R,O, systems 4 stage or 5 stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R,O, systems 4 stage or 5 stage

Water here at the store averages ,85 a gal. I am looking into R.O. systems (the table top models) is a 5 stage enough to provide me low PPM numbers? I live in a retirement area. People here buy lots of Distilled water for medical device use. Sometimes the store is sold out and I have to travel out of my area to buy grow water.
    Last edited by dontknownuttin; 05-25-2017, 08:55 AM.

I'm curious why more people don't use rain water. It's free and mine is perfect ph. Is rain water bad?

Comment

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't. I know my place in this forum and it's not my technical prowess! Wait, what is my place again!? Thanks for the clarification though. 9fl, have I ever told you how much I liked your pot idea, such a good one.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks jeg, im guessing you talk about plastic pots fill with holes and a fabric interior. it works pretty well but demands daily attention and waterings, great for young plants

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      I've learned that they dry out faster. I made my own version. Crude but functional

Originally posted by Jeg View Post
    I'm curious why more people don't use rain water. It's free and mine is perfect ph. Is rain water bad?
    My area gets 3-8 inches rain A YEAR!

Comment

Oh my bad. I guess that's one reason. I personally have like a dozen 2liter bottles filled up waiting. It rained a lot this week. I dumped out two of those 55liter tubs cause I ran out of bottles. Do you think rain is ok?

Comment

• BuddMarsh
        BuddMarsh commented
        Editing a comment
        Rainwater is great to use, so use it if you can.

You could filter your own water instead of using RO water. http://www.clear2o.com/ Filtering your own water means you are not throwing away water and it is faster and cheaper to make.

Comment

Expense is of no concern at this end. 0 ppm water is a concern at this end. I need to produce 0 PPM water at home how many stage filter do I need.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          My only advice is get a cheap water filter to pre-filter the water before the RO system. This will keep clean the ro filters for longer and it will help a lot reduce ppm

The amount of dissolved solids in water produced by reverse osmosis is approximately a constant percentage of those in the feed water. The rate is 90-95% of the feed water so the lower the incoming PPM of the water the lower the output water is. To get 0 PPM you will need to go to a Distilled water system.

Comment

Dontknownuttin sorry to digress, just have to say best n most adorable profile photo EVERRRR. Oh those chubby cheeks!!! Too sweet n cute.

Comment

Now, back to my question. Is a 5 stage RO needed if so best on counter model and required stages for lowest PPM.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Like buddmars said. It's going to depend on the water you are starting with. Just remember water close to 0 ppm is practically useless and you cannot even measure it with a tds meter. Somewhere around 0.1 - 0.2 it's the minimal EC you should work with

What is your source water like? If you have lots of Chlorine, you may want to have a couple carbon filters before your membrane as Chlorine can damage the RO membrane. If want to get to 0 PPM, you either need fairly good source water or a DI stage after your membrane.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X