Cloning to determine sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning to determine sex

Hi yall! So I am sprouting some reg breeder seeds and want to sex them to reduce wasted space asap. Wondering if when i begin the manifold if I clone and immediately put the cut tops/clones into flower would they take longer to show sex because the plants will be so young? Do i even need to clone them fully or will cuttings in water show sex if under the proper light schedule? Trying to make this as simple as possible. Thank you for any help
    Current Grows:

GSC and SWEET TOOTH (flowering)

Platinum LED P600 x 2 (380 w draw at the wall each)
    4'x4'x7' grow tent
    General Organics Go Box
    ProMix HP
    1>3>7 gal smartpots
    Well water PH 6.38

SOUR BUBBLE, SOUR STRAWBERRY, LIFESAVER, GHOST OG x LEMON, BUBBA KUSH in veg

They won't start flowering until they're about 3 weeks old, but if they're that old their clones will start flowering under a 12/12 schedule as soon as they're rooted. I'm not sure if you saw it, but I recently wrote an article about how to look at the plant's preflowers in order to tell the gender while it's still in the vegetative stage. This makes it so you can identify gender without needing to take clones

Comment

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Nebula for you're response. I had read your article before but my babies in flower now didnt show anything till 8 weeks old.. the male had me questioning after 6 weeks. I just want to clear them asap. Am growing 3 of each non fem seed and all i want is 1 of each strain when Im done. Would the clones have to root to start showing sex under 12/ 12? If not been done before I may do an experiment. Just trying not to waste resources

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      My buddy just told me he's sexed with cuttings in water before, so if no early signs going to try that. Figure it will be 3 weeks at the least till theyre ready to be topped. Not going to do a full manifold because I need to fit more plants in on this round to pheno hunt.. so my hope is that some will be big enough in 4 weeks( when some space opens up) but was really hoping to give 6 weeks at least.. make em smaller but taller 😉😀 as I have easily 1.5 to 2 more feet of tent height i can utilize. The leds keep the nodes pretty compact 😄

Sounds like you've got a good plan. When you've got the space and a powerful light, you might as well use them!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X