What is the best time/temperature combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best time/temperature combination

My question is this, what is the best temperature and for how long, gives the best de-carburizing of the bud and / or trim? I have smoked for years (and can tell it!), but I am trying different methods to use the bud. So far, all of the other methods end up with 'leftovers' (and most of the tutorials say that it is good to use in edibles. I started thinking (I know, as scary situation! LOL), why not just clean, dry, crush (or grind) the bud and decarb it, put it into caps and enjoy?
    I would like to know at what temperature and for how long, do the cannabinoids change? I tried a small batch of bud at 230° F (from the canna cap receipt) and they seemed to work O.K.. Would a lower temperature for a longer time be better? Or would a higher temperature be better?
    Thanks for any input and / or suggestions (well, within reason! LOL).
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

250° for 1 hr. What ive always used. never any isdues.
    ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks UrbZ, I wondered if a higher (no pun intended) temperature would work better. I do not know what the temperature of combustion for cannabis is, other organics (wood, paper, etc.) burn at 450° F and higher.
      Thanks for Your response.

Personally I would keep it 250 (F) or less. Warmer works faster but risks loss of terpenes. I go 200-220 for about an hour.
    Organic only soil grower
    Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
    Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for Your information. The last batch I baked at 245° F for 2 and 1/2 hours, the batch before that was at 225° F for 2 and 1/2 hours. The only visual difference was the batch baked at the higher temperature was a little darker brown. Both times the bud was baked in a sealed (folded over) aluminum foil pouch.

Foil works good. You might also try a pint canning jar with lid screwed just slightly tight. You do want the CO2 to be able to gas off as it decarbs.
    Organic only soil grower
    Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Canyon Grower, Would it make any difference (good or bad) if the bud was still moist when it is decarbs, or should it be dried out first?

DW2 if its very dry, you might avoid extracting some of the chlorophyll. Its the reason some people freeze their buds and everclear before they mix and shake. If the water fraction is frozen then its not available to dissolve chlorophyll. My experience is that if you only allow the ethanol (everclear) to soak the bud for about 45-60 seconds you avoid most of the chlorophyll, fats and lipids to begin with and you still get most if not all the cannabinoids and terpenes. If you then expose it to sunlight for about 15-30 min the chlorophyll is destroyed. But it does darken your tincture somewhat, a lovely amber. I just use my bud straight from my storage/curing jars. You can decarb before soaking and then let stand with a paper towel over it- if you want a reduced volume- like RSO or honey hash oil. Or, you can decarb after extraction. This kind of locks you into a reduced volume because you have to heat your extracted liquid and at least some of the ethanol will boil off. Hope this helps.
    BTW, I made some today. If I remember I will post a pic here, provided I can figure out how.
    Organic only soil grower

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information. I probably did not make myself clear about what I am trying. I am not 'extracting' any of the bud, I'm just curing, drying and cleaning ("stems and seeds, that you don't need' to quote an old song! LOL), and baking it. I then fill up some number '0' size capsules (the volume of the #0 is approximately similar to the amount I use when 'taking a hit'). I am trying to avoid the hacking and associated draw backs of smoking, but still receiving the beneficial effects. All of the extraction methods that I have read about always seem to indicate that there is not a complete extraction of the terpines, they all indicate that the leftovers are good for edibles. I am cheap, and do not want to waste anything, so, I thought that this might be a solution, I'm just not sure at what temperature and for how long does one need to bake the bud to achieve the best effects.

DW2 , sorry I miss-interpreted your question. Regarding what you plan to do. I think you are on to something. What you propose should work splendidly. I decarb at 220 F for about an hour and it has worked well for me....my two bits.
    "acapulco gold is bad ass weed". 😉
    ​​​​​​
    Organic only soil grower

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Canyon Grower, Not a problem, I'm not always clear to myself! (LOL) I have tried the 'bake and cap' on some of my last grow and it seems to be working out, I just do not want to ruin any of it by over cooking it (or loose effect by under cooking it as well). So far, I think that all that I have read about using edibles is true, lasts longer and has a stronger effect, than smoking. Also, if I was to light up a joint, I do not want to get attacked by some 'Zealots' thinking that it was a cigarette! (LOL)
      Thanks again for Your input.

Comment

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats what I used till I got a NOVA decarboxylator. Workrf out pretty well.

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      THANK YOU very much Dutchman1! That is the data that I was needing to decarb without destroying the beneficial effects. Does the NOVA. decarboxylator contain or control the odor? when baking in the oven, the whole house gets smelly, not that I mind the smell, but I do not wish 'others' to detect it.

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you decarboxylate cured weed there is no smell till you open it and even then it's light. If you do fresh uncured weed I've heard it smells a little stronger but I haven't done that yet personally. I love the nova, I'll never use the oven again.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X