Is it too late for coco coir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it too late for coco coir?

Hello everyone. Think I may know the answer to this question, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Staring my 2 grow. Started my girls in solo cups with fox farm happy frog and extra perlite. That have popped and doing well. However I have change of heart and would like to switch from soil to coco coir as my grow medium. I'm aware that I need to switch my nutrients and use a cal-mag and possibly other supplements. However. Would it be ok to transplant into Coco Coir to continue my grow? Is it to late to switch? Would the switch to Coco Coir with some soil around the base mess up how micro organisms break down nutes? What effect could this have in my root absorption? Thank you all.
    5.5x8.5x7. 600w mh/hps. 440fan/carbon filter.
    FF soil/course perlite @25%. FF trio big bloom, grow, tiger bloom. PH w/ nutes@6.5.
    Four Green Crack fem. 7 gallon fiber pots.
    1 PKAF. 1 BCF. In 3 gallon fiber pots.
    Sowed 3-27-17. 12/12 light 5-7-17.
    Harvest PKAF 5-30-17 @ 43 grams
    Harvest one of four GC 7-9-17. Weight at time unknown. Will follow.

It's not too late since you're using solo cups to start. Just transplant asap. I've transplanted like this on my last grow and it did great. Just be careful not to tear your roots and you'll have a speedy recovery. Now all I use is coco, it's alot easier to manage than soil. Happy growing my friend

Comment

Thank you Lotusyde, I was concerned it may affect the roots. I plan on transplanting to fiber two gallons then later to fiber 7 gallons. First grow was FF soil and all went well, now I want to try Coco Coir and see how that grows. Thank you for your wisdom. Garçon 🍁
      FF soil/course perlite @25%. FF trio big bloom, grow, tiger bloom. PH w/ nutes@6.5.

Comment

good luck with the transplant. Remember coco needs a different pH than soil.
        Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
        600W HPS
        Coco
        GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
        Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• Lotusyde
          Lotusyde commented
          Editing a comment
          Luckily he's doing the switch early. pH isn't such a critical factor this early to where transplant will be an issue. Just my opinion

I transplanted my first grow from a soil solo cup straight into a coco/perlite mix, it was a great grow with no issues! Keep it growing! Peace
        Perpetual setup!

Comment

You'll be fine_ just go with what the folks above suggested. Switching to coco now is fine. My only suggestion is that you go all the way with the coco/perlite- something like a 60/40 or 50/50 mix. Coco holds the moisture and drains pretty fast once the fibers have absorbed the water. Perlite provides good drainage and air. My first grow I used a mix of 25% fox farm, 25% perlite and 50% coco. It made it very difficult to adjust the PH, a real PITA. The next time I went with 50/50 coco/perlite. Used only the coco nutrients. Worked very well. Much easier to keep the nutrient levels in the right zone with just the coco and perlite since there is really no nutrient base to start with or mix things up. Use the "lift the pot" method to decide when to water next, using smart pots.
          Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
          liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Thank you NA420 and Zig Zag. I'm aware of lower PH levels and I will be using proper nutrients as well. Perlite will be @ 30/40%. Made sure I have the cal-mag as well. Thank you all for your help. 🍁

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X