Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does silica let you keep your lights closer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does silica let you keep your lights closer?

I am currently growing the same two strains as my last grow but it seems I can keep the 600w HPS much closer to the buds without curling or burn than the last grow. (The bulb was new at the beginning of the last grow which was half T5 and half HPS) but I imagine it may just be the light is older. There may be other minor differences in the grow (Fabric pots, humidity) but I also started using silica this grow. Would it make sense that that is allowing the lights to be closer (and possibly increase yields)? I only added silica because this grow will take me through the hot summer months but if it helps keep the lamp closer (and therefor allow greater penetration to bud sites) then I will keep adding ArmorSi to my future grows.

Don't know about light distance ,but used to use it outdoors all the time in hot humid Mississippi delta and I am sure it helped massively to grow some beastly plants .
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Howdy Newf, From what I have read in the past, the silica is used in the physical structure of the plant, not saying that it may or may not help with plants ability to deal with higher temperatures. Carbon dioxide is supposed to make the plant deal with the higher temperatures though I have never used any CO2 enhancement in my grow room.. I use CFLs and have only had leaf burn when the leaves are in actual contact with the bulbs.
      Good luck with Your grow.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• tyler_ hobbyist
        tyler_ hobbyist commented
        Editing a comment
        Co2 at 1000extra ppm above normal air would be 1300-1400ppm works wounders!!!! Growth is a lot more and also light/heat stress is a lot less of an issue. I highly recomend either the water sugar yeast method or I also highly recomend the exhale co2 bag for a 4x4x8 space 1 bag increases the ppm by 500. Each bag cost about 40bucks and is good for 9months

Silica pretty much helps everything heat.insects it helps the plant in so many different ways. It's good stuff.
      Cfls for a week or two
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Silica does a lot for the plant, it helps defend it against insects by making it tougher for pests and things to get past the cell wall, it makes the trichomes stronger so they are less likely to burst and can help them plump up, it helps with heat stress too so yes you should be able to move your lights closer without burning your plants. Yucca Root and Kelp also can help a plant against heat stress too, and so I do all three in combination together myself and my plants have been able to tolerate temp swings which I've watched kill off other people's plants outside. Oh silica also helps prevent molds as well, because again the mold can't penetrate the cell wall of the plant to feed before it dies. If you really want to learn about the nutrients and what all they can do in a way that I swear I think everyone can understand check out Harley Smith on YouTube:

Harley Smith Seminar - Full Nutrient Break-Down (Part 1 of 2)
        In this seminar, Harley Smith, plant nutrient researcher for RAW nutrients, and co-creator of Ionic Mother Plant and Clonex, breaks down individual nutrients...

Harley Smith Seminar - Full Nutrient Break-Down (Part 2 of 2)
        In this seminar, Harley Smith, plant nutrient researcher for RAW nutrients, and co-creator of Ionic Mother Plant and Clonex, breaks down individual nutrients...

The only way to become the a good at anything is to read about it and learn all you can about it, and if it's something you love why not become an expert in it? The best place for anyone to start is at the beginning and make sure we didn't overlook anything, so let's go back to the basics.
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          I met Harley at a grow show nice guy

Just finished watching both of Harley Smith's videos and they were great. Thank you Greenthumb and everyone else for your help.

Comment

• PigSquishy
          PigSquishy commented
          Editing a comment
          I am happy I was able to help

Your welcome.
        Cfls for a week or two
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

Newf do you have a lux meter .after reading nebulas tutorial on lighting I bought one what a difference a Plant can only use max 85000 lux above this is a waste and usually as a bulb gets older it doesn't produce the same light it gets weaker with time. I always give my plants silica thought it was to give them bigger trunks and branches who knew, that's why I love this forum you can always learn something new
          new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
          current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Silica,as I understand it makes the plants harder for insects to eat or at least ( tougher skin) to bite through...lol

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X