Air Scrubbing and Carbon Filterering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Scrubbing and Carbon Filterering

So I walk into my grow shed and I smell the faint smell of green. I open the inner insulated room and it smells more- but still not enough to attract attention. I am flowering 2 autos - and I am thinking about getting ready to modify and start running a carbon filter. I do need some assistance. I did also read Nebulas posts regarding - but I feel this topic is huge- and what are you all using- what works best- whats quiet- and when you say quiet- compare it to something of similar noise.

So I have a 8 x 4 x 6 foot high room- estimated 8 x 4 x 6 x 1.33 gives me around 255 CFM- resulting in my estimated 6" carbon filter setup needed to deal with smells.

I want to hang the carbon filter in the ceiling, duct it over to the fan- which sucks the stinky air out of the grow room replacing it with non smelling air. I send the duct outside of the grow room into the 'shed'

Now here are my issues:

Did I calculate correctly?
    When I run the fan do I run it 24/7?
    Doesnt that fan suck out the hot air in the room ? Im afraid I will be losing alot of heat by doing this. Any open hole in the tent will technically be sucking cold air in- and shooting hot air out- so my passivish intake is useless cuz this fan sucking the odor out- and displacing the air into the main open non grow space- pulling any air from the outside in.....

Am I missing something here?

How long do you all run the filters?

What are the good quiet ones out there? Not looking for high budget-

If you are worried about smell, why do you want it to go outside? Are you isolated enough, no close neighbors?

Comment

I am worried about the smell. - im looking to add a carbon scrubber in the tent and send the exhausted filtered air out of the tent.... no?

Comment

24/7 a must...it's nice that the air gets replaced and sucks out heat....you will notice it will stay pretty warm if your light makes it warm in there

Comment

OK, I never worried about smell in tent. I only worried about smell getting in house and seeping out the crack around our garage door. Maybe I'm missing some important factor here. We did leave our tent flaps open about halfway during light cycle and had gentle fan breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by insomniaczzz View Post
            OK, I never worried about smell in tent. I only worried about smell getting in house and seeping out the crack around our garage door. Maybe I'm missing some important factor here. We did leave our tent flaps open about halfway during light cycle and had gentle fan breeze.
            Who knows? But you do not want the mail man to get a wiff of your grow do ya?. My neighbors bedroom window is only 20 feet away from my air port to the outside. I got a oversize carbon filter.

Comment

I guess our setup is just different. While we obviously have that smell, it never got overwhelming. Always provided plenty of fresh air during the day. I do have to say now that they are drying the smell is increasing. Luckily, our mail box is across the street from our house and we do not get many unexpected knocks on our door. Fed Ex and UPS deliveries , those guys are in such a rush to leave package at door and get back in truck, they wouldn't think twice about a strange odor. We only have a single car garage attached to house and open and close that door into laundry room as quickly as possible. We keep the car parked about a foot away from the garage door, to deter anyone coming too close. We've had people in the house a few times, used some glade wax burners which do a great job masking other odors.

On a humorous note, when we started this process, I cut up bell peppers, onions and garlic, mixed together and put baggies full in the freezer. In a pinch, my plan would be to grab a sautΓ© pan, add a splash of olive oil and start cooking those things up. Now that smell will mask anything. Haven't had to do it though.

Comment

which are the better scrubbers out there? Any quiet fan recommendations?

Comment

• NebulaHaze
                  NebulaHaze commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have one piece of advice for any exhaust fan to avoid extra vibration. If you hang the exhaust fan from something (for example with rope ratchets from the ceiling) it will run a lot more quietly than if you actually set it down on something. Hanging my exhaust fan in my tent made it quiet enough I could keep it in my bedroom

What filter do u trust NebulaHaze? You are the one most everyone on here looks up to? I'm stuck between a phat and a phresh? The phat has better reviews but phresh has more sales making there review pool bigger with more people to set them up wrong. Also I to have my 6x16 and 6" fan hanging in my tent and u can see the polls bend a bit. I've read if plastic connectors you shouldn't hang that much weight? Idk its working great for me and like u said real quite but any thoughts? Thanks

Comment

Hey I actually have a pretty small tent, but I kind of overkilled it on my whole exhaust system (was living in Iowa at the time) I have a 6" 240cfm exhaust fan, with an iPower filter. Now I know they don't have the greatest reviews, but it was the best for my price at the time, and this baby has worked perfect for me so far! The one thing I would definitely change is my fan, and that's because it's kind of cheap and doesn't even have a speed controller, that thing just runs.
                  I have my setup running 24/7 (minus my light) and I too have my fan hanging from the top of my tent to make the noise quieter..
                  If you would like to see how it's all set up, I have a picture of two over at my thread "first grow Forum: Cherry OG" 😊
                  I hope I was able to help a little bit! And I'm so sorry if I had forgotten any details, I'll be sure to edit πŸ˜…

Comment

• Wattze
                    Wattze commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh 100%! The only thing to make sure it'll work properly is to get a nice fan, that'll put the icing on the cake for ya 😊 Mine is a 240CFM, but it doesn't have speed controller or anything :/ it usually makes my tent bow, but I have a tiny tent lol it's like a 2 1/2ft X 3ft X 6ft. So maybe a slightly stronger fan.. but the iPower filter is big! And I want to say you can even replace the carbon inside 😊 I hope I was of more assistance!

• Joshnup2
                    Joshnup2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome man that will save me a lot of $. My fan does 440cfm but has speed controle. I have some small friends in veg and they reak up my place already so needless to say ive been freaking out!! Need a new filter asap!! Thanks again

• Wattze
                    Wattze commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No problem, my friend! I hope it works out! I was in Iowa when I started growing, and it was stinking horribly by week 3 veg, so I needed to do something before I had some unexpected visitors! That filter plugged into my fan fixed the problem right up! Up until you break that seal to play with em πŸ˜‰ Which is totally worth it lol

Im still looking for a good combo kit- no rush. Its the crap time and nobody is outdoors right now. If you looked above my neighborhood and dropped a grow room "somewhere" in the block....my shed location is just perfect. The only time you smell anything is if you go in the door- and if you are going in you are likely doing so to get high, so bravo. You smelled the herb Its detached and about as far from humans interaction as humanly possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshnup2 View Post
                    What filter do u trust NebulaHaze? You are the one most everyone on here looks up to? I'm stuck between a phat and a phresh? The phat has better reviews but phresh has more sales making there review pool bigger with more people to set them up wrong. Also I to have my 6x16 and 6" fan hanging in my tent and u can see the polls bend a bit. I've read if plastic connectors you shouldn't hang that much weight? Idk its working great for me and like u said real quite but any thoughts? Thanks
                    I use 6" x 16" Phresh filter with a Can Max 6" fan, though I have had pretty good luck with all the brands of carbon filters I've tried. I think the most important thing is to get a big enough carbon filter and combine with a strong enough fan. The ducting needs to be airtight between the carbon filter and where the air exits the tent. There also needs to be good suction (tent sides are bowing inward), so you have enough negative air pressure to keep smells from leaking out of the tent into the house

However if you set it you properly you won't smell anything inside or outside. The only exception is when you open the tent and lose the negative air pressure then you'll smell it in the room until you close the tent again

Comment

I've made a makeshift room within an outdoor shed. I have a tent within however thought running it the cieling of insulated room but That's not airtight nor is it going to bow with air pressure. I've several intake and exhaust kits running small pc and small vent blowers. Nothing that will accept a carbon filter however I'm now wondering where to put it. The tent will be good but the autos on the outside of tent will be throwing odor

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161102-152314.png
Views:	189
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	10519 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161102-152307.png
Views:	195
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	10520

​​​​​​​This is what I have....under$400...kicks ass

Comment

Originally posted by NebulaHaze View Post

I use 6" x 16" Phresh filter with a Can Max 6" fan, though I have had pretty good luck with all the brands of carbon filters I've tried. I think the most important thing is to get a big enough carbon filter and combine with a strong enough fan. The ducting needs to be airtight between the carbon filter and where the air exits the tent. There also needs to be good suction (tent sides are bowing inward), so you have enough negative air pressure to keep smells from leaking out of the tent into the house

However if you set it you properly you won't smell anything inside or outside. The only exception is when you open the tent and lose the negative air pressure then you'll smell it in the room until you close the tent again
                          Awesome your the best!!!! Thanks so much for all you do!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X