Making chocolate edibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making chocolate edibles

I want to make my own sugar free chocolate edibles. What's the best way to cook the weed to add to the chocolate so that I can measure my dose (this much per chocolate). This is for medical purposes so I do need to measure my dose.

Thanks for any tips.

You will first need to decarb the weed and next make some type of infused oil. Most use either butter or coconut oil for chocolates. If using butter clarify it first and add a bit of Lecithin as an emulsifier. Use this oil to make your chocolate. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any question about the above steps.

Comment

I have no idea what process making chocolate implies but you have to make a concentrate with oil or butter to add to your mix. Only trial and error will tell how much is enough. It depends on many factors

Comment

Hi Formernuke.
        It's very tough to get an exact dosage until you get your weed tested and know the levels of its active ingredients. If you grew from seed, I guess you could work with the breeder's active ingredient levels and lower them by 20% or so to make up for marketing optimism.
        Ultimately though I think 9fingerleafs is right -- you have to sue trial and error to find out what works for you.
        Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

• Tika
          Tika commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes BTB is correct. The lab testin( Santa Cruz Lab example). Gives you a fact list according to the material you send in.
          It also costs a bunch of money to get it done.
          You can crock pot your butter on lowwww / warm heat with the ground cannabis and that way you have just butter. For 1.5 lb unsalted butter I about 2 oz bud crockpotting do to the heat- decarbs it. Takes about 12 hours.

• Beach_Town_Brit
          Beach_Town_Brit commented
          Editing a comment
          This might be a route to better estimating our weed's strength in the future: https://www.cdxlife.com/canna-sensor/
          For now it's a pretty compromised product but I think it has a interesting future.

I'm getting a test kit to test CBD and THC so I'll know the starting. What I'm wondering is what is the best medium for making it for chocolates, alcohol based or fat based so I can then measure out and add to each chocolate.

Comment

Hello formernuke, you'll get a much more concentrated product going alcohol based. This is great in that it allows you to have smaller pieces of candy with higher doses (if that benefits you). The downside is that it requires you to be very very thorough in the mixing process and ensuring the product is as dissolved and distributed in the candy mix as much as possible.

Basically you make your product (oil or alcohol based). Test it; this will allow you to calculate the total THC content of your whole batch of butter (I can go into more details there if you like; I use TLC testing and went through a bunch of trial and error). One you have the total THC content, you calculate how much THC should be in each gram of butter/oil. From there, you can calculate how much total THC will be in your entire batch of candy based on your recipe. Then after you make your candies, you weight the entire completed batch of candy product. That will allow you to calculate how much THC should be in each gram of candy. Then by weighing each candy, you have precise dosage. I make caramels this way. I used to try to cut each caramel to be the exact same weight down to 10th of a gram, in order to make every piece the same dose... man, that was horrendous 🤢 Now I just eyeball it and end up with different size doses... some 14mg, some 54mg.

Sorry if that was too much detail... I like being precise with my dosage as well...

As far as which medium for chocolate, you'll get a more solid end product using alcohol based vs butter/oil... but really depends on your recipe. If the recipe is new, I recommend trying the recipe with unmedicated alcohol/oil product first... speaking from disappointing experience 😉

Comment

• Formernuke
            Formernuke commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks that's just the information I'm after. I'm thinking maybe alcohol based and add measured amounts to each piece or weigh out the pieces as I pour.
            Last edited by Formernuke; 05-27-2017, 02:17 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Ok so played with some cocoa powder and coconut oil today. How do I get the powder to disolve fully into the oil? I used a double boiler on low heat for about 2.5 hours and still wound up with very grainy chocolate.

Comment

• bblv
            bblv commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello formernuke, I've only made straight chocolate once... it was a bit too bitter and meltable for my liking, but a great paleo option if that's what you're after. It should be 1:1 cocoa powder to oil amount. And it may be that the double boiler doesn't get hot enough. Directly into a pot on low isn't hot enough to degrade your cannaoil much (if at all) but it should be hot enough to dissolve the powder. It will end up being chocolate that requires refrigeration. It'll start melting just a couple minutes at room temp, in case that matters.

Thanks I'll try higher heat next tI'm and see if that helps

Comment

What test kit are you using if I can ask?
            Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
            Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
            GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
            photoperiod feminized seeds
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• bblv
              bblv commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello Tika, if you're asking me, I use the TLC test kit from Cannalytics Supply. It ends up running about $20/plate of testing and you can test 5 samples per plate (refill price). Initial cost is $30/plate. However, I recently ordered the tcheck.me tester... can't wait for it to arrive 😁😁😁.

Interesting. I have looked at some over the few years but unwilling to make the investment until someone verifies it
            i hope you will keep this topic going- very valuable info thank you bblv
            Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
            Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
            GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
            photoperiod feminized seeds
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X