First grow/3rd week lessons learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow/3rd week lessons learned

I figured I'd post some learning experiences from the first 3 weeks of my first grow. Here is my set-up:

3x3 grow tent, two GH waterfarms, Viparspectra PAR 600 LED, 4" filtered fan. Light on for 18/6, temps in the 77-81 range, relative humidity 41-57.

I germed 2 White Widow Canuck seeds which popped in 3 days under a humidity dome. The seedlings were put into Rapid Rooters and installed in the waterfarms with pHed water and nutrients. Now for my first mistake:

*I did not check the pH until about day 3. One plant's pH was off the chart basic, the other a bit less basic. The first pic is the plant with the off the chart pH. She eventually died and was put to rest in a Peace Lily. The second pic is the plant that was saved. I fixed the pH by checking/adjusting every day (I started off with drops and just bought a pH pen that speeds up the process). I learned that proper pH cannot be underestimated! There was also a massive amount of scale on the clay and reservoir. I solved the scale problem by using RO water. I believe this also helps stabilize the pH (the water is very alkaline in my area).

*Second mistake. I used 1/2 nutrients right off the bat. I'm not sure if my original problem was nutrient burn , so I gave the surviving plant pHed RO water for a week and then started on 1/8 nutrients with a reduced dose of Hydroguard. Since then the plant appears to be properly vegging with some yellow roots. The third pic is the saved plant at 3 weeks, the fourth pic are its roots. I've since flushed the saved plant, cleaned the reservoir, and used the suggested dose of Hydroguard. Initially, I failed to cover the base of the plant with clay stones and saw green growth on the Rapid Rooter. During the flush and cleaning I covered up the base of the plant with clay stones. Using my lessons learned I've also planted another White Widow that is a week old seedling and doing well. I used the GWE forum and some members responded to my "sick plants" post to guide my grow. Thanks to all!

You are right PH is extremely important, looks like your doing a good job now ,keep up the good work ,and good luck.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Given the root problem I have, I recalled growers placing reflective plates at the base of the plant which reflects the majority of the light that may go into the reservoir creating a breeding ground for bacteria. My version is cardboard and HVAC tape. Nothing new, just putting into practice what I've learned here.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        GREAT JOB, Deez!! We learn so much from our mistakes!! So glad to see you started another seedling.

Your first baby looks great!! Just nurture those roots along so they get nice and thick and abundant (relative to size of plant). And keep the light out of the reservoir; I can tell you horror stories about brown algae and light leaks (or maybe I already did!!) ;-}

Hey Deez I dont do hydro but I wanted to mention that I use voodoo juice the first two weeks after transplanting it gives the girls a huge root system .its well worth the expense just sharing good luck
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the VJ is awesome, too. And a bottle lasts because you only use it for two weeks at start of veg and bloom.

Thanks everyone! My nutrient schedule is the following:

For the 3 week "saved" plant AN nutrients in an 8.5L waterfarm:
      Base nutrients- Grow, Micro, Bloom 32mL per
      Supplements- B-52, VooDoo Juice 15mL per
      HydroGuard- 9mL

Seedling in 8.5L waterfarm
      Base- 15mL per
      Supplements- 8mL per
      HydroGuard- 9mL

I've calculated a mL less than the AN nutrient chart for the saved plant and 1/4 strength for the seedlings. My dosing is through GWE research and measured in a medical syringe. I'm charting the doses to see what works. I may dive into TDS measuring next grow.

I've done some light LST as well. I tried the tuck method but during the light/watering cycle the leaves popped back. I figure this is a good sign as they are absorbing water and nutrients!

Comment

I'm closing in on the 5th week of this grow and fining tuning the tent and plants. I've had a problem with brown algae and believe its due to light leaks in the reservoir. The proceeding is based on my personal opinion: I believe the reservoir level tube on the GH hydrofarm collects light and is a breeding ground for algae. I found algae growing in the tube. Today I broke down the waterfarm and cleaned with a mild bleach solution. I taped up the reservoir level tube leaving a small window to view the water level. Hopefully this will solve any excessive light coming in through the tube. The pic with the angry birds duct tape on the tube illustrates this. I upgraded my airstones to large to get more oxygen to the roots and move the water around more. Lastly, I removed all of the clear tubing and replaced it with black.

Comment

When I removed the grow basket I set it in a plant stand that was in the sink. As it sat, I gently sprayed the roots with a spray bottle containing pHed RO water. A lot of the algae washed away although the roots have a yellow tinge to them. The first pic from the left show the roots prior to the spray, the next pic is after. I believe this helped and hopefully it will restore some vitality to the plant. As I was washing the plant, I found that the main stalk was broken! Judging from the brown coloring of the broken edge I believe I snapped it more than a week ago when I lifted the grow basket out of the reservoir and mashed the top of the plant against the grow light (I forgot to lift it during the water change). I taped it up. Its probably stunted, but plant has been growing pretty well even with a broken stem! Despite all of my mistakes I am amazed how resilient these plants are! Thx for the advice alltatup!

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Deez, your roots look great!!! In both pics they look good, so you are taking care of the problem. They should be cream-colored like that. FANTASTIC SAVE!!! Love the angry birds duct tape!!!! Such a good job!!!!!

Another update:
          It's day 37 for the "saved" plant. It appears to be thriving ok and in the pre-flowering stage. I'm using the AN recommended nutrient schedule which seems to be working. The brown algae problem has slowed down but is still growing in the reservoir. I'm adding 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract (NutriBiotic Vegan GSE) per 2.25 gal. Lastly, I lost a nice bud sight due to overaggressive LST. Initially I bent the stem appropriately, but I believe during the watering/lighting stage it plumped up. The LST anchor prohibited this "plump-up" movement and snapped. I attempted to tape it but it was not able to be saved. Lesson learned...

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            She's looking good, Deez!!! If algae is still growing, keep trying to figure out what's causing it. And if there are no light leaks, maybe up the dose of GSE a little. I'm hoping it goes away altogether and never darkens your doorstep again!!!

Day 25 from seed plant seems to be ok. There is some leaf discoloration that I think may be from the top feed water dripping on the leaves. The roots are developing nicely. I'll keep a close eye on her. I also added 10 drops of GSE to combat the brown algae.

Comment

Pic update: week 6 in flower. The plant is still growing strong with bud sites popping up throughout. I have a problem with yellow leaf tips that I'm trying correct. The height continues to climb...apx 2'8". I've tied the top to the tent pole that allows another 4" between the top and the LED. The smaller plant is vegging ok. Dealing with some mottling/light green/yellow hues on leaves. The time difference between the two plants is 3 weeks (same Canuck seeds WW autofem strain)

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              The big one looks very good!! I hope you aren't still having algae problems; it's really the bane of hydro growers' existence, isn't it...

• deezplantz
              deezplantz commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm pretty sure the algae problem with the big one has been solved. I've managed to reduce it significantly for the small one. At the end of each harvest it'll be interesting to see how each turns out. thx alltatup!

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Good news!!! If they stay green and healthy on top, you got it made!!!

Plant #1. Day 49 from seed, 2nd week of flower. I'm happy with the progress of plant #1. Despite the mistakes, especially snapping and the subsequent repair of the main stem, the plant is doing great. With this being my first grow I have no idea of what to expect in terms of yield (canuck seeds white widow autofem). I've done some research and I believe this auto is exceeding expectations of height and yield. It is very bushy and is apx. 4' tall. There is apx. 20 major bud sites and nuggies on the lower branches. To growers familiar with this strain...is this normal or is this an exceptional plant?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X