The 11/13 flowering schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 11/13 flowering schedule

Ever heard of DJ Short? He's the creator of Blueberry and Flo amongst other great strains. Michigan native too...

Listening to the Free Weed potcast, they used to have these grower panels at the Cannabis Cup. He would mention using an 11/13 flowering schedule to induce phenotypic expressions. Things like foxtailing in Sativas. Additionally, your plants are supposed to ripen faster and the added benefit of saving 1 hour of electricity every day. He claimed no loss in yields, but I can't see how that's possible.

This also segways into a diminishing light schedule where you start off at 12/12 then gradually click back your lights to 11/13 and even 10/14.

I'm on the fence with it all, personally, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

I'm hoping this gets some informed responses as I was thinking of doing this. I read somewhere (maybe here??) that you can give your plants a little nudge to speed up bud production with that extra hour of darkness for a week or two. I did start my flower cycle with a solid 36 hours of darkness at the beginning. A few hermied on me, but I don't this it was from that.

Comment

Hey Royal,

That's a very deep topic. Kind of made me scratch my head. I've been toying with the idea of light schedule, but haven't put anything to the test as of late. The only experiment I've ever conducted concerning lighting was I ran my last Automatic 24/7. A Cheese Fondue from Canadian Seed Lab. No different than running my traditional 18/6 other than some minor light burn. She didn't even finish early. I have yet to cultivate an autoflower that hasn't finished under three months. Personally, I think the ladies need a rest. Saving an hour of electricity, now that could add up. It's definitely something to think about. Just a side note, he's a master breeder and has brought a lot of iconic strain's to table, but $20.00 + for a regular seed! Come on.

Just my two cents,

DirtyNerd

Comment

From what I've seen and learned from other growers, a 11/13 schedule will make buds mature faster, and be ready to harvest sooner. However, the yields appear to be reduced in proportion to how much light your plant is losing. If your plant is losing an hour of light a day, and then loses 2 weeks of the flowering stage because it's ready to harvest early, your yields will be dramatically reduced.

A 11/13 or even 10/14 schedule can be really helpful if you have an equatorial Sativa strain that would normally need months in the flowering stage, because it lets you force it to actually finish flowering in a reasonable amount of time. But it's not as great an idea with short-flowering indica strains since it will just get them to finish early and reduce your yields.

Overall it sort of seems like bud yields are closely related to how much light the plant gets in the flowering stage. An auto-flowering plant produces far more bud on an 18/6 schedule than if it's flowered on a 12/12 schedule.

Comment

There is a Haze strain from a "legendary" source that has a basis in Mexico Sativa, Columbia Sativa, Thailand Sativa and India Sativa genetics that is found in a lot of modern cannabis strains today. I believe this to be the dominant phenotype in the Moby Dick CBD in my current grow. . Well I could not get my plant to flower under 12/12 and had to go to the 11/13. There is also another poster to this forum that has an AK-48 grow in progress and it's genetics is from this same Haze genetic line. He has expressed that he is having trouble getting his plant to flower. I am going out on a cola here but I am thinking that if your plant has this Haze genetics dominant in your plant your going to need 11/13.

Comment

That's for the 20+ weeks flowering ecuatorial sativas. Trying to mimmic the photoperiod. Otherwise they just won't ripen

Comment

This is my feeding schedule suggested from Canna nutrients. I could have printed it out but this is just who I am as a person... anyway in the last couple of weeks of flower (the pre-harvest) it suggested to change light schedule for 10-12 hours of lights. This is also the week I would have to flush before harvest. I'm kind of on the fence. Cross that bridge when I get to it.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X