SADlight for young seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SADlight for young seedlings

Can I use a SAD light box to start my seedlings?

SAD (seasonal affective disorder) lamps are "full spectrum" lights meant to mimic true sunlight. As such they have the right spectrum but may not have enough energy output (watts or lux) for significant growth. You have to check how strong the light is. Does it tell you?
    PS: We call ours the Happy Light. I have both my kids at college put one on their desks. In New England it is a necessity during the winter.

Comment

Thank you Newf, I am new to growing and plan to grow outdoors. The light box is 72watts I use it in the winter to help with my depression. Makes a good light for painting ect. I have now put bottles over the seedlings as suggested on the website. I was putting them outside for four hours a day but would like to just use the light box till there ready to go out. Off the north coast of france Thanks again much appreciated.

Comment

• Newf
        Newf commented
        Editing a comment
        That wattage won't do much for growth but might get you to the point the seedlings are ready for out of doors.

Thanks for the tip, After using the bottles for a few days they have been going out for 6 hours but still keep them under the light for 10 hours. now have friends coming to stay for a week so will have to keep them under the light all the time. fingers crossed..

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X