Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help

My plants are 14 days old. They barely have a second set of fan leaves. Trying to figure out why there growing so slow. Have them under 400w hps 24-7. I'm growing with super soil so I have them only in 1 gallon containers, that contain coco coir only and using ph'd water at 6.5. Please help.

I'm brand new at this myself, but right off the bat, I'm going to tell you that according to this site, your pots are way too big for those seedlings. I went from plugs to 5" cow pots to 12" cow pots to their final resting place, a 3-gallon grow bag. It looks like you used plugs for sprouting the seedlings but you don't have them completely planted in your coir, I'm not sure why and I'm not sure if that would affect their growth but I would have to imagine it would. I have grown peppers, tomatoes, herbs, flowers, and other plants my whole life and you have to level your "soil" with the top of the plug. Again, I'm not an expert at MJ, but I would imagine the same basic rules will apply to it that apply to growing all plants. Plus, don't forget that at the first stage of growth, very little happens up top, all the growing is going on underground. Also, seedlings need a constant supply of water so are you sure they're getting enough? Good luck!!! I hope someone else with more experience has some advice -- I'd like to see what they have to say. I have also read that mushroom compost is a phenomenal medium for growing; I found a recipe for mixing your own -- I just found out about super soil on this website yesterday -- so I made my own soil mixture using perlite, mushroom compost, coconut coir, pelleted time-released fertilizer, coffee grounds (they lower the alkalinity so you can get a nice 6.5 pH), worm castings, and a little fine sand. You've got to sift or screen the compost so it doesn't stay in clumps. I have nine plants in different stages growing right now and I made different soil mixtures for all of them to see what would work best and the mix I am mentioning is, by far, the winner. I tried a premixed organic bagged "soil" mixture, and I tried coconut coir, cow manure, organic dirt, perlite, and some dolomite lime to keep the pH at 7.0 but the plants clearly prefer a little more acidity.

Comment

Your pot size is fine...How often do you water and how much

How far away is light source

Comment

• Roxanne
        Roxanne commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Green75, can you help me by any chance? I made a post on the forum earlier today regarding an issue I'm having with one of my plants...

Every 2 days I water unless still moist. I have 2 600w hps I only have 1 on them. I have it set at 400w and my light is 15 inches away.

Comment

Hold on...are you using super soil our coco coir...

Comment

• StoneyTony
          StoneyTony commented
          Editing a comment
          I take it he means he's started them in coco and plans to move them to super soil...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X