36x36x63 inch tent.
              Smart pots
              Molasses
              Autoflowers

Comment

Also where u suplimenting with co2? Co2 at 1500ppm will increase ur yield by about 20percent as well. If your growing a small amount of plants I recomend mixing 1tbsp yeast 1/2cup white sugar and water in a bottle shake and attach a small hose into the bottle and run that hose to the top of ur plant. This method is only good for 2 or 3plants as u have to refill the bottles each week. If u want mainess free I sugest the exhale co2 bags I use them and they work great for 9months they cost about 40bucks. They increase a 4x4x8 space 500ppms. If ur a new grower co2 will really help you prevent heat and light stress and will increase yields at the same time. Any form of co2 will help. Also figure out what ur par value is and use that to find ur true par 60x60=3600 (seconds per hour) multiply by number of hours light is on. 3600x18h=64800 multiply by par (example 1525par Mars hydro 600w) 64800x1525=98820000 devide into 1000000= 98.82 moles of light. side note leds are like lazers there light is only useable in a straight line so u need to messure ur led panel (example 12inchsx12inchs) now that 98par is only good for that 1' square not meter square like the sun is calculated. The sun is a average max of 60moles per sqr meter 3'x3' roughly so that's all things to take into acount as well

Comment

Adept1 sounds like you have simple PH problems that are easy to fix with either meter or drops. It's really not that hard to grow ,if it was hard I sure couldn't do it that's for sure , Keep it Simple
                  Cfls for a week or two
                  36x36x63 inch tent.
                  Smart pots
                  Molasses
                  Autoflowers

Comment

To answer questions above:

i double checked and my mars is 300w (132watt true) and 600w (265watt true) and I currently have them both in the tent, I will move to a single light scenero on my next grow.

i did not, nor do I think I'm ready too, mess around with CO2. Think I have far too many fundamentals to master before messing with CO2.

as far as PH, I can resoundingly say yes. PH is a huge issue for me. I have a Milwaukee MW102 which I think had a faulty/damaged probe, I've recently ordered a new prob and will be checking ph before watering and run-off.

Comment

There's not much to co2 and it would honestly help but that's up2 u but it will greatly increase yeilds just buy adding the exhale bag to ur room and leave hang and that's all lol but do what works for ya

Comment

Adept1 I've got a couple of those two if you get a good one they work fine but they are bad about getting out of calibration. Lots of people on here use the strips you can get places where they sell aquariums ,they work fine and are also simple to use ,I use them to check my meters when something doesn't look right. Read Nebulas article on co2 and you will see you don't need it. All you want to do is grow enough pot ,like me to get by without having to buy it.You don't need any more headaches. I haven't bought pot in many years and don't plan on starting buying again anytime soon either. Just keep doing your research on GWE and asking questions anytime you want to ,this is an awesome site and the people here will be glad to help you anytime you need help. P.S. the pot you grow from good seeds is 10 times better than that sh-t they try to peddle on the streets too. Good Luck1
                        Cfls for a week or two
                        36x36x63 inch tent.
                        Smart pots
                        Molasses
                        Autoflowers

Comment

Adept1

They say misery loves company. So, welcome to my world. I too read a ton before setting out to do this. I too am looking at a pretty bleak first harvest coming up soon. So much preparation, time and cash and so little to show for it. It's hard not to be dejected. But, I think/hope I have been able to figure out my mistakes.

My latest attempt is looking much more promising. Although there is a long way to go as it is only just about to transition to flowering. Try to keep your spirits up.

Gears
                          Do something nice for a stranger today!

Comment

• alltatup
                            alltatup commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Chin up, Gears It's gonna get a lot easier. It's a hella process learning to do this right.

• Gears
                            Gears commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think I have a handle on it now alltatup My month old N. Lights is looking pretty promising and I have a Blue Mystic that's just a few days old I'm hoping will benefit from past mistakes and what I've been taught here on GWE

Adept1, hang in there buddy. As others have said keep at it. I have planted bag seeds in crap dirt, tap water, and was amazed at what turned out with little effort. Fast forward a decade or so...and decide I'm going to do it right. Bought some seeds...and a bunch of goodies to make them grow. But when we over complicate things they seem to go awry.
                          So my point is...I simplified things (the way it's lined out in gwe), and am back on track. Keep at it and you will too. There's a great group of folks here ready to help. Cheers
                          "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X