Germinate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germinate

Finally got my seeds from planet skunk gunna grow in coco just wondering watt the best germination plan is the best i do have jiffy pellets not sure how to use them though. Thanks

My only advice would be. Don't go overboard with the water. A little bit will do. Damp seeds drown

Comment

There are several different schools of thought on germination and all have their merits. I have used Jiffy pellets and they were ok but not great. Currently I am having great success with the following. I place seeds in warm tap water for about 12 to 18 hours and try to make sure they sink to the bottom (sometimes they need a little tap to sink after a few hours.) Then I place in a wet paper towel folded over and covered so it doesn't dry out. I check every 8 hours or so. The minute I see the tap root starting to pop out I place into a Rapid Rooter and into a plastic domed germinator (actually the one that came with my original Jiffy pellets) and under a low watt fluorescent grow light. Many folks skip the first step of soaking (you definitely do not want to leave under water too long or it will drown the seed) and the second step in the paper towel (note:if you leave too long the tap root will pop way out and is very fragile to plant.) Some folks just put the seed straight in the soil and wait and hope. If you do use the Jiffy Pellets you can soak or paper towel first then put the "popped" seed into a soaked pellet (they have a small hole) or you can just put a new seed in a soaked pellet. Then the pellet needs to be kept warm and moist (not sitting in water though) preferable under a plastic cover. After the plant pops out it will like some light but nothing too harsh/close/hot. When it has a couple of leaves and appears to be growing well just put the Pellet (or Rapid Rooter etc.) directly into your growing medium.

Comment

So dont soak the seeds

Comment

You can soak first if you want. I do but many do not. Just be sure not to leave the seeds in water for more than about 18 hours. You can also put a dry seed into a presoaked Jiffy Pellet, (or Rapid Rooter etc.)
          I prefer to do the soak and paper towel method because I actually see the tap root starting to come out and I know the seed is viable before putting into the Rapid Rooter. I watch closely so that I see the root just as it is breaking out of the seed and is not as fragile.

Comment

I agree you can try the different methods and your climate is going to be a factor. But drowning seeds thinking they need more water is common. The key is patience. If you soak your seed the medium you put it into won't need to be watered all the time. If you don't soak the seed then is going to need a bit more water but not much. Some things you just have to try and see

Comment

This is too long to wait to put in Pellet or Rooter. The tap root is long and fragile. It was my first grow but fortunately was successful

Comment

No worries i got 5 to play with so fingers crossed

Comment

• OzBud
                  OzBud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I grabbed a sandwich bag of industrial hemp seeds at my last job (there was over a million kg of them so I didn't think they'd miss any) to try out some different germination and training techniques. Still haven't done anything with them lol.

I soak for about 4-6 hours then if they're not popped I put them in a paper towel over night. As soon as they pop I put them in dirt. Not sure if it was the ground I put them in or what, but I haven't had good luck with roots spreading out of pellets. I bury them shallow and water a few drips at a time keeping moist. Add dirt around it as it grows an inch or so. Roots will do up a 20 oz disposable cup in just a few weeks so replant quickly not to stall growth.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X