Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-using Coco?

Hi all,
    Whats the opinion on reusing coco for 2nd and 3rd grows?

From what i've read some say its better!
    Some say it causes issues?

I had an initial fungus gnat problem which seems to have gone now, they never bother me too much and seem to strike no matter what i do, even though its indoors and I sterilised everything!! I think its the CannaCoco to be honest...

should I flush the pre-used coco before re-using? Leave it as it is or just chuck away and start fresh?

thanks all,
    Deezy

hey Deezy I reuse my coco all the time and yes I pre rinse it to remove any left over nutes. I only use new when Im transplanting seedlings or clones into it for the first time. when I'm transplanting into the final 5 gallon pot its into the recycled they go. My thoughts are that its a grow medium,it does not contain any nutrients at all so why not reuse it
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Yeh that makes total sense... so just fill a bucket with the coco leave it in PH'd + calmagic water over night then drain it off and go again? Will that work? Just store it in a sealed trash can?

Comment

I'm with oldjarhead, I re-use my coco on a rolling basis, mixing recycled coir/perlite into fresh coir mix. The only rinsing I do is the flush week I do at the end of each plant's lifecycle. I sift out old root matter by hand and use cannazym which supposedly helps the breakdown of old plant matter.
        Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          cannazym???? is this part of the canna line, has it worked to help break down the root system. I still find root balls from 2 years ago in the compost pile ,I stopped putting them in the compost cause they just don't break down have to try it thanks Beach

• Beach_Town_Brit
          Beach_Town_Brit commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Jarhead, yeah part of the Canna line. It's an enzyme product specifically for breaking down dead root matter and turning into sugars and micro nutrients. It also purportedly avoids the development of root rot and mold that could develop on dead root matter.

Does it do what it says on the box? I've never done a side by side so it's hard for me to say. I can say I've never had any root zone issues in the 2+ years I've been using it.

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks Beach I'll give it a try

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X