Sound proofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound proofing

Has anyone ever tried using soundproofing clips and channels? They're supposed to be the best for sound deadening, but I wanted to see if anyone can confirm their effectiveness before I spend more money.

Ive already tried a whole variety of other soundproofing methods and materials, such as roxul, foam, carpet, bass traps, dynamat, eggcrate, etc.; however, all of those only muffle high frequencies. I'm trying to eliminate the low frequency drone produced by my exhaust fans. The best I was able to achieve was a 10db reduction, which is better than nothing, but still far from ideal for my situation.

I'm aware of fan speed reducers, but I have my fans hooked up to automated vent controllers, which don't allow me to use fan speed reducers. Can't compromise on that either.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions everyone!

Howdy Monkey Allen,
    You can reduce some of the fan noise by reducing the transmission of the vibration of the fan to it's mounting or support structure by using 'dampers' or spring isolators. I have a 'low tech' fan mount (for the air circulation fans), they sit on a piece of corrugated cardboard held on to a block of foam rubber with duct tape. If You have 'inline' fans, a suspension system, that is flexible, could be made from elastic 'bungee' cords or something similar. Hard mounting to walls and other surfaces can amplify the vibrations, just like the body of a guitar or a violin does for the vibrations of their strings. The noise produced by the fans can be reduced by slowing down the velocity of the air by increasing the duct size. The faster that the air moves thru the ducting, the more friction and turbulence it will have, producing more sound. By going to a larger diameter of duct, the flow velocity is reduced (but not the amount (CFM)), and reduces the turbulence and the noise produced by it.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• furrysparkle
      furrysparkle commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely info!

• bobsakamoto
      bobsakamoto commented
      Editing a comment
      holy crap that was USEFUL, @DW2...totally gone upsize my out-ducts when i get around to it. Thanks!!

• Monkey Allen
      Monkey Allen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much!

Here is a photo of my noise damper for my 8" oscillating fan. Try not to laugh too hard! with out it the wall that the shelf is mounted to became an amplifier!
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Monkey Allen
      Monkey Allen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks again!

You could build a sound dampening box around the fan unit, and then as DW2 says do everything you can to isolate the box's mountings. (I use bungee cords as DW2 suggests.) The goal would be to make the sound deadening box as airtight as possible. This could include rubber gaskets to attach your conduit, special sound deadening silicone seal to seal the boxes cable inputs etc. etc. If you google around you'll find some plans.

You can get sound deadening conduit too but it's pricey.

If you wanna go hog wild you could build a "dead vent" as described here:

Do you have many bends in the path of your exhaust conduit? The straighter the conduit path the less noise it will transmit through the conduit. .
    Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

• bobsakamoto
      bobsakamoto commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you kind sir!

• Monkey Allen
      Monkey Allen commented
      Editing a comment
      All of you guys are helping me out tremendously. Thank you!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X