First time growers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time growers

Hi everone..... I have been growing three Autoflower plants its been about 4 weeks and over the past 2 days my plants have just become yellow I dont knw if it is a nitrogen difficiency I havent given any NUTRIENTS to the plants yet im using normal putting soil and im using a viparspectra 600 watt led..... I dont know if the plants can be saved or start fresh.... The plants are auto White widow and auto blue Amnesia by dianafem.... Any help will be greatly appreciated

Your potting soil must have nutrients in it before you started.
    Start over, use different potting soil. Also, I didn't see any perlite in your mixture.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Darth weeder
      Darth weeder commented
      Editing a comment
      Im in the middle of Africa so getting perlite is not possible im using 5 gallon smart pots.... And yes the pooting soil had NUTRIENTS in it.... So do you think its a Nutrient burn

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I think it is nutrient burn. No perlite, then mix in some small rocks into your soil. Even a small mixture of sand would help.

Some of the leaves look a bit twisted, like when you overwater... do you let your soil dry before watering again?

Comment

• Darth weeder
      Darth weeder commented
      Editing a comment
      I always do the reson its looking like that because I decided to flush it before taking the pic I have smart pots so what ever except water drains out.... And I wait until the top inch is complete dry..... But my soil already came with Fertilizer so im wondering if that could be the reson for the slow grow....I germinated Directly into the smart pots.... Do you think it could be a nute burn and maybe because of the excessive Fertilizer in the soil it slowed down the growth

How old are your plants? You wrote four weeks...that can't be right..

Comment

• Darth weeder
      Darth weeder commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah bro really it haha been 4 weeks if you read my post below to nebula you would get a beter idea any help will be much appreciated

They look like they're suffering from symptoms of overwatering. It's really easy to "drown" seedlings, especially in heavy soil in big containers. Your soil looks very thick and I think that may be a big factor. If you don't have a way to lighten up the soil (here's some ideas about what kind of soil you want) then you need to give them less water at a time, and wait until they dry out a little before giving them more. Seedlings need oxygen or they get root problems, and soggy soil doesn't have any oxygen. If you have a nearby garden store, ask them for a well-draining, light potting mix.

These are very small for auto-flowering plants that are a month old. Although I think it's possible to get them growing again, I'm not sure if it'll be worth your while to grow them for another two months until harvest because I don't think they'll produce a lot of bud. I wouldn't necessarily kill these ones if you want to keep practicing on them, but I do think it's a good idea to start another set of plants to grow alongside these ones.

Can you tell us about your watering habits? What's the temperature and humidity in there?

Comment

• Darth weeder
      Darth weeder commented
      Editing a comment
      My tempreture range from 23 degrees celcius to 29 degrees and for humidity anywhere between 50 to 65 percent defending on the time of day.... The reson it looks like that is because I watered them before taking the pictures I wanted to flush them.... ..... Im using 5 gallon smart pots I got that idea from reading on the growweedeasy website..... I water when the top inch is dry and I always makesure I have a run off..... But nebula I forgot to mention that their was already a Fertilizer mixed in the soil and it also said it had worm castings for the Fertilizer it dint state the npk ratio....... And those plants sprouted on the 6 of april in the smart pots but they juss dint seem to grow as fast as other peoples..... When I watered the plants I always Ph it to between 6.2 and 6.9 I had an extra aquairium pump so I used to always add extra oxygen to my water

Comment

Worm castings are great, you can almost grow seedlings directly in it. I don't think that's what's causing your problem. The reason I say overwatering isn't just because of the soil looking thick/wet, but also because of the small overall size for their age, curling, and spots. Those are classic signs of chronic overwatering or root problems. Aerating the water only lasts a little while after watering the plants, and if the soil is staying wet for days, that air is long gone. The humidity being up to 65% RH likely also contributes to the soil taking a long time to dry out. It might not even be that you're giving too much water, or too often, it could just mean that the soil is too thick to really dry out and provide air spaces for the roots to get oxygen.

If you're going to continue growing these plants, I would let the soil dry out quick a bit and then start giving them just a little water at a time in a little circle around the base. Once they start actually growing bigger, you can give more at a time until you're actually saturating the whole medium. You also want to see if you can keep the humidity under 50%, and you might consider getting a gentle fan and blowing it over the top of your plants to help dry out the soil and increase overall airflow.

For your next grow, if you can't get lighter soil or mix in something like perlite, you might consider starting them in a smaller container at first, like plastic party cups. It's a LOT easier to water them properly when there's just a little soil in a cup - it dries quickly and the roots always get tons of oxygen. Once the leaves reach past the edges of the cup, you could transplant them into your final 5-gallon containers at that point. Or you could start them in 5-gallon containers, but just water them more lightly and less often until they actually are growing lots of new leaves every day.

It sounds like you've got a good setup, and it's just a matter of getting everything dialed in

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X