True hermaphrodite? Question about sexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True hermaphrodite? Question about sexing

Hello everyone, first post here though not new to GWE.

I have an auto Jack from Paradise seeds that's really giving me a headache. Yesterday I discovered what seem to be pollen pods growing in the lower to mid area of the plant. I decided to cut them off, since they don't look like female calyxes at all. However, I saw one today with a pistil coming out of it. Was I wrong? Are they female calyxes after all? I attached some pictures where I circled the culprits in red. Any input welcome

DW2 Hi penny welcome to the forum. Better ask dw2. He had one plant like that a couple months ago. What ever happened with that plant man?

Comment

Howdy Penny21, and 9fingerleafs . That first photo looks like a male pollen sack with a pistil! The plant that Mr. 9 is referring to is (was, now) one that produced a nanner with a pistil popping out of it. I have had a few plants produce nanners at or near the end of the flowering cycle. The first time I saw them, I franticly plucked them as soon as I found them, but could not keep up. Those two plants produced about 150 seeds between the both of them. On this last grow (the one with the 'harry' nanner) I fixed the light leaks that I thought were causing the stress that caused the nanners, and I have (so far) only found a few (16) seeds. Penny21 , That might still be a female flower, wait a couple of days and see what it does, if it does not produce any white pistils, then you might want to remove it. From what I understand, when a nanner shows up, it has already released it's pollen, so it will not prevent any seeds by removing them. Do keep an eye out on that plant to see if any more male like sacks appear, I did have one plant that showed female traits until one day 'she' started growing 'grapes'!
      Oh, and Mr. 9, that plant is now in jars curing and coming along nicely. Penny here's the photo if the nanner.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• NebulaHaze
        NebulaHaze commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info! I didn't really think about it until just now, but another weird thing is it only had one pistil! A normal female flower has two

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        NebulaHaze, I never thought about it either, only one hair? Maybe I live where there is a warp in the Cosmos space/time continuum? Or my 'weirdness' rubbed off onto my plants!!!(LOL)

• Penny21
        Penny21 commented
        Editing a comment
        same here DW2 Had a pollen sack with only one hair coming out. I chopped it off, just in case

Thanks for the input everyone. As for now, there aren't any nanners that I can see, only pollen sacks. The canopy of the plant is producing nice flowers with lots of dual pistils, and I haven't seen any pollen sacks there. I did notice a tiny light leak on the bottom left corner of the door of my cabinet, it's quite small, the light you see in the picture is about a cm from top to bottom. Never thought that this small light leak could make such trouble. Going to fix this now.

I've got a good critical rapido from barney's farm growing alongside it. No herming on that one. Should I take Jack out and not risk pollination? Honestly, it would pain me to do that, since I only have 2 plants going. I will bow however to people with more experience than me.

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Penny21, the worst thing that will happen if You leave it is that You can get some seeds in Your buds. This will not decrease the potency of the bud but can reduce the size of the buds, but it might produce a super plant from the seeds. Fixing the light leak is a good thing, I had more nanners on my plants last July than this last grow and I believe that the reduction in nanners is due to the reduction of light leaks in my grow area.
        If You decide to keep it, You can try removing the pollen sacks (very carefully!) to reduce the chance of pollination.
        Good luck with Your grow.

Small update: I haven't seen any new pollen sacks since I've taken them off 2 days ago. I'm still watching her closely but it seems that she made up her mind of being a "her".

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha teenager girl drama

• Penny21
        Penny21 commented
        Editing a comment
        If a plant can give me this many headaches for having issues with hormones, Im not sure I should have children :/

• NebulaHaze
        NebulaHaze commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to hear!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X