Draining issue in DWC setup using Perlite exclusively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draining issue in DWC setup using Perlite exclusively

Hello all -- a newbie here. My question/concern involves use of Perlite in Net Pots. If using Perlite ONLY do I need to worry about it draining out through the Net Pot holes? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy TuHai and welcome to the forum.
    The first problem might be if the perlite is, or, has small particles that could get into Your water pump and clog it or the feeder lines. Either screen out the smaller granules (less than 1/8 inch or 4mm in size), or use a pump filter bag to prevent them from clogging the pump. If the perlite will not stay in the net pots, You could use gravel, river rock, or landscaping pebbles instead. If You use the rock or gravel, be sure to wash it in water (NO bleach or soap!!) and bake it dry in the oven at 350 degrees F. for two hours, to kill bugs and spores.
    The second problem, and this may not be a problem with the perlite, but could be with other minerals, is the pH balance. The pH can be affected my many common minerals and there is a wide variety of types of minerals in the landscaping stone. Hydrotron clay pebbles are pH neutral and do not cause the pH to change.
    Good luck with Your grow.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X